The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Basically I created this thread so Law applicants for 2012 entry can discuss various open days, AS exams and results and any general topics of discussion.
For example, so far I have been to Warwick and Queen Mary open days. Out of personal preference I really liked Warwick and could easily see myself there, but I was put off Queen Mary due to the A*AA requirements, whereas I could apply to somewhere like Warwick for AAAc or Bristol for AAA+LNAT.

Foolishly, I also forgot to add where I plan to apply:-
Bristol
Warwick
Exeter
Newcastle
Sussex
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey :smile: I am one of law 2012 applicants.I choosed Warwick,Essex,Kent universities already and looking for two more as an insurance.I am very scared for my English,cause I do many grammatical mistakes.In autumn im going to take IELTS exam.During this summer when I will finish my driving licenze school I'll start to write personal statement.Anyway I wanna find some people with the same interests :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ajira
Hey :smile: I am one of law 2012 applicants.I choosed Warwick,Essex,Kent universities already and looking for two more as an insurance.I am very scared for my English,cause I do many grammatical mistakes.In autumn im going to take IELTS exam.During this summer when I will finish my driving licenze school I'll start to write personal statement.Anyway I wanna find some people with the same interests :smile:

Are you foreign? I don't know why but I totally read that post with an accent. Maybe I'm just weird :biggrin:
Reply 3
Yes you are totally right :biggrin: I am foreign.That's why I want to improve my English language skills to not look like a foreigner anymore :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Apollo11
Are you foreign? I don't know why but I totally read that post with an accent. Maybe I'm just weird :biggrin:

Yes you are totally right! :biggrin: I am foreign.That's why I want to improve my English language skills to not look like a foreigner anymore ! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by ajira
Yes you are totally right! :biggrin: I am foreign.That's why I want to improve my English language skills to not look like a foreigner anymore ! :biggrin:

Good luck with that! If you ever have any questions (about grammar etc) you can PM me and I'll see if I can answer it :smile:
Reply 6
I'm going to be applying this season also!

Durham
Nottingham
Bristol
Exeter
Kent

Hopefully... my GCSE's are piss poor for Durham , piss poor for my first three tbh >.< - A*A*AAAAAAABB, but hey, I needed a wild card :biggrin:
Original post by Sean9001
I'm going to be applying this season also!

Durham
Nottingham
Bristol
Exeter
Kent

Hopefully... my GCSE's are piss poor for Durham , piss poor for my first three tbh >.< - A*A*AAAAAAABB, but hey, I needed a wild card :biggrin:

I know Durham are very keen on GCSEs, but with Nottingham and Bristol I think you can easily rectify your average (if I may say that, as I, too, am in the same position GCSE-wise) GCSEs with a decent LNAT and AS results.
I think if you get a decent set of AS results 3As+, they tend to pay less attention to GCSEs. Or so I was informed at Warwick.
wow, this is early! i haven't been to any open days yet but i'm 90% sure i'll be applying for Law. It depends on my AS grades. If they're not great then i might change my mind and apply for Criminology because Law grade requirements on the whole are so high!
Reply 9
Hopefully will be applying,if i get the neccessary grades :yep: Not really decided on where to apply, but looking at
Warwick
Nottingham
+3
I think I'm the first Scot! I'm planning on applying to mainly Scots universities but I am debating, applying to some English Uni's too (despite the exorbitant fees :P)
I'm predicted at between AAAAC and AAABC and am thinking of applying to Aberdeen, Stirling, either Dundee or Strathclyde for my fourth choice, or either KCL and Sussex for my fifth choice. I'm just not entirely sure on where I fancy yet. :P
Reply 11
Shame my GCSE's are rubbish... AAAABBBBBBCCC :frown:
Current AS's are BBB, possibly relatively high B's :smile:

I want to go to:
Durham
Nottingham
UCL
KCL
Warrick
Reply 12
I've no idea where I want to go, if I was to guess at my AS Results i'd be pitching at AABB I think. My GCSEs are mediocre AAAAABBBBCC. I can't see me getting into anywhere particularly good with those grades.
Reply 13
Original post by Jakeeyy
Shame my GCSE's are rubbish... AAAABBBBBBCCC :frown:
Current AS's are BBB, possibly relatively high B's :smile:

I want to go to:
Durham
Nottingham
UCL
KCL
Warrick

I'm going to be completely honest with you...your grades don't seem high enough for any of those places. If you can get predicted AAA, it might be worth picking one of Warwick/KCL/Nottingham (with the notion an offer is unlikely) and maybe something like Newcastle/Manchester/Brimingham. Then the rest being something more reachable.
Original post by adam0311
I'm going to be completely honest with you...your grades don't seem high enough for any of those places. If you can get predicted AAA, it might be worth picking one of Warwick/KCL/Nottingham (with the notion an offer is unlikely) and maybe something like Newcastle/Manchester/Brimingham. Then the rest being something more reachable.

I would agree, although KCL are now asking for A*AAa + LNAT - so I'd rethink applying there also. If I were you I'd look at places like UEA, Sussex and Kent. Hope that helps a bit more.
Reply 15
Original post by Jackasaurus Rex
I would agree, although KCL are now asking for A*AAa + LNAT - so I'd rethink applying there also. If I were you I'd look at places like UEA, Sussex and Kent. Hope that helps a bit more.

Oh really? Didn't know that. Scratch that then.

Yes, I would agree with those recommendations.
Oh really? Didn't know that. Scratch that then.

Yes, I would agree with those recommendations.

I thought it was quite unusual, as initially I had planned on applying there with the previous AAAb + LNAT requirements. Then I decided it would be too much hassle considering I probably wouldn't get an offer. On the UCAS website for 2012 requirements it initially stated AAAa + LNAT, which differed to the KCL website. So I emailed KCL and they came back to me with A*AAa + LNAT, which seems a bit strange to me considering there are law schools which are just as good that ask for lower grades.
Reply 17
Original post by Jackasaurus Rex
I thought it was quite unusual, as initially I had planned on applying there with the previous AAAb + LNAT requirements. Then I decided it would be too much hassle considering I probably wouldn't get an offer. On the UCAS website for 2012 requirements it initially stated AAAa + LNAT, which differed to the KCL website. So I emailed KCL and they came back to me with A*AAa + LNAT, which seems a bit strange to me considering there are law schools which are just as good that ask for lower grades.

Hmmm...interesting.

A couple of these schools have bumped their offers--I know QMUL has A*AA as well. Has UCL bumped up?
Hmmm...interesting.

A couple of these schools have bumped their offers--I know QMUL has A*AA as well. Has UCL bumped up?

As far as I'm aware, no. Birmingham have said they'll accept A*AB, but apart from that I don't think there's been much change, but Manchester have said they will be using the LNAT as well now.
Reply 19
Am I the only person on this planet applying to top universities with only A*, A*, A, B, B, B, C?! I wish I'd taken my gcses into my own hands rather than rely on my god-awful school. Also, I hate to sound as if I blame my failure on external factors, so I admit I should've used my initiative and learnt the curriculum myself but was 15 for the majority of it; perhaps I didn't mature early enough.

Good luck to everyone applying, especially those with below-par GCSEs from underperforming State schools; go and beat everyone with a headstart and jog to the finish line like Usain Bolt.

Quick Reply

Latest