The Student Room Group

Anthropology Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Aaaah, everyone seems to be putting their applications in! I better work on mine and get mine sent :smile:

My choices:
Goldsmiths
Kent
Brunel
Exeter FCH (on a whim, haven't got the grades for it really, but always worth a shot)
5th - really having a tough time deciding! Want a back-up BBB option, but not sure where! Eeek! :smile:
Reply 61
I haven't sent mine off yet, just filled in the Choices part :wink:
Reply 62
Aaah, that's a relief!

Anyone go to the open day at Goldsmiths today? :smile:
Reply 63
Ahh an area of where there are people like me who get the same strange looks when I tell other people I want to study anthropology!

I'm going to apply to SOAS, Manchester, Sussex, Kent and I'm kinda stumped on the 5th choice.. any people have any good advice for me? I'm thinking of LSE, Goldsmiths, Brunel or something but I'm not sure..

I kinda want to be in a city or near one and not a fan of the sciences as my A levels of Government and Politics, Psychology, Drama+Theatre studies and previously Philosophy+Ethics show.. ^^;
Reply 64
Original post by Chrsi
Ahh an area of where there are people like me who get the same strange looks when I tell other people I want to study anthropology!

I'm going to apply to SOAS, Manchester, Sussex, Kent and I'm kinda stumped on the 5th choice.. any people have any good advice for me? I'm thinking of LSE, Goldsmiths, Brunel or something but I'm not sure..

I kinda want to be in a city or near one and not a fan of the sciences as my A levels of Government and Politics, Psychology, Drama+Theatre studies and previously Philosophy+Ethics show.. ^^;

Welcome! :wink:

I have the same problem with the sciences, and although Brunel is one of my back-up choices, the course there looks to be about half sci/half social even though they don't actually want any specific A-levels...

I went to see Goldsmiths on Saturday, but looking at your other choices already it's quite different there! It's a *very small* but nice campus, you can walk more or less everywhere within 5 minutes. I'm biased for Goldsmiths though, as it's my first choice, really. I'm just really fixed on being near London. :smile: I would have applied for LSE if I had AAB+ though :P.
Reply 65
Original post by Megin
Welcome! :wink:

I have the same problem with the sciences, and although Brunel is one of my back-up choices, the course there looks to be about half sci/half social even though they don't actually want any specific A-levels...

I went to see Goldsmiths on Saturday, but looking at your other choices already it's quite different there! It's a *very small* but nice campus, you can walk more or less everywhere within 5 minutes. I'm biased for Goldsmiths though, as it's my first choice, really. I'm just really fixed on being near London. :smile: I would have applied for LSE if I had AAB+ though :P.

Ah yeah that kinda rules out Brunel then.. haha

Yeah I've heard good things about Goldsmiths, its near Shoreditch right? I'm a Londoner already so it's nothing new to me :smile:

I'm tempted by LSE but I don't get a good vibe from there, a bit dodgy perhaps? Also a bit too academic for my liking? My AAA prediction means I can apply pretty much anywhere but I don't really want to do physical/biological anthropology (UCL, Durham) and nor do I want to go to Scotland (St Andrews, Edinburgh) so I've kinda limited my choice.. -___-
Original post by Chrsi
Ah yeah that kinda rules out Brunel then.. haha

Yeah I've heard good things about Goldsmiths, its near Shoreditch right? I'm a Londoner already so it's nothing new to me :smile:

I'm tempted by LSE but I don't get a good vibe from there, a bit dodgy perhaps? Also a bit too academic for my liking? My AAA prediction means I can apply pretty much anywhere but I don't really want to do physical/biological anthropology (UCL, Durham) and nor do I want to go to Scotland (St Andrews, Edinburgh) so I've kinda limited my choice.. -___-

I thought I didn't want to do biological anth at all and was really worried about it, but so far I enjoy it way more than the social side, so maybe worth at least considering some of those places :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by Antifazian
I thought I didn't want to do biological anth at all and was really worried about it, but so far I enjoy it way more than the social side, so maybe worth at least considering some of those places :smile:

Ah where do you go to? I suppose so but you can see my A level subjects and I've always had a bit of a loathing for science and I am rather resentful when it comes up in psychology! :tongue:
Original post by Chrsi
Ah where do you go to? I suppose so but you can see my A level subjects and I've always had a bit of a loathing for science and I am rather resentful when it comes up in psychology! :tongue:

Durham :smile: I didn't take any science subjects other than Psychology either, but like I said quite enjoying the sciencey stuff here so far. Maybe that will change when it gets hard :tongue:
Reply 69
I just applied about a week ago! I didn't do really that well at AS, I only got 2As a B and a random fluke of a D that I'm retaking since I did so well on the coursework. What did everyone else get?

I'm applying to Cambridge just because I live so close, on the off chance I might get in. I'm going on a gap year for a year to Peru so I don't think I could deal with being really far away from them for like four years... I'm applying to LSE, Durham, UCL and Kent
Reply 70
Original post by Chrsi

wow! exactly the same choices as mine :smile: my 5th is edinburgh. :badger:
Reply 71
Original post by LRodel
wow! exactly the same choices as mine :smile: my 5th is edinburgh. :badger:

Wow nice! Great minds think alike :wink: I don't really wanna go Scotland though.. haha, what is your first choice?
Reply 72
Original post by lanatic
I just applied about a week ago! I didn't do really that well at AS, I only got 2As a B and a random fluke of a D that I'm retaking since I did so well on the coursework. What did everyone else get?

I'm applying to Cambridge just because I live so close, on the off chance I might get in. I'm going on a gap year for a year to Peru so I don't think I could deal with being really far away from them for like four years... I'm applying to LSE, Durham, UCL and Kent

I got a random fluke of a D too, mine was chemistry (irrelevant drivel anyway!). I got AACCD and predicted A for EPQ. But we have 3 uni's in common, LSE, Durham and Kent :smile: My other two are St Andys and Bristol, good luck!!
Reply 73
I'm so excited by it all. :d
Reply 74
Original post by Madison.
I got a random fluke of a D too, mine was chemistry (irrelevant drivel anyway!). I got AACCD and predicted A for EPQ. But we have 3 uni's in common, LSE, Durham and Kent :smile: My other two are St Andys and Bristol, good luck!!

Hehehe, definitely! Good luck to you too!
Reply 75
Goldsmiths is amazing, come here :smile:
Reply 76
does anyone know any foreign universitys who do social anthropology in english (i know ofc america & canada..) :smile:?

this is out of curiosity
Hey fellow Anth applicants. Got a conditional offer from Goldmiths today for Anthropology. Don't yet know the details. My first offer!!
Reply 78
Okay, I've now changed around and my definate places to apply is SOAS, Manchester, LSE and now I'm not sure between Sussex, Kent and Goldsmiths. I don't know which two to choose? Help me people! ^^;
I guess it depends on your grades. If they are good I would choose Sussex and Goldsmiths, since Kent is a bit worse and I guess will want less from you. I am choosing SOAS, LSE, Sussex, Goldsmiths and Edinburgh. If you want a back up if anything goes wrong , maybe take Kent and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest