The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA5 (18/06/12) - Exam thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liam_W_
Yeah mate

Those grade boundaries won't be repeated, if an A is 40/1 on this paper not 44 like it was on that, you're getting 1 or 2 marks above it, there fore around 50.

Yeh the raw marks always equal different ums each year. I got an a* in the unit 5 mock we sat. Thort the paper was piss easy. However the exam we just sat was a total mind****. Worked out i got 29-30 in astro and 29 in nuclear. And thats with me being a harsh examiner lol. How u guys find it

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Quick question guys on the a2 isa 6t. Wats the general consensus on the difficultly. I got 42 as another guy above has also 42. That equatez to a B with 2011 ms. But an A with 2010 ms. Is the boundries for this A2 isa going to be lowered. Ie 40/41 for an A. Cheers chaps

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Can anyone post the turning point paper please?
Original post by boylsie
ASTRO MS:
1ai) http://mcat-review.org/convex-lens-ray-real.gif like this with principal focus at f line on the diagram (2)
1aii)http://mcat-review.org/convex-lens-ray-virtual.gif like this with principal in same place (2)
1bi)use of 1/f-1/u=1/v, which gives -492mm (3)
1bii)magnified, virtual, upright (not inverted) (1)
2a) Quantum efficiency is the percentage of photons hitting the CCD which release electrons (something along those lines) (1)
2bi)0(theta)=l(lambda)/D answer is 1.25x10^-6 rads (i put 1.3 because of S.F.) (1)
2bii)i used s=r0(theta) and got 5AU/10.5LY=7.6x10^-6 rad (3)
2biii) in the exam i misread this, but i believe it is because the planet doesnt emit its own light? (1)
2c)i did: Visible: Transparent to atmosphere, place it anywhere, better in space because atmosphere causes some blur, up to 10m Diameter and blahblahblah
Radio: Transparent to atmosphere, place it anywhere, slightly larger than visible, link them together with seperation of the dishes as the diameter of the lens, blahblah
IR: opaque to atmosphere, absorbed by water vapour, high dry places or space, about same size as visible, needs to be cooled, blahblah (6)
3ai) absolute magnitude is the brightness of a star if it were 10parsecs away. (1)
3aii) i put Betelgeuse(right of table, lower temp) as there is a lower change between the apparent and absolute magnitude. (1)
3bi)lmax(lambda)T=0.0029, gives lmax as 1.3x10^-7m (2)
3bii) black body radiation curve, put scale on x-axis(wavelength) peak is above 1.3x10^-7 (3)
3ci)B (1)
3cii)helium (1)
3ciii)not hot enough, particles dont have enough energy, electrons wont be in n=2 state so hydrogen balmer lines wont be seen. (1)
4a) z=v/c and v=Hd so d=zc/H (convert c into Kms-1 to give 3x10^8) which gives 263. i put 260 (S.F.) and for units Mpc (4)
4b) Radio wave emission/very large redshift (1)

if i got anything wrong, i can change it, just quote me with your opinion.
thanks

I agree with it all except the bold bit, its the fact that the luminosity is so great in my opinion. also with the quantum efficency i sort of agree but prefer, the ratio of detected photons to incident photons, more or less the same.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by affleming
I agree with it all except the bold bit, its the fact that the luminosity is so great in my opinion. also with the quantum efficency i sort of agree but prefer, the ratio of detected photons to incident photons, more or less the same.

I've seen this question on other papers, there are several different answers. Radio source would get the marks.
Original post by vedderfan94
I've seen this question on other papers, there are several different answers. Radio source would get the marks.

But that isnt the property that caused there discovery, its the fact that they are such luminous radio sources. In my opinion luminosity is key in this but i havent seen any past questions.
because remember these are extremely distant objects, distances at which many stars etc are not going to be observed due to there small luminosity.
For the Core Section:

Question 2)c)iii) Where you had to work out the value of t, I used my graph from knowing the number of particles was 2*10^22 and read off the graph to work out the time, in years.

My Question is how many marks would this get me, I was lucky because my graph cut the corner of the grid perfectly and I managed to get 2*10^9 years.

When calculated, people have gotten 2.6*10^9 years using N=Noe^-tlambda

I would just like to know if my method is valid, because technically i have "Calculated" t, i just went about it in a practical manner, rather than using a theoretical method.

Hope someone can help me!
Original post by Future Engineer
For the Core Section:

Question 2)c)iii) Where you had to work out the value of t, I used my graph from knowing the number of particles was 2*10^22 and read off the graph to work out the time, in years.

My Question is how many marks would this get me, I was lucky because my graph cut the corner of the grid perfectly and I managed to get 2*10^9 years.

I would just like to know if my method is valid, because technically i have "Calculated" t, i just went about it in a practical manner, rather than using a theoretical method.

all i can say is that u are a true engineer! true to the proffession and hopefully a future engineer. but this was a physics exam man. so all i can say is that hope for the best!!!
Reply 1829
For the Core Section:

If they wanted you to use the graph, they would have said "use the graph to estimate a value for t"

Unfortunately you've used the wrong method and that scores no marks.
Original post by iluvmaths
all i can say is that u are a true engineer! true to the proffession and hopefully a future engineer. but this was a physics exam man. so all i can say is that hope for the best!!!

Well my offer from Imperial for Mechanical Engineering hangs on how well I do in this exam. So lets hope the Examiner has an Engineering mind and accepts my method :wink:
Original post by bozdag
If they wanted you to use the graph, they would have said "use the graph to estimate a value for t"

Unfortunately you've used the wrong method and that scores no marks.

On that basis, you could reject all answers on the basis that they didn't "spoon feed me the method on how to answer the question"

They didn't tell us use a specific formula to calculate t, they just wanted you to calculate it.
Reply 1832
For the Core Section:

I really think you wouldn't get anything unfortunatley, yours is more of an estimate rather than a calculation :frown:
Reply 1833
On that basis, you could reject all answers on the basis that they didn't "spoon feed me the method on how to answer the question"

They didn't tell us use a specific formula to calculate t, they just wanted you to calculate it.

If they don't spoon feed you the method, then you need to use the standard way which is to do it theoretically. The question before it was a slight clue, though you could argue against that.

The one thing which is undeniable is that when drawing a curve, it won't ever be perfect. Drawing curves by hand have errors. So in a physics exam you can't use that to find a value as the error is too great.

And the difference between 2 and 2.6 in this case is pretty large.
Original post by bozdag
If they don't spoon feed you the method, then you need to use the standard way which is to do it theoretically. The question before it was a slight clue, though you could argue against that.

The one thing which is undeniable is that when drawing a curve, it won't ever be perfect. Drawing curves by hand have errors. So in a physics exam you can't use that to find a value as the error is too great.

And the difference between 2 and 2.6 in this case is pretty large.

Who knows what will be on the mark scheme, maybe they may accept it, maybe they won't. Just got to wait and see :smile:
Reply 1835
Who knows what will be on the mark scheme, maybe they may accept it, maybe they won't. Just got to wait and see :smile:

You asked, I answered.

Guess it wasn't the answer you were waiting to hear.
they clearly said calculate!!
with regards to the posts above about using a graph to calculate t, i very much doubt they will accept this method. there is only one real method we can use really the n=noe equation, mark scheme for this question will be very specific. i thought the paper was a harder one than the previous two so hopefully 52/51 for an a, with regards to the astro paper.

anyone end up spending 15mins or so like me trying to work out the count rates question lol.
Reply 1838
Original post by affleming

in the astro book, it says it was radiowaves.

they first saw it as a dim star, not knowing its distance away. they noticed it had very strong radio emissions and a weird spectral emission. They then worked out through redshift that it was very far away.
so they wouldnt have known it was a quasar from it looking like a distant star, it was the radiowaves that made discover it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anyone got a copy of the paper for the Astro section?

Also, how do you reckon raw mark will convert to UMS. Say I needed 50 UMS, what's that likely to mean I need as a raw mark?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending