The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by laura94
Is further maths really that important? I'm only doing normal maths but I am doing both Stats 1 and Stats 2 which I figured are the best for economics? Also I'm not applying for straight economics, but philosophy and econ or PPE.

I rang LSE about 20 minutes ago and they said further maths was strongly preferred. They also said economics wasn't essential and they look for combinations of strong traditional subjects.

It says nothing on their website about further maths being strongly preferred though, which is ridiculous.
Reply 41
Original post by tateco
:O how do you plan on teaching FP1 to your self in such a short space of time?!

I don't have many proper lessons after my exams so there's a 25 day gap in which I can devote to FP1. It'll be interesting to see how I do :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by sqwerty
I don't have many proper lessons after my exams so there's a 25 day gap in which I can devote to FP1. It'll be interesting to see how I do :smile:

Have you learnt ANY of it yet? Are you getting a tutor? How do you think you'll do?
Reply 43
Original post by tateco
Have you learnt ANY of it yet? Are you getting a tutor? How do you think you'll do?

Haven't learnt anything. I'm getting some lessons with stuff I find tricky on with a FM teacher but for the most part I'll be self teaching. I worked out the FP1 FM class which sat the test in Jan had around 50 hours of teaching so I think I'll be okay. Hopefully get an A but if I don't I can always resit
Reply 44
anyone doing CIE a-levels here?

if i don't screw up my AS this may i'll prolly apply to cambridge, lse, UCL.. not sure about the last 2 slots tho.. i ought to choose safer options.
By and large the grades I achieve in the summer will probably determine which unis I'll apply to. However I'm definitely applying to Bath :biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by jamiepango
By and large the grades I achieve in the summer will probably determine which unis I'll apply to. However I'm definitely applying to Bath :biggrin:

Same! Bath looks so good, I really want to go there! Do you think you'll be applying for the sandwich one or just the standard L100?

Also, I was thinking about applying for more mathematically based courses at slightly lower ranked universities, for example Nottingham offers Mathematics and Economics and so does York, do you think this would be a wise idea considering it would make sure I was on a quantitative course and also increase my Postgraduate application prospects?
Reply 47
Original post by jhthed
anyone doing CIE a-levels here?

if i don't screw up my AS this may i'll prolly apply to cambridge, lse, UCL.. not sure about the last 2 slots tho.. i ought to choose safer options.

That's a very high risk three :P
Any idea of what insurances you'd pick? What are your GCSEs like, because that will be a very important factor for both UCL and LSE
Reply 48
Original post by sqwerty
I rang LSE about 20 minutes ago and they said further maths was strongly preferred. They also said economics wasn't essential and they look for combinations of strong traditional subjects.

It says nothing on their website about further maths being strongly preferred though, which is ridiculous.

"Course requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies."

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2012/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx

It clearly states that it is strongly preferred, it's just always too late when they announce these things, it annoys me they say something is strongly preferred when it is too late for you to change your options, they really need to change the system so it is easier and clearer when year 11's choose their options Guess we'll just have to do AS and hope it is enough...
Reply 49
Original post by laura94
Is further maths really that important? I'm only doing normal maths but I am doing both Stats 1 and Stats 2 which I figured are the best for economics? Also I'm not applying for straight economics, but philosophy and econ or PPE.

for PPE or something similar it won't matter as much for as for straight economics, what did you take for A-levels?
Reply 50
Original post by tateco
for PPE or something similar it won't matter as much for as for straight economics, what did you take for A-levels?

english lit, philosophy, maths, drama and critical thinking.
next year dropping drama and doing the epq.
Reply 51
Original post by tateco
"Course requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies."

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2012/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx

It clearly states that it is strongly preferred, it's just always too late when they announce these things, it annoys me they say something is strongly preferred when it is too late for you to change your options, they really need to change the system so it is easier and clearer when year 11's choose their options Guess we'll just have to do AS and hope it is enough...

Whattt I swear when I checked it said something like fm is welcomed, not strongly preferred. Oh well
Reply 52
Original post by sqwerty
Whattt I swear when I checked it said something like fm is welcomed, not strongly preferred. Oh well

You might have look at the 'Applicants for 2011 Entry" As opposed to the one for 2012 entry...
Reply 53
Original post by sqwerty
Aqa spec B. Grade boundaries are stupidly low which is weird. You?

I'm doing that specification as well; I understand that if I get 60/60 in coursework (80/80 UMS) I'll only need 36/84 (80/120 UMS) in the exam.

However, my teachers have been saying that they are looking for very specific things in the responses, so I'm not sure whether that's a good thing.

What texts are you studying? I'm doing The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Hardy's Poems, Tennyson's Poems.

How've you done on your coursework pieces?

Also, will you guys be asking your reference to specify your module scores? Having spoken to numerous admission officers, that seems to be the only place they advise.
Original post by tateco
Same! Bath looks so good, I really want to go there! Do you think you'll be applying for the sandwich one or just the standard L100?

Also, I was thinking about applying for more mathematically based courses at slightly lower ranked universities, for example Nottingham offers Mathematics and Economics and so does York, do you think this would be a wise idea considering it would make sure I was on a quantitative course and also increase my Postgraduate application prospects?

Ha I was thinking about this as well, seeing as maths is my strongest subject. I think with our subjects, applying for a Bsc rather than a Ba would give us a better chance because we don't have any essay-writing subjects.

So choosing a quantitative or more maths biased course would be a better option.
Reply 55
Original post by Groat
I'm doing that specification as well; I understand that if I get 60/60 in coursework (80/80 UMS) I'll only need 36/84 (80/120 UMS) in the exam.

However, my teachers have been saying that they are looking for very specific things in the responses, so I'm not sure whether that's a good thing.

What texts are you studying? I'm doing The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Hardy's Poems, Tennyson's Poems.

How've you done on your coursework pieces?

Also, will you guys be asking your reference to specify your module scores? Having spoken to numerous admission officers, that seems to be the only place they advise.

It's ridiculous isn't it? Not complaining though.

I'm doing Pride and Prejudice, The Kite Runner, Browning's and Auden's. I HATE The Kite Runner, it's all too coincidental, but everyone else seems to love it.

As far as I'm aware I got 28/30 for Othello coursework and 30/30 for Death of a Salesman. How about you?

And I've no idea if I will be specifying my module results :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by tateco
You might have look at the 'Applicants for 2011 Entry" As opposed to the one for 2012 entry...

I'm an idiot. Not applying there then...
Reply 57
Original post by sqwerty
It's ridiculous isn't it? Not complaining though.

I'm doing Pride and Prejudice, The Kite Runner, Browning's and Auden's. I HATE The Kite Runner, it's all too coincidental, but everyone else seems to love it.

As far as I'm aware I got 28/30 for Othello coursework and 30/30 for Death of a Salesman. How about you?

And I've no idea if I will be specifying my module results :smile:

Those coursework marks are awesome! Congratulations. I'm quite a fan of The Kite Runner, it may seem coincidental but Hosseini meant it to be, in my honest opinion.

My school is doing a moderation day after Easter, so I'm not sure of exact results. I've got band 6 for my Streetcar Named Desire piece, so at least 26/30. My teacher won't let on how high as he doesn't want to get my hopes up if it's moderated down by the other teachers.

My Othello piece is currently in the drafting stage. I'd love to get 60/60 as the exam would become so much easier!

As long as my reference is happy to do so, I'll be asking him to specify my module scores. I've currently got 100/100 on F581 Markets in Action, so I'm hoping my June results will be of the same quality.
Reply 58
Original post by Groat
Those coursework marks are awesome! Congratulations. I'm quite a fan of The Kite Runner, it may seem coincidental but Hosseini meant it to be, in my honest opinion.

My school is doing a moderation day after Easter, so I'm not sure of exact results. I've got band 6 for my Streetcar Named Desire piece, so at least 26/30. My teacher won't let on how high as he doesn't want to get my hopes up if it's moderated down by the other teachers.

My Othello piece is currently in the drafting stage. I'd love to get 60/60 as the exam would become so much easier!

As long as my reference is happy to do so, I'll be asking him to specify my module scores. I've currently got 100/100 on F581 Markets in Action, so I'm hoping my June results will be of the same quality.

Thanks.

Which Othello question are you doing? I done the importance of jealousy and found it easy to write about.

No reason not to include the module scores if they're as good as that, mine weren't though haha so I'm unsure if I am. It's all a long way away still. What were your other modular results?
Cambridge (Magdalene)
Durham
Warwick
Bristol
Southampton or Exeter

I think my chances are just as good as anyone elses (with better GCSE's)

Latest