The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ioikonomou
do you know around how much does transportation costs in glasgow?supposing that u use means of public transport such as bus/metro..or even bike?

Well bike obviously costs however much a bike costs.

Subway = £1.20 single, £2.40 return or you can buy 20 journey for £20

Bus depends on how far you're traveling but they don't give you change.

But really you don't particularly need to use public transport.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
oh thanks for the info:smile: are there any travel cards like- oyster for london-???
so u think i dont really need public transportation?i usually hear that glasgow's big city and need lot of transportation..where r u from?wht r u aplying btw?:smile:
oh thanks for the info:smile: are there any travel cards like- oyster for london-???
so u think i dont really need public transportation?i usually hear that glasgow's big city and need lot of transportation..where r u from?wht r u aplying btw?:smile:

There are zone cards.

No as a student you don't need transport. Yes it's a big city but you will be living in the west end and venturing to the city centre from time to time. It's a half hour/three quarters of an hour walk in between the two and really isn't bad at all (although you can subway if you'd rather). I'm a second year at Glasgow doing Eng Lang but I'm from England.

And can I please remind you that this forum does not allow 'txt spk'
do you know how much money would the cost for each person be,if sharing a house like 4-5 people?how much do u think the rent for each one would be?(per month)
do you know how much money would the cost for each person be,if sharing a house like 4-5 people?how much do u think the rent for each one would be?(per month)

It really does depend on where abouts you live and how nice you want flat to be. A flat for 4 is normally between £1400-1700 a month for all 4 people.
Reply 1145
Original post by Niamh Mc D
I'm still waiting to hear from Strathclyde, they better hurry up so i can firm uni of glasgow and apply for accomdation :frown:

I just cancelled my Strathclyde application, I'd already decided I want to go to Glasgow so there was no point waiting.
Reply 1146
Original post by Jamin
I just cancelled my Strathclyde application, I'd already decided I want to go to Glasgow so there was no point waiting.

Same, well, I cancelled Dundee's, wasn't going there anyhoo. If you have a unconditional (and prefer Glasgow), you may as well. Whereas, if you have a conditional - I'm not sure how much it'll help if you apply early, since your application can't really be considered until August; in which case, I would just wait.

I have a conditional but I wanted to know how I'd be categorized, I only live about a few miles away and I've been allocated Category A status :s-smilie:

Weird.
Reply 1147
Original post by Tara I
Same, well, I cancelled Dundee's, wasn't going there anyhoo. If you have a unconditional (and prefer Glasgow), you may as well. Whereas, if you have a conditional - I'm not sure how much it'll help if you apply early, since your application can't really be considered until August; in which case, I would just wait.

I have a conditional but I wanted to know how I'd be categorized, I only live about a few miles away and I've been allocated Category A status :s-smilie:

Weird.

Ah, yes, I should clarify I had an unconditional so I was only going to decline all the other offers anyway. I've been out of school for a few years and have been at University already so I was only going to get Yes or No's so to speak. I'm still unsure of whether I'm going into halls or not. When I was a student before I ended up in a "student house" so never really had the experience of proper halls...but then given that I'm going to be about 4 years older than the average student there I'm in two minds as to whether I really want to stay in halls.

My other dilemna is I have a mate who has a flat in Glasgow and he has a spare room, it's a lot cheaper but it's out in Maryhill and I think i'd rather live closer to the city centre even at the greater cost. Commuting from home isn't an option at all because I live in Stirling so I'm not sure what I want to do.

What halls are you applying for? I think if I'm going for it I'll be putting QM at the top of the list, I really don't fancy sharing a room at all and I was actually really surprised that still happens.
Original post by Annie-Bananie
hill flats sounds really cute :biggrin: i should totally do that. my dad promised to be my "flats sponsor" as I will finally (in his opinion) wear proper shoes. :biggrin:

oh well, I guess I will clean everything myself then. I used to do it before I moved to the boarding school, so it is not a big deal, I just hope I'll end up with people who appreciate clean bathroom as much as I do :smile:

Oh Murano please be as sociable as everyone says you are!
It's the main and actually only reason I'm choosing it as I'm a little party animal myself :biggrin:

Does anyone know if people from different flats spend a lot of time with each other or is it more like an in-group/out-group situation? just don't wanna end up with boring neighbours :frown:

I'm the same as you i don't want boring people at all haha that's what i'm most nervous about is getting people who want to sit in all the time and not party!! me and you can be party friends haha!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
It really does depend on where abouts you live and how nice you want flat to be. A flat for 4 is normally between £1400-1700 a month for all 4 people.

aha,quite expensive..:frown: could you give me an estimate of how much per week would i spend on food supposing that im cooking on a regular basis?
Original post by Jamin

I was thinking about doing that but i'm gonna hold out a little longer because i want to have Strathclyde as my insurance because it's lower grades than uni of, although i should get into Uni of (hopefully haha)
Reply 1151
I was thinking about doing that but i'm gonna hold out a little longer because i want to have Strathclyde as my insurance because it's lower grades than uni of, although i should get into Uni of (hopefully haha)

Well that's fair enough then, only a week to wait then you'll hear back anyway. What halls are you applying to?
aha,quite expensive..:frown: could you give me an estimate of how much per week would i spend on food supposing that im cooking on a regular basis?

That's really not expensive for the UK at all!

I cook everyday and a £20 shop does me at least a week and a half.
I'm the same as you i don't want boring people at all haha that's what i'm most nervous about is getting people who want to sit in all the time and not party!! me and you can be party friends haha!

hahah totally!! sounds so good to me! :biggrin: what are you going to study?

are you choosing Murano as well? ooh it is so hard to choose between large and small flats.. I mean, it must sound pretty stupid, but it is kinda important :biggrin:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
That's really not expensive for the UK at all!

I cook everyday and a £20 shop does me at least a week and a half.

oh thats good!any suggestion of cheap accomodation for staying at halls?
i applied at gsa for architecture,what about you?
oh thats good!any suggestion of cheap accomodation for staying at halls?
i applied at gsa for architecture,what about you?

The halls prices should all be listed on the website.

I've already said I'm a second year at Glasgow Uni.
Reply 1156
Original post by Jamin
Ah, yes, I should clarify I had an unconditional so I was only going to decline all the other offers anyway. I've been out of school for a few years and have been at University already so I was only going to get Yes or No's so to speak. I'm still unsure of whether I'm going into halls or not. When I was a student before I ended up in a "student house" so never really had the experience of proper halls...but then given that I'm going to be about 4 years older than the average student there I'm in two minds as to whether I really want to stay in halls.

My other dilemna is I have a mate who has a flat in Glasgow and he has a spare room, it's a lot cheaper but it's out in Maryhill and I think i'd rather live closer to the city centre even at the greater cost. Commuting from home isn't an option at all because I live in Stirling so I'm not sure what I want to do.

What halls are you applying for? I think if I'm going for it I'll be putting QM at the top of the list, I really don't fancy sharing a room at all and I was actually really surprised that still happens.

Well, this is embarrassing... I currently reside in a cave with Muslims (more or less), and I'm 17. So I've applied to Murano, in the hopes of over-indulging in anything/everything I've ever been restricted from :P Silly, I know. But meh, all is fair in love and LULZ. Plus, I won't have any financial support from le famille, so I can't really afford QM or such. Also, sharing rooms only happens in Cairncross, and they give you the option of singles too but they don't have many. Just don't put twin on your options and put Cairncross last (to fill the six slots).

Although, I see your dilemma. I mean, I'm seriously looking forward to living in halls but if I were a little older I'm not sure I'd want to. Even if you live with your friend, you could still have a bad-ass social life, and you'd save money. You'd meet more people in halls, 80% of which will be first years, but I suppose the locations will be better. But to be honest, you did say you thought maybe you missed out, in which case I would say - just go for it, even if all you do is realise the time is gone; it's better than not knowing. Find out how the contracts work though, in case you wish to leave.

Best of luck buddy! :biggrin:

hey there! im going to glasgow most probably next year ,to gsa actually for architecture...and im now checking for accomodation,what do you suggest me????im actually more conserned about the cost so i want sth cheap as possible...
Original post by Jamin
Well that's fair enough then, only a week to wait then you'll hear back anyway. What halls are you applying to?

Yup i just have to be patient now.

Murano is my first choice, i know a girl there and she said they're lively and that's what i'm looking for! you applying to halls?
Reply 1159
Yup i just have to be patient now.

Murano is my first choice, i know a girl there and she said they're lively and that's what i'm looking for! you applying to halls?

Yep, considering it more and more every day, hopefully QM but I guess I'll have to wait and see :/

Quick Reply

Latest