The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tooconfusedforyou
What's the minimum number of UMS you need in total to get an A? How do you work out what you need in Unit 3 to get an A?
I got 98 UMS in Unit 1, 77 UMS in Unit 2 and 48/50 in Unit 4 coursework.

Any help would be much appreciated!

The minimum you need is 320/400 for the total A level.

But Unit 4 is out of 80... what UMS did you get?

Btw 48/50 is amazing :colondollar:
Reply 21
Does anyone know where i can find out how to convert my raw mark coursework to ums? I can't find one from last year on the edexcel website. Anyone know? It would be great to know exactly how much ums i'm going into the exam with! Thanks
Original post by partickler
For my Sources question, I follow this format for my introduction. It's something I concluded on my own by analyzing some high level essays, so it's not OFFICIAL or anything!

- establish topic
- establish controversy
- refer to sources and their arguments generally
- hypothesis of judgement

Below is an example of an introduction I wrote for a practice essay following the above format:

"After years of oscillating confrontation and co-existence between the two nuclear superpowers, USA and the Soviet Union, the collapse of the Soviet empire in 1991 ended the battle of terror that sustained the Cold War. However, the factors that ended the Cold War and their significance have been contested by historians from all sides. Sources 4, 5 and 6 argues for the contribution of different factors to the end of the Cold War, namely the economic and political instability of the Soviet Union, Reagan’s aggressive policies and Gorbachev’s reform ‘failures’. These causes played significant roles in the outcome of the conflict, but Mikhail Gorbachev’s revolutionary leadership was arguably the most important reason for the end of the Cold War."

For those studying the Cold War, which controversy will you guys choose to focus on? The start or the end of the Cold War? I've chosen to answer 'end of Cold War' questions, because I actually feel pretty convicted that Mikhail Gorbachev is awesome! Love his line, "We will rob you of your enemy". Do you guys think though, that it was his reform FAILURE or reform SUCCESS?

What time period would the start of the war and end of the war range from? Will we not be getting any questions focusing on the middle of it? I'm so confused.
Reply 23
Original post by chaseafterme.
What time period would the start of the war and end of the war range from? Will we not be getting any questions focusing on the middle of it? I'm so confused.

The start and end of the Cold War are only the source questions - you get the choice to do one of either.

"The middle of it", by which I mean the Post-Stalin Thaw, Nuclear Weapons, Sino-Soviet split, Detente etc.. comprise the other half of the paper (well, technically 30 marks versus 40 marks for the source question). You get a choice of two questions, which could deal with any of these topics.

That make sense? :smile:

If you get a copy of any past paper you'll see what I mean
Original post by flying_ifan
The start and end of the Cold War are only the source questions - you get the choice to do one of either.

"The middle of it", by which I mean the Post-Stalin Thaw, Nuclear Weapons, Sino-Soviet split, Detente etc.. comprise the other half of the paper (well, technically 30 marks versus 40 marks for the source question). You get a choice of two questions, which could deal with any of these topics.

Yes thank you!

For section A, if I focused on Unit 1, 2 and 3 [seeds of conflict, how cold war developed, why did cold war emerge...focusing on yrs 1944-53] (looking at the edexcel textbook) the most...I could defo answer a q on the start of the Cold War? So, I won't have to worry about how the cold war came an end in the 1980s and why? Because I don't feel as confident about the end as I missed a lot of the lessons.

And then for section B, focus on units 4, 5, 6, 7...so the thaw, nuclear weps, sino soviet and détente?

Basically what I'm asking is, could I leave out revision on the end of the cold war and be okay? :eek:
Anyone know where I can find any past papers? I'm doing the Cold War unfortunately :frown:
Reply 27
For section A, if I focused on Unit 1, 2 and 3 [seeds of conflict, how cold war developed, why did cold war emerge...focusing on yrs 1944-53] (looking at the edexcel textbook) the most...I could defo answer a q on the start of the Cold War? So, I won't have to worry about how the cold war came an end in the 1980s and why? Because I don't feel as confident about the end as I missed a lot of the lessons.

And then for section B, focus on units 4, 5, 6, 7...so the thaw, nuclear weps, sino soviet and détente?

Basically what I'm asking is, could I leave out revision on the end of the cold war and be okay? :eek:

Yeah In theory you should be fine - I read a lot of people on last year's thread doing exactly that :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by sarahjane94
Anyone know where I can find any past papers? I'm doing the Cold War unfortunately :frown:

Have you tried freeexampapers, extreme papers etc...?
does any one have any good notes on the weimar republic, finding it a bit hard to revise because it is so dull.

Yep, it's fine :smile:. I'm leaving out revision on the start of the Cold War and concentrating on the end. That's because in Section B, you get to choose one out of two 'controversies' (start/end) so that means you'll definitely get a question from each. Section A's the in-between period.
Reply 31
Is anyone doing the USA option?
If so, what do you think the chances are for Prohibition or women coming up? Because I don't know if it's just me, but I find that stuff REALLY tough to write a lot on, because theres only so much detail you can go into with those kind of topics! :s-smilie:
I'll be answering the questions on the Civil War
The minimum you need is 320/400 for the total A level.

But Unit 4 is out of 80... what UMS did you get?

Btw 48/50 is amazing :colondollar:

hahah thank you! worked hard on that coursework :tongue:
and i don't know.. 48/50 is my raw mark. how do you know what ums it is? :s-smilie:
Reply 34
Hey guys,
hope revision is going well.
Is anyone doing the 'Protest, Crisis and Rebellion in England 1536-88' exam here?
If so, do you think that 'evolution v revolution' regarding the change in Tudor machinery will come up/how is it best to prepare for an essay on that?
Heya everyone!

I'm doing the Cold War Superpower paper and need an A in this exam :eek:

Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas as to what questions will come up? I'm hoping for a question on the Thaw or Sino-Soviet relations for section B.
Reply 36
Original post by charmiv
Hey guys,
hope revision is going well.
Is anyone doing the 'Protest, Crisis and Rebellion in England 1536-88' exam here?
If so, do you think that 'evolution v revolution' regarding the change in Tudor machinery will come up/how is it best to prepare for an essay on that?

I'm doing that too and i doubt it would come up in that wording. Hopefully anglo-spanish relations won't come up because from what papers i've seen there were a lot of questions on that. I'm hoping that it's going to be something to do with religion/factionalism :smile: What controversy are you doing? :smile:
Reply 37
If you're doing the cold war, how are you planning on revising seeing that we're limited regarding the past papers?!
I've tried to find the sources for the past papers, but haven't had any luck.
I'm currently doing time lines, going through the books trying to remember key policies, dates etc, but the most important part is answering the question so i'd be great for any advice!
Original post by venuswaltz
Heya everyone!

I'm doing the Cold War Superpower paper and need an A in this exam :eek:

Just wondering whether anyone has any ideas as to what questions will come up? I'm hoping for a question on the Thaw or Sino-Soviet relations for section B.

Me too on all counts! Cold War, need an A, hoping for Thaw/Sino-Soviet! I think one of em' should be coming out though because Nuclear and Detente came out June 2011. But who knows, EDEXCEL surprised me with the AS paper in January by releasing the almost exact same question as June 2011.

I'm focusing on 3 out of 4 of the Section A bullet points, and only briefly going through the Nuclear section. It's because I think the best topics allow lots of argument in the essays, and the nuclear one is a little too straightforward... It might come out doubled with the Thaw though.
Reply 39
Original post by Ttorria
I'm doing that too and i doubt it would come up in that wording. Hopefully anglo-spanish relations won't come up because from what papers i've seen there were a lot of questions on that. I'm hoping that it's going to be something to do with religion/factionalism :smile: What controversy are you doing? :smile:

I hope a question on Tudor Machinery doesn't come up or i'll cry haha. Yeah last years paper there was one on anglo-spanish relations with Mary was a bit confusing. I love factions/religion so I hope it comes up too but I think its highly unlikely because one of the section A essays last year was do to with factions in the last eight years of King Henry's rule :frown:
With the controversy i'm preparing for both just that in the worst case scenario that we may get difficult sources on rebellions so do the Elizabeth and Parliament one and vice versa. What about you? I was thinking of focusing more on rebellions now, but i'm not too sure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending