The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Biology 2012

Hey guys,

I was wondering whether it would be appropriate to apply to Southampton Biology (C100) 2012 entry.

It says that the entry requirements for IB are as following: IB: 32; 16 at higher level, including Biology.

My current grades are predicted:

HL Biology: 6/7

HL Economics: 6/7

HL Chemistry 4/5

SL English: 6

SL Mandarin: 6

SL Math: 5/6

TOK/EE: TBA

*Plus I also took the AP Biology exam in year 12 and achieved a 4 (out of 5). Do you think I should submit this grade as well?

Worst case scenario, I obtain a 34, but I highly doubt that I will. Rather, I'm hoping to obtain above a 38.

So saying I achieve above 34 in both cases, how likely would I receive a conditional from Southampton for Biology (provided I write a decent enough personal statement)? Is it okay to place this as a choice for my UCAS application?

Thanks!
Reply 1
What?!?....You should try and get admission into a better uni and use Soton as your insurance.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by History98
What?!?....You should try and get admission into a better uni and use Soton as your insurance.

southhampton is one of the best unis in england
Reply 3
Yes Southampton (see spelling...LOL) is nice, but honestly with 38pts you stand a pretty good chance of gaining admission into the really elite universities like Imperial or UCL.

But If Soton seems overly attractive to you, then go ahead, follow you heart, I'll meet you there! It probably won't make that much of a difference in the long run anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by History98
Yes Southampton (see spelling...LOL) is nice, but honestly with 38pts you stand a pretty good chance of gaining admission into the really elite universities like Imperial or UCL.

But If Soton seems overly attractive to you, then go ahead, follow you heart, I'll meet you there! It probably won't make that much of a difference in the long run anyway.

Well I'm not sure about my predicted grades at the moment, that's why. I'm an international student so I'm not sure how the schools are ranked within the UK (apart from looking at league tables, but I am well aware that they aren't all that accurate save for oxbridge and the like). I'm just worried for the fact that on UCAS we're only allotted five university choices, so I don't really want to waste one by applying to a school that I know won't even review my application just because of my predicted grades. If you know what I mean? So at the moment I'm trying to ask around for appropriate universities to apply to for Biology so that I'm ensured at least a couple conditional offers to choose from come end of year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending