The Student Room Group

People who supported Brexit - do you feel conned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InnerTemple
Five days after the referendum, and the Brexit case is already unravelling. Boris, the man most likely to be key to building our new relationship seems keen to replace the EU with the EU.

The blunders of Boris Johnson really do sum up the whole thing. In line with what many brainwashed Brexit supporters were saying, Johnson went on about an agreement being struck quite quickly. We'd have informal chats - the EU would be begging for us to work with them. Then Boris told us that the German business group, the BDI, were all for the UK getting a special deal. He then reassured us that the Pound was stabilising.

All those things were untrue, and by Monday lunchtime, the wall of lies was falling to pieces:

£350m (apparently) spent on the EU would be directed to the NHS... nope, that was a mistake.

Britain will be free from the EU and regain 'sovereignty'... nope, that's not the case.

Leaving the EU will lead to immigration falling... oops, another mistake!

So, if you supported Brexit, how do you feel? Things like cost, immigration and sovereignty were central to the campaign - and it seems that your beloved leaders are ready to turn their backs on these areas.

LOL. Hilarious. The Brexit campaign was racked with deception and ignorance. You have yourselves to blame.
Both sides partook in deception and ignorance; the information was there for people who looked for it, and the information showed we'd clearly be better off out of the EU.

It was your side, the remain camp, which advocated passing off economic predictions as blind fact, at face value.

**cough cough ring leader Sadiq Khan**

You have no one to blame for that but yourselves.

Hypocrite.

Sent from my Bush Spira B2 5 Smartphone using Tapatalk
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophiaNeuning
LOL. Hilarious. The Brexit campaign was racked with deception and ignorance. You have yourselves to blame.

Both sides partook in deception and ignorance; the information was there for people who looked for it, and the information showed we'd clearly be better off out of the EU.

It was your side, the remain camp, which advocated passing off economic predictions as blind fact, at face value.

Hypocrite.

Reply 183
Original post by JordanL_
So youre upset that they did something that the people didnt like... and promptly got rid of it?

Seems to me youre just looking for things to be upset about.

No, that's not my sole reason for voting leave. They are an undemocratic politcal union with superstate aspirations, that's the bottom line and I'm not comfortable being a part of it.
Original post by XcitingStuart

Hypocrite.

It's strange that you write this, meanwhile posting on a thread that is literally bemoaning the lies of the Brexit campaign. :wink: There are of course very real issues with the EU, but there are very real issues with leaving. For the current moment, the latter are far more catastrophic. The majority of the country was swayed by unrealistic slogans, which is why we now find leaders backtracking and people being regretful. If we had chosen to stay the outcome would not have been the same because remain leaders did not promise any significant change. Brexit, laughably, did. Honestly, I'd love to be wrong. This isn't a game, this is real life and it's scary.
Yes they did. FARAGE said it and everyone copied him and believed him and loads voted leave because of it
EU is a great thing for European people

Diversity is strength!
My God its not even been a week and people are being asked if they regret it. Give it a chance!
Original post by SophiaNeuning
It's strange that you write this, meanwhile posting on a thread that is literally bemoaning the lies of the Brexit campaign. :wink: There are of course very real issues with the EU, but there are very real issues with leaving. For the current moment, the latter are far more catastrophic. The majority of the country was swayed by unrealistic slogans, which is why we now find leaders backtracking and people being regretful. If we had chosen to stay the outcome would not have been the same because remain leaders did not promise any significant change. Brexit, laughably, did. Honestly, I'd love to be wrong. This isn't a game, this is real life and it's scary.

People being regretful based on individual cases in news articles?

Honey, 17.5 million people voted to leave.

Let's assume we're certain 100 people regretted it. There hasn't been a sample size, so it's wrong to assume for the rest. Do you know what percentage 100 is out of 17,500,000? (100 / 17,500,000 x 100℅)

How can the Brexit camp possibly promise anything yet when for example Brexit campaigners aren't leading government?

Yes, the £350 million figure is misleading (but not a lie.) But let's not pretend either camp is innocent.

And sorry for being aggressive; it's easy to get swept up in it.

hahahahahahahahah
Original post by Elivercury
It was definitely claimed money would be diverted from the EU to the NHS. If you've not seen that quoted you must have been living under a rock.

Here is the smoking gun:

Spoiler

Reply 191
Original post by Kryptonian
Yes they did. FARAGE said it and everyone copied him and believed him and loads voted leave because of it

Well that's where you prove you're completely wrong. Because Farage never used the £350m figure, was not part of the official campaign that used the £350m figure, and always said that he would not have personally used that figure. Capitalising his name doesn't make it any less incorrect.

Are remainers worth arguing with that believe the £350m figure came form Farage?
I saw a guy on TV this morning, a proper British patriot banging on about the bloody immigrants, taking our whatever, blah blah blah.

Made me think of this.

But many did care about immigration. Even on TSR it's all I had viewed for reasons to leave the EU. Rather than people admitting that they were lied to, they'd rather play it off. I'm not specifically speaking about you but this is something I've observed concerning the leave campaign. Any whoo such hypocrisy on Boris' and Farage's part: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390
Don't trust politicians.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
Well that's where you prove you're completely wrong. Because Farage never used the £350m figure, was not part of the official campaign that used the £350m figure, and always said that he would not have personally used that figure. Capitalising his name doesn't make it any less incorrect.

Are remainers worth arguing with that believe the £350m figure came form Farage?

Are you serious, lol? He said it with his own mouth and said with his own mouth AFTER the referendum oh it was a "MISTAKE"
Original post by InnerTemple
Five days after the referendum, and the Brexit case is already unravelling. Boris, the man most likely to be key to building....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390

This basically says it all however in denial leave voters/supporters may be.

OP, feel free to add this newspaper article to your post so leavers may see this isn't you making claims or false statements. It's true and now many are realising that, including my friends who voted to leave.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kryptonian

I love how Remainers are putting more emphasis on what the Leave campaign said more than actual Leave voters themselves. They implied that it might be spent on the NHS, however, everyone who is reasonably intelligent knew that the Leave campaign had no actual power in government to make this happen.
Btw guys I am not receiving anymore notifications due to some TSR glitch, quoting me is pointless as its unlikely I will respond. Have a good day :smile:
...hence why most Leave voters generally have had a poorer education than Remain voters. A lot of Leave voters aren't 'reasonably intelligent' as you say since they don't / did not realise that fundamental point.
Just click notifications and see all every now and then you can see it highlighted blue, :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending