The Student Room Group

Computer Science and IT applicants for 2012 Entry

Add your offers/rejections to the wiki: Computer Science/IT Offers 2012

Quite a few other subjects and unis have threads where all the applicants for a certain year get together for a general chit-chat, so here is ours!

Who's thinking about applying where?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If my AS module scores are high enough (hopefully :biggrin:), I will be applying to Cambridge, Southampton, Imperial, UCL and Warwick. If not, I'll replace Cambridge with a lesser university.
Reply 2
Original post by roflcopter94

If my AS module scores are high enough (hopefully :biggrin:), I will be applying to Cambridge, Southampton, Imperial, UCL and Warwick. If not, I'll replace Cambridge with a lesser university.

For Computer Science 2012 then Southampton are increasing their standard offer to A*AA (just in case you didn't know)

I'm looking at Oxford, Imperial, Bristol as my current top choices. Not UCL because they require a foreign language GCSE, and probably not Southampton because I don't want to stay at home!
Reply 3
I originally wanted to apply for solely computer science, but I've really enjoyed the maths we've been doing in further and so I think I'm now decided on Maths & Computer Science.

Hoping to apply to Oxford, Bristol, Birmingham, Sussex & York, provided my grades all are in the right places. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tom-m
I originally wanted to apply for solely computer science, but I've really enjoyed the maths we've been doing in further and so I think I'm now decided on Maths & Computer Science.
Interesting one there. My plan is to apply somewhere that has a high maths content (e.g. Oxford) but is still a pure CS course.
I'm looking to do straight CS, uni wise I'm looking at Lancaster, Cardiff, Leicester, Reading and Nottingham.

Do most of you do maths at A-Level? Also what are we all predicted?

I don't do maths due to the school not allowing me to do it, and I'm predicted A*AB.
Reply 6
Original post by FrankInformation

I'm looking to do straight CS, uni wise I'm looking at Lancaster, Cardiff, Leicester, Reading and Nottingham.

I don't do maths due to the school not allowing me to do it, and I'm predicted A*AB.

Did you not get a good grade in GCSE maths or something, seems a shame your school didn't let you!

I don't know what college is predicting me, but I'm hoping for straight As, although that may be less likely in my non-science subjects (music and politics).
Reply 7

I'm taking Computing, Maths, Further Maths & Economics at A-Level, although I finished Computing this year so my workload is not looking too bad next year. I think my predictions are A*A*AA at the moment, but I'm determined to bring my fmath grade up to A* next year, and I have struggled with Economics as well this year (probably looking at a b) so I'd be ecstatic to get an A in that next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Hello everyone, I'm David, thought I should introduce myself lol :smile:

Thinking of doing Computing & Management/Business, not sure where yet though, I need to do some research. Seriously considering both Loughborough and Sussex though... My targets are BBC although I hope to achieve in the region of ABB - BBB in my 3 AS's :smile:
Original post by fluteflute
Did you not get a good grade in GCSE maths or something, seems a shame your school didn't let you!

I don't know what college is predicting me, but I'm hoping for straight As, although that may be less likely in my non-science subjects (music and politics).

I got a B, a very high one 1 mark of the A. It doesn't matter if its a high or a low mark it's still a B :tongue:. But there wasn't enough space on the course and I got shoved to the bottom of the pile due to only getting a B.

Original post by tom-m
I'm taking Computing, Maths, Further Maths & Economics at A-Level, although I finished Computing this year so my workload is not looking too bad next year. I think my predictions are A*A*AA at the moment, but I'm determined to bring my fmath grade up to A* next year, and I have struggled with Economics as well this year (probably looking at a b) so I'd be ecstatic to get an A in that next year.

I take IT (A*) Leisure and tourism lol I know (A) and Business (B). My school had really bad A-Level options. It was either Leisure or a language and I didn't do a language at GCSE so was forced to leisure. I can't change it now though so might aswell get on with it :tongue:.

I kinda wish I was allowed to do maths I really enjoyed the subject and would put me in good steed for applying to uni. I didn't know about the further learning collages where you can do maths out of school only found out this year after I started my courses.
Reply 10
I got a B, a very high one 1 mark of the A. It doesn't matter if its a high or a low mark it's still a B :tongue:. But there wasn't enough space on the course and I got shoved to the bottom of the pile due to only getting a B.
Wow that's unlucky and unfortunate your college didn't have space/be slightly lenient (considering the value of maths for computer science).

Having said that, looks like you've identified some good places that don't require maths so good luck! (some of them will basically teach you a level maths during the course :biggrin:)
Original post by fluteflute
Wow that's unlucky and unfortunate your college didn't have space/be slightly lenient (considering the value of maths for computer science).

Having said that, looks like you've identified some good places that don't require maths so good luck! (some of them will basically teach you a level maths during the course :biggrin:)

I spent quite a lot of time finding all the uni's that offer CS without a maths A-Level and then narrowing it down to 5 from there. I don't want to go to some uni's that offer it without an A-Level in maths due to the poor standards (I think one I looked at wanted two D's at A-Level).

Now it's those A-Levels we need to work on to get in!
Guys when you say predicted A*, is that what u reckon u will get or what the teacher said they will predict you. because in my school, the teacher will not predict a grade higher - meaning A* can not be predicted. They actually said they will predict a grade lower =\ wtf.

and yeah i shud be looking at 90% plus in Maths, but wont be predicted A* =[
really annoying when you want to apply to cambridge.
Reply 13
Guys when you say predicted A*, is that what u reckon u will get or what the teacher said they will predict you. because in my school, the teacher will not predict a grade higher - meaning A* can not be predicted. They actually said they will predict a grade lower =\ wtf.

My predicted grades are what my teachers have predicted me at, to the best of my knowledge.

My teacher thinks I change achieve the A* due to a number of reasons. In two of the units I got really high A's and the third unit was the exam which we don't have results for yet. However In the mock I got 100%, so a mixture of all of this came to my predicted grade.

However saying all this I bet my school changes this because they hate predicting high grades incase students don't achieve it bringing their reputation down. It may go down one grade for all my subjects meaning I'll be predicted ABC which is such an awkward set of grades to apply to uni with.
Hey guys!

How did we all do with our AS results?
Mine were:

IT:A
Leisure:B
Business:C

I'm going to re-sit the Business exam to push that up to a B and resubmit a coursework unit in Leisure to push that to an A.

Hope we all done as well as we wanted!
Reply 16
Hi guys!
Do you have any special diplomas when you apply to Computer Science or only A-level?
And how about extracurricular activities?
- I have some voluntary activities.

Thanks. Good luck!
Reply 17

Original post by Mizu
Hi guys!
Do you have any special diplomas when you apply to Computer Science or only A-level?
And how about extracurricular activities?
- I have some voluntary activities.

Thanks. Good luck!
Only (three) A levels (including Maths for quite a few Computer Science courses)

Extracurricular/voluntary activities are good to write a little about, but even better are things that relate to CS :biggrin:
Reply 18
Does anyone have computer-science related extracurricular activities?
I am afraid I don't have any :-s
Reply 19
Original post by Mizu
Does anyone have computer-science related extracurricular activities?
I am afraid I don't have any :-s

Although I've not quite finished my first draft (procrastination etc.) I've written a good 450 characters on the programming I've previously done, my repositories I've published on GitHub and a short description about a couple of the more notable ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending