The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Taymo
Hi, i REALLY want to go UCL for medicine
got 10A*s at GCSE
aaaab at AS (including Bio, chem, Spanish, General studies and maths)
the B was in maths, does this seriously hinder my chances?
because i know they look at UMS, but i'm dropping maths
if you know of anyone in a similar sitch, but they got in that would be reassuing
:smile:

They don't look at UMS. Only Cambridge do.
I don't think the maths should be too much on a problem- it says on their website that "we expect medical applicants to perform strongly at AS level, especially in chemistry and biology".
Original post by Taymo
Hi, i REALLY want to go UCL for medicine
got 10A*s at GCSE
aaaab at AS (including Bio, chem, Spanish, General studies and maths)
the B was in maths, does this seriously hinder my chances?
because i know they look at UMS, but i'm dropping maths
if you know of anyone in a similar sitch, but they got in that would be reassuing
:smile:

The B will not be a problem at all.
UCL do not look at UMS scores
UCL only want a pass (an E grade) in the 4th AS subject so long as your other 3 grades are an A at A2 and include biology and chemistry.
And I'm sure you know this, but they will not count your general studies grade for anything.
Original post by purplefrog
The B will not be a problem at all.
UCL do not look at UMS scores
UCL only want a pass (an E grade) in the 4th AS subject so long as your other 3 grades are an A at A2 and include biology and chemistry.
And I'm sure you know this, but they will not count your general studies grade for anything.

Would you know if they like AS Critical Thinking? Obviously not as part of an offer but surely they must value the skills obtained from it- it's helped me immensely with so many things!
Original post by marc_h94
Would you know if they like AS Critical Thinking? Obviously not as part of an offer but surely they must value the skills obtained from it- it's helped me immensely with so many things!

I think they give it more recognition than GS but not the same weight as other A-levels. They definitely flag out general studies though. But that extra recognition is only marginal as far as I'm aware. You are best to contact medicine admissions to see their official stance on it.
Reply 24
Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding a possible resit,

I obtained four As at AS level in biology, chemistry, physics and maths. My overall AS physics mark was 250/300 and I am considering redoing my empa (practical skills aspect of the course) in order to get a higher A grade, as that is where most of the marks were lost. I am not considering retaking any of my AS papers, for any subject, only this one practical exam. Would it be advisable to retake it, or will it affect the chances of my application to UCL being successful?
This is because i've heard UCL have a particularly stringent policy on resits.

Edit: I'm aware my subject choices aren't ideal for UCL, as i'm lacking a "contrasting arts subject", but I passed the "DELF" exam in French, in my gcse year. The exam is above gcse level (by quite a lot in my opinion), and I can declare it on UCAS alongside my gcses and a-levels. Will this make the problem of not having an arts subject at A-level less significant? and how severe of a disadvantage do I have for not having an arts subject?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
If you're taking your A-Levels in modules (jan and june) as opposed to in one sitting in june, are you at a disadvantage? I know that this was the case last year, but has it changed for 2012 entry?? I really hope so as I really want to apply to UCL!!
Original post by Alex J
Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding a possible resit,

I obtained four As at AS level in biology, chemistry, physics and maths. My overall AS physics mark was 250/300 and I am considering redoing my empa (practical skills aspect of the course) in order to get a higher A grade, as that is where most of the marks were lost. I am not considering retaking any of my AS papers, for any subject, only this one practical exam. Would it be advisable to retake it, or will it affect the chances of my application to UCL being successful?
This is because i've heard UCL have a particularly stringent policy on resits.

That one resit should be okay. Just try and avoid doing any A2 exam resits. Given the nature that it is not an theoretical exam-paper like test, I'm sure it'll be given even more slack. Though if you're really really in doubt - contact medicine admissions as usual. However, having one (or even two) resits will not jeopardise your overall application - (unless you resit modules in A level chemistry which they might take a more adverse effect to). If you are doing 4 A2 subjects (which I imagine you are by the sounds of this, they won't care about the resit at all as they can easily view it as the 4th subject and not give it any consideration at all).

Edit: I'm aware my subject choices aren't ideal for UCL, as i'm lacking a "contrasting arts subject", but I passed the "DELF" exam in French, in my gcse year. The exam is above gcse level (by quite a lot in my opinion), and I can declare it on UCAS alongside my gcses and a-levels. Will this make the problem of not having an arts subject at A-level less significant? and how severe of a disadvantage do I have for not having an arts subject?

I seriously would not worry at all about their whole "contrasting arts subject" thing. Looking at the freshers group for my year - there are a considerable number of people with Chem+Bio and Maths/FM/Physics as their 3rd (as well as 4th in some cases) A2 subject. When they say a "slight" preference, they really do mean slight.

Just make sure you satisfy the 2012 onwards entry requirement of having a GCSE language (to grade C or above). If you don't, then I recommend you contact the admissions department to see if they will accept your qualification as an equivalent to compensate for this. You really do not want something as small as that to trip up your application unknowingly.

I'm sure you already know this, but all of the pre-entry information can be found on this document, with specific focus on pages 1 and 2: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/MBBS_Entry_Requirements.pdf
That one resit should be okay. Just try and avoid doing any A2 exam resits. Given the nature that it is not an theoretical exam-paper like test, I'm sure it'll be given even more slack. Though if you're really really in doubt - contact medicine admissions as usual. However, having one (or even two) resits will not jeopardise your overall application - (unless you resit modules in A level chemistry which they might take a more adverse effect to). If you are doing 4 A2 subjects (which I imagine you are by the sounds of this, they won't care about the resit at all as they can easily view it as the 4th subject and not give it any consideration at all).

I seriously would not worry at all about their whole "contrasting arts subject" thing. Looking at the freshers group for my year - there are a considerable number of people with Chem+Bio and Maths/FM/Physics as their 3rd (as well as 4th in some cases) A2 subject. When they say a "slight" preference, they really do mean slight.

Just make sure you satisfy the 2012 onwards entry requirement of having a GCSE language (to grade C or above). If you don't, then I recommend you contact the admissions department to see if they will accept your qualification as an equivalent to compensate for this. You really do not want something as small as that to trip up your application unknowingly.

I'm sure you already know this, but all of the pre-entry information can be found on this document, with specific focus on pages 1 and 2: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/MBBS_Entry_Requirements.pdf

How is the social life at UCL?
Reply 28
Original post by nikhil.shah
I think they are going to take them into consideration this year.... On their prospectus it says they would like to see the UMS scores/individual module grades on the teacher reference 'to see how the candidate has progressed since GCSEs' - dunno how much of a weighting they will really put on it, but something to keep in mind :smile:

Link to source
I think they are going to take them into consideration this year.... On their prospectus it says they would like to see the UMS scores/individual module grades on the teacher reference 'to see how the candidate has progressed since GCSEs' - dunno how much of a weighting they will really put on it, but something to keep in mind :smile:

Source?
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-programme/prospectus/medicalschoolprospectus2012.pdf

Its on page 31 or something under 'AS and A Level subjects'
- but reading it again it looks like its not like super duper high A's are going to make that much of a difference but it does say they want the referee to put in UMS or module grades in the reference...

"For candidates studying at UK schools, we require
predicted grades for qualifications being completed during
Year 13 and actual grades (or UMS marks) achieved
during Year 12 (even if these have not been formally
certificated or are likely to be repeated during Year 13).
This is to enable us to gauge the academic progress of the
candidate since GCSE. For this reason we ask that
referees include AS overall grades or UMS marks as part
of the reference wherever possible, or send these to us
separately if we request them."

Fair enough, although if it's in the reference you can always ask your tutor to be selective with them or include some statistical tricks :rolleyes:
Reply 31

Yeah I got A*s in spanish and french GCSE, so I fulfil that criterion

Thanks very much :h:
Reply 32
Original post by sam43
If you're taking your A-Levels in modules (jan and june) as opposed to in one sitting in june, are you at a disadvantage? I know that this was the case last year, but has it changed for 2012 entry?? I really hope so as I really want to apply to UCL!!

Anyone????
Reply 33
"For candidates studying at UK schools, we require
predicted grades for qualifications being completed during
Year 13 and actual grades (or UMS marks) achieved
during Year 12 (even if these have not been formally
certificated or are likely to be repeated during Year 13).
This is to enable us to gauge the academic progress of the
separately if we request them."

Fair enough, although if it's in the reference you can always ask your tutor to be selective with them or include some statistical tricks :rolleyes:

Lol; that's a stretch from what he first said.
Original post by sam43
Anyone????

It is a recommendation not a requirement. This is because they are reminding applicants that they need to be able to withstand a lot of work pressure at one time to be able to cope at the medical school. As long as your A-Levels are within the usual two year time-frame and you don't re-sit too many times you're fine and not at a disadvantage.
Reply 35
Lol calm down - I said 'On their prospectus it says they would like to see the UMS scores/individual module grades on the teacher reference 'to see how the candidate has progressed since GCSEs' and the prospectus says:
'This is to enable us to gauge the academic progress of the
separately if we request them.'

I'm not mad bro. Well done on your UMS, anyway.
How is the social life at UCL?

well, I am about to start in two weeks so cannot give a primary account. However I will tell you (living under 30 mins away from Gower Street) that UCL is in the best location in London out of all the London unis - it so central, everything major is no more than 15 minutes walk away. The current UCL Union website has a massive list of clubs and socs (though I think some are defunct now as they haven't appeared on my freshers list agenda) which are active allow you to meet like minded people. Because its in London, it has everything on its doorstep: museums, clubs, concerts (pop/classical/niche), public lectures and plenty of social things going on. While this is a fantastic benefit, what it does mean is that UCL's own union is not the most active compared to that of other universities in terms of arranging in-House social events and the such to as higher calibre. Other universities which aren't in such a major city are having bands and comedians in their freshers line up and regular bands to play at their union events - UCL doesn't really seem to have that as London has its own mass of venues (including the O2 and apollo theatre).

Also, depending on your preferences, UCL has no enclosed campus as such - it is directly in the city itself. So if you prefer a student bubble such as that provided by places like York - you might feel a little lost and anonymous at UCL as it is HUGE and quite open planned...

But above all else, I think no matter where you choose to go - it is up to you to make the most of it. All unis will have lots going on, its just whether you pick up on it.
Original post by sam43

Basically what marc_h94 said. Just avoid having any A2 resits whatsoever.

It is a recommendation not a requirement. This is because they are reminding applicants that they need to be able to withstand a lot of work pressure at one time to be able to cope at the medical school. As long as your A-Levels are within the usual two year time-frame and you don't re-sit too many times you're fine and not at a disadvantage.
Hi everyone
i would really love to go to UCL for English lit but i doubt i will get in.
I got AAC (plus another dropped A) in as lvels and i know they want a minimum of AAA.
my predicted grades will be AAB
Should i bother applying???
well, I am about to start in two weeks so cannot give a primary account. However I will tell you (living under 30 mins away from Gower Street) that UCL is in the best location in London out of all the London unis - it so central, everything major is no more than 15 minutes walk away. The current UCL Union website has a massive list of clubs and socs (though I think some are defunct now as they haven't appeared on my freshers list agenda) which are active allow you to meet like minded people. Because its in London, it has everything on its doorstep: museums, clubs, concerts (pop/classical/niche), public lectures and plenty of social things going on. While this is a fantastic benefit, what it does mean is that UCL's own union is not the most active compared to that of other universities in terms of arranging in-House social events and the such to as higher calibre. Other universities which aren't in such a major city are having bands and comedians in their freshers line up and regular bands to play at their union events - UCL doesn't really seem to have that as London has its own mass of venues (including the O2 and apollo theatre).

Also, depending on your preferences, UCL has no enclosed campus as such - it is directly in the city itself. So if you prefer a student bubble such as that provided by places like York - you might feel a little lost and anonymous at UCL as it is HUGE and quite open planned...

But above all else, I think no matter where you choose to go - it is up to you to make the most of it. All unis will have lots going on, its just whether you pick up on it.

Completely forgot you were a pre-fresher! Yeah I agree, for example I can imagine Camden having so much going on with regard to what I'm into. My question was aimed mainly at the union but I suppose with what you've just said there's not much need for it :L
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending