The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roobsa
Anyone watching the track cycling? Laura Trott absolutely killed it in the Omnium elimination round.

I watched the mens point race and the mens elimintion on friday night was good fun.

There's an outside track near me where they do track racing during the summer. And tempted to go down on a practise week and have a go for lulz. One time when i was cycling there i met a coach who trains people who seemed cool.

OH, and fell off my bicycle on the way back from the gym the other day.

The gym was packed so i decided to cycle home in my gym shorts instead of changing back into my jeans.I was cold outside so decided to cycle faster to stop myself being cold...

Oh and earlier on when i was cycling with some mates after lecture we had gone offroad on the way to this park place.

Muddy tyres+ very quick cornering = crashed...
Scraped both knees, big scrape back of my thigh, deskinned both hands. Not too bad. Am alright really. Nothing major really.

Spoiler

Original post by Roobsa
Anyone watching the track cycling? Laura Trott absolutely killed it in the Omnium elimination round.

Is it Lizzie Armistead who was being interviewed on occasions today, with Jake from BBC?

She is sublime, looks and cycling talent.
Reply 3722
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Is it Lizzie Armistead who was being interviewed on occasions today, with Jake from BBC?She is sublime, looks and cycling talent.

Yeah it was.
Reply 3723
Today me and my brother in law went out on his road bikes... god they are so much better than my crappy mountain bike! They are so easy to ride and you can go so fast! When I got home I rode mine for a little while and my fastest gear seemed really slow.

A road bike would be a nice upgrade but I really don't went to spend a few hundred on a nice roadbike when I'm only riding it to college, I couldn't bear it if something happen to it or some idiot decides to be a ****.
Reply 3724
Original post by D4rth
Today me and my brother in law went out on his road bikes... god they are so much better than my crappy mountain bike! They are so easy to ride and you can go so fast! When I got home I rode mine for a little while and my fastest gear seemed really slow.A road bike would be a nice upgrade but I really don't went to spend a few hundred on a nice roadbike when I'm only riding it to college, I couldn't bear it if something happen to it or some idiot decides to be a ****.

Insurance. :yy:
Reply 3725
Hello all,

Is there anyone who Cycles to any of the univeristies in London? I am thinking of cycling a 14 mile door to door of my house to university. There and back btw.

What is your advice on this? I have cycled to the station and back since July 2011. Though, travel especially in London is expensive! And student loans has been cutted since last year.
Reply 3726
I was just cycling home, in the pouring rain, I'm going around a roundabout, one of those big ones, probably at 25-30mph when all of a sudden this moronic woman comes out of the side, if I hadn't braked on time I would have slammed right into her, all I could hear was her screaming inside.
Original post by D4rth
I was just cycling home, in the pouring rain, I'm going around a roundabout, one of those big ones, probably at 25-30mph when all of a sudden this moronic woman comes out of the side, if I hadn't braked on time I would have slammed right into her, all I could hear was her screaming inside.

In all honesty, i dont think drivers will ever learn...... when an accident happens between a cyclist and a driver, in the vast majority of cases the cyclist is always assumed to be in the wrong. I was on my way to meet the club yesterday morning at 8am, it was bright, full vis kit on, flashing lights front and back, all of a sudden this articulated lorry just comes sweeping by, extremely close to my handlebars and immediately sweeps back in.... this was on a very wide road with no oncoming traffic.

On a more pleasant point the club run yesterday was on a new route altogether, split into 2 groups after a climb called flagstead, first proper mountain I have ever climbed. After the climb we split into 2 groups, one that headed for the restaurant and got lunch and the other that added an additional 20 miles to their journey by climbing some place called "long ladies grave".... going by that name I should have went with the easier group as it just shouted out "leg burning"..... to say the least my legs were just on fire when we got to the top of that haha.... We then descended into Carlingford and had a very long straight back to Newry, so that ended up at a high pace which was so hard to maintain after the climbing. Whilst climbing the views were the best I had ever witnessed, just couldn't believe how good it looked... was around 4 degrees with a nice sheet of light frost over the fields below. 100% the hardest cycle to date but extremely pleased with my winter training paying off :smile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXm_iNPGeEI&feature=related

Mate just linked me to his video, its pretty damb good :smile:
Reply 3729
Original post by Irishguy2K10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXm_iNPGeEI&feature=relatedMate just linked me to his video, its pretty damb good :smile:

1:40 - The guy infront just disappeared! What's going on there!?

Edit: With the black magic of Google Translate, it appears it's 2 videos cut together. Not sure how they managed to get 2 runs to line up exactly the same in the exact same place though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Roobsa
1:40 - The guy infront just disappeared! What's going on there!?

Edit: With the black magic of Google Translate, it appears it's 2 videos cut together. Not sure how they managed to get 2 runs to line up exactly the same in the exact same place though.

Yea, I was wondering that myself. i thought that the guy in front crashed and he edited over it but its weird how they got the two lined up as u said.
Is it bad to buy a Β£950 bike with your bursary for uni? :tongue:

I've had the same bike now for 3 years and tbh, my little Bianchi is still going alright but it's just not as smooth as it used to be. Also the frame is a little small for me now. I've found a new bike, I'm completely in love with it but it's Β£950. If I sell my bike for Β£250 it won't be as bad. I've also got my first two time trials of the year (I haven't raced in over a year either) which I wouldn't mind the new bike for.

As you can see I am desperately trying to justify this purchase...

http://www.beelinebicycles.co.uk/bianchi-via-nirone-7-xenon-2012-model-_4368/?path=2,7,11,4368 :love:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by soutioirsim
Is it bad to buy a Β£950 bike with your bursary for uni? :tongue:

I've had the same bike now for 3 years and tbh, my little Bianchi is still going alright but it's just not as smooth as it used to be. Also the frame is a little small for me now. I've found a new bike, I'm completely in love with it but it's Β£950. If I sell my bike for Β£250 it won't be as bad. I've also got my first two time trials of the year (I haven't raced in over a year either) which I wouldn't mind the new bike for.

As you can see I am desperately trying to justify this purchase...

http://www.beelinebicycles.co.uk/bianchi-via-nirone-7-xenon-2012-model-_4368/?path=2,7,11,4368 :love:

Haha, this is exactly what I was like when purchasing my first proper road bike. I had one for like 4 years and I honestly had the full use out of it, I was out growing the frame, the gears were on the down tube and I wanted to get myself the new sti gear system..... so I made up every possible reason to spend that money :biggrin: No matter how many time you say no, you will just end up buying it like myself :biggrin:
Reply 3733
Ok guys I need your expert help! I think it's time to get a new road bike, my sisters 8 year old mountain bike is falling apart... literally, this morning the chain fell off and on the way back the entire pedal metal part just wobbled off.

I don't want anything too fancy and definitely not something expensive, I was thinking something for under 200quid? I would be really upset/annoyed if I bought a nice, expensive bike and it just gets stolen/damaged.

I don't really know what size to get, heres a table I got from evans

Rider HeightFrame Size Suggested
Feet and InchesCentimetres CentimetresSize

5' 9" - 6' 0"175 - 18356 - 57 - 58L

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing#road

I've been looking on ebay but I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for in terms of size, gears, and all that other technical stuff. What about something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-VIKING-SPRINT-MENS-ROAD-RACING-BIKE-RRP-249-99-/380364324104?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&var=&hash=item975880a705 I'm not too sure on the colour, might be too bright and attract too much attention

I narrowed the search down to this

I had a quick look on halfords/evans and everything is quite expensive, the lowest halfords went for a road bike was 500.

Thanks guys.

Also, do you think I would need mudguards on a road bike? My mountain bikes mudguards are pathetic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Haha, this is exactly what I was like when purchasing my first proper road bike. I had one for like 4 years and I honestly had the full use out of it, I was out growing the frame, the gears were on the down tube and I wanted to get myself the new sti gear system..... so I made up every possible reason to spend that money :biggrin: No matter how many time you say no, you will just end up buying it like myself :biggrin:

Ha yeah I will probably end up buying this bike :biggrin: I just like to justify it as much as I can to make myself feel less guilty :tongue:
Right
I crashed pretty badly into a car today doing I guess 15-17mph after I braked as hard as I could. Guy came from the left (I had right of way) but he didn't steer quite into the road so the impact sort of stopped me rather than deflecting me.
I think my front wheel's not bent but I have no way of telling whether my fork's alright or not... it seems unharmed but I hear you can't be too sure with carbon. Also my left shifter now faces inwards rather than straight ahead and I have no idea how to fix it. I lifted up the hood and it seems it's attached to the handlebars with a steel strip but I couldn't find where I can loosen it to put the shifter in its place. Am I making any sense to anyone? Pleeeease help, what do I do?
Reply 3736
SRAM have released high end models of gripshift for its XX and X0 range of 2x10 gearing: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-grip-shift-10-speed-press-release-2012.html

p4pb7736644.jpg

I won't be upgrading, I'd like to swap to SRAM someday, but I wouldn't ever touch gripshift, I like triggers much more.
I was linked to a youtube video advertising a Team GB cycling scalextric track, yesterday...

Expect to see alot of this kind of olympic-orientated merchandise in the next 5-6 months!!
Reply 3738
Original post by D4rth
Ok guys I need your expert help! I think it's time to get a new road bike, my sisters 8 year old mountain bike is falling apart... literally, this morning the chain fell off and on the way back the entire pedal metal part just wobbled off.

I don't want anything too fancy and definitely not something expensive, I was thinking something for under 200quid? I would be really upset/annoyed if I bought a nice, expensive bike and it just gets stolen/damaged.

I don't really know what size to get, heres a table I got from evans

Rider HeightFrame Size Suggested
Feet and InchesCentimetresCentimetresSize

5' 9" - 6' 0"175 - 18356 - 57 - 58L

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing#road

I've been looking on ebay but I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for in terms of size, gears, and all that other technical stuff. What about something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-VIKING-SPRINT-MENS-ROAD-RACING-BIKE-RRP-249-99-/380364324104?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&var=&hash=item975880a705 I'm not too sure on the colour, might be too bright and attract too much attention

I narrowed the search down to this

I had a quick look on halfords/evans and everything is quite expensive, the lowest halfords went for a road bike was 500.

Thanks guys.

Also, do you think I would need mudguards on a road bike? My mountain bikes mudguards are pathetic.

Ok so I found a bike I really like!

Any comments?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIZANI-AERO-SPRINT-ROAD-BIKE-14-SPEED-SHIMANO-GEAR-SET-/300661029991?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&vti=Frame+Size%0956+cm&hash=item8bb4e968d3
anyone can suggest where I can buy a nice 700c budget wheels? got mine stolen. (Front wheels)

Latest