The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE ICT B063, 13th June 2012

Haven't seen a revision thread out yet, so thought I would post one up.

How are you feeling about the exam?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, is this the exam on FrontLine18? If so, I'm doing this (: I feel pretty prepared for the exam too because most of the answers, can be made up xD What about you?
Reply 2
Did any of you guys take the B061 exam last week? If so, how did you find it? I thought it was harder and longer than usual. There were a couple of weird questions too, like that one about the girl connecting her laptop to the internet. I could only think of two ways (router and wireless)
Reply 3
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Hey, is this the exam on FrontLine18? If so, I'm doing this (: I feel pretty prepared for the exam too because most of the answers, can be made up xD What about you?

OK, did the January 2012 paper as a mock: got 46/60 without revising! :biggrin: Hopefully, a bit of revision might get me a higher mark! I agree, you can make up some of the answers with a bit of common sense.

Original post by romi_g
Did any of you guys take the B061 exam last week? If so, how did you find it? I thought it was harder and longer than usual. There were a couple of weird questions too, like that one about the girl connecting her laptop to the internet. I could only think of two ways (router and wireless)

Nah, sorry - did it last year.
Original post by Catching22
OK, did the January 2012 paper as a mock: got 46/60 without revising! :biggrin: Hopefully, a bit of revision might get me a higher mark! I agree, you can make up some of the answers with a bit of common sense.

Nah, sorry - did it last year.

Similar results to me then! I got 48/60 with no revision which is an A, so with revision I'm sure we can bump our marks up to an A* easily! ;P

Do you happen to have the January 2012 markscheme because I only have the paper?

And what are you revising exactly..my teacher has loads of random topics put on our school VLE such as Cloud Computing, Digital Divide, E-commerce etc..
Reply 5
Similar results to me then! I got 48/60 with no revision which is an A, so with revision I'm sure we can bump our marks up to an A* easily! ;P

Do you happen to have the January 2012 markscheme because I only have the paper?

And what are you revising exactly..my teacher has loads of random topics put on our school VLE such as Cloud Computing, Digital Divide, E-commerce etc..

Sure, just click this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70zs7vads40h7kg/B063%20Jan2012%20Mark%20Scheme.pdf

As for what I revising, I'm definitely going over the pros/cons of cloud computing as it wasn't on the January paper, as well as the stuff about Magic Mirror.
Sure, just click this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70zs7vads40h7kg/B063%20Jan2012%20Mark%20Scheme.pdf

As for what I revising, I'm definitely going over the pros/cons of cloud computing as it wasn't on the January paper, as well as the stuff about Magic Mirror.

Thank you! :')

Yeah that's bound to come up.

I doubt e-commerce or loyalty cards will though.

I hate the 6 mark questions on digital divide -.-
Reply 7
Hey,
Where did you find the january 2012 specimen paper? I thought there was none
Reply 8
do any of you have good websites to use for revision? i found this one: http://www.asiplease.net/computing/gcse2010/bo63_topics.html
but i just wanted to know if there are any better ones out there :smile: and how else are you revising for this exam?
Reply 9
Original post by Lola_x
Hey,
Where did you find the january 2012 specimen paper? I thought there was none

Our teacher gave it as our mock. I've got a copy if you need it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9scyx5b7907znv/B063%20Jan2012%20Paper.pdf

Original post by xxsafinahxx
do any of you have good websites to use for revision? i found this one: http://www.asiplease.net/computing/gcse2010/bo63_topics.html
but i just wanted to know if there are any better ones out there :smile: and how else are you revising for this exam?

I found this website: http://intranet.arrowsmith.wigan.sch.uk/old/subjects/it/gcse/GCSE2010/ICTinContext/2012casestudy.html
As for revision, I'm making notes from my textbook and looking at my revision book for any extra info. Hope it helps!
Our teacher gave it as our mock. I've got a copy if you need it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9scyx5b7907znv/B063%20Jan2012%20Paper.pdf

I found this website: http://intranet.arrowsmith.wigan.sch.uk/old/subjects/it/gcse/GCSE2010/ICTinContext/2012casestudy.html
As for revision, I'm making notes from my textbook and looking at my revision book for any extra info. Hope it helps!

okay thanks! what textbook do you have? is it called 'Essential GCSE ICT for OCR' ? :smile:
okay thanks! what textbook do you have? is it called 'Essential GCSE ICT for OCR' ? :smile:

I have this textbook and it's not very useful :/

I bought another revision guide based just on FrontLine18 and a few other companies..I'd recommend getting that!

I bought another revision guide based just on FrontLine18 and a few other companies..I'd recommend getting that!

okay thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 13

Nah, our school uses the OCR ICT GCSE Student Book. It waffles on too much and has little only few pages on each case study. :P I'm using the myrevisionnotes revision guide, which is good but doesn't really focus on a particular case study.

I have this textbook and it's not very useful :/

Which one is it? Do you know where I can get it?
Nah, our school uses the OCR ICT GCSE Student Book. It waffles on too much and has little only few pages on each case study. :P I'm using the myrevisionnotes revision guide, which is good but doesn't really focus on a particular case study.

oh right i see, mine too. Didn't revise from it for short course IT and not planning to use it for full course haha
which topics are likely to come up? Any guesses?
Reply 16
Just out of interest, what sort of marks have you guys gotten for the coursework and unit 1? looking at some statistics, around 1% of people have managed to get an a* in this overall, and about 15 have gotten an a or a b.
Reply 17
Original post by chocolate1996
which topics are likely to come up? Any guesses?

All of these didn't appear in the Jan 2012 paper and probably will come up:

Pros. and cons. of cloud computing.

Cutting edge tech. (Magic Mirror and gesture-based interactive store front displays)

Fashion blogs

Use of tech. to monitor changes to competitors' websites

Original post by outsider95
Just out of interest, what sort of marks have you guys gotten for the coursework and unit 1? looking at some statistics, around 1% of people have managed to get an a* in this overall, and about 15 have gotten an a or a b.

I got 55 UMS in Unit 1 (low A*) and 69 UMS in Unit 2 (high B). Considering that there were people in my class that got Ds and Es in their courseworks and exams, I'm considering myself VERY lucky.
Reply 18
All of these didn't appear in the Jan 2012 paper and probably will come up:

Pros. and cons. of cloud computing.

Cutting edge tech. (Magic Mirror and gesture-based interactive store front displays)

Fashion blogs

Use of tech. to monitor changes to competitors' websites

I got 55 UMS in Unit 1 (low A*) and 69 UMS in Unit 2 (high B). Considering that there were people in my class that got Ds and Es in their courseworks and exams, I'm considering myself VERY lucky.

Im pretty much on the same marks as you then, i got 47 in unit 1 and 76 in unit 2, 75 in unit 4, so i need to get a lowish b to get an a overall i think. I think most people that are getting as and even some getting bs are really a* candidates, and the marking involved in the exams and coursework is just poor
Reply 19
Original post by outsider95
Im pretty much on the same marks as you then, i got 47 in unit 1 and 76 in unit 2, 75 in unit 4, so i need to get a lowish b to get an a overall i think. I think most people that are getting as and even some getting bs are really a* candidates, and the marking involved in the exams and coursework is just poor

Personally, I believe it be the teaching and the fact that it's really not that clear what we have to do esp. with the mark scheme in the coursework.

Quick Reply

Latest