The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
It's funny how everyone here thinks Durham is good for A&F. Unis like Bham, Manc and Notts are easily better.
What's better for Accounting and Finance between University of Birmingham and University of Nottingham? And why is Birmingham ranked like 54th for Accounting and Finance?
Manchester vs Southampton?
Reply 1263
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1264
Original post by uxa595
It's funny how everyone here thinks Durham is good for A&F. Unis like Bham, Manc and Notts are easily better.

Why do you think Birminham is better for A&F than Durham?
Can anyway tell me how good the accounting course with a placement year (requirements AAA) at uni of manchester is?
Reply 1266
Original post by nakz_
Why do you think Birminham is better for A&F than Durham?

Birmingham has been running it's A&F course for many years and it's in the birmingham business school, which again has been going for many years and therefore it's got a decent and longstanding rep.
Durham A&F is a new course at the new stocksomething campus on the other side of the city in a new business school. Neither the course nor school have any sort of rep and not they haven't even gotten 1 set of students through the full 3 yrs yet.

Original post by madrid90
Can anyway tell me how good the accounting course with a placement year (requirements AAA) at uni of manchester is?

It's a good course and if you value the placement year, a great course but i don't believe it's to the standard of LSE/Warwick (both AAA) and potentially a few others.
If you can get those sort of grades, i would recommend going to LSE/Warwick and taking a year out to do anything you wish which they will most likely allow.
Reply 1267
it is mentioned in warwick's email that they will make the majority of the decisions by the end of march....now i am a bit worry whether i am the minority :/
By the way, how do everyone think about Bristol? I realized that their business department is a bit small :s-smilie: Does it really matter?
Reply 1268
Received a rejection from LSE today, so I guess I'll be firming Warwick! :smile:
Reply 1269
Just got my LSE offer today! So happy.
Oh and small question, which is a better insurance choice, Southampton or Cardiff?
Original post by rapide66
I'm still waiting, when did u send urs?

Sorry for the late reply...I handed in my application before December...R u still waiting now??? I'm still waiting!!! No reply at all...Do you think that it's getting less likely???? Oh my god!!
Hey,guys, anybody else still waiting for a reply from warwick???? I think they are sooooo slow this year!!! Why do they take so long to consider my application??? Is it getting less likely?? Anyone hear from warwick yet??? Either rejection or offer???
Original post by uxa595
It's a good course and if you value the placement year, a great course but i don't believe it's to the standard of LSE/Warwick (both AAA) and potentially a few others.
If you can get those sort of grades, i would recommend going to LSE/Warwick and taking a year out to do anything you wish which they will most likely allow.

Both those instituitions are very hard to get into, i'm guessin pretty much everyone who applies there will have AAA atleast. Aside from: warwick, LSE, bristol and mayby bath, would you say manchester is the next best for accounting? Or atleast roughly there? How valuable do you think that placement year can prove to be in terms of employment after? Particularly with the Big 4?

Thanks.
Reply 1273
Original post by madrid90
Both those instituitions are very hard to get into, i'm guessin pretty much everyone who applies there will have AAA atleast. Aside from: warwick, LSE, bristol and mayby bath, would you say manchester is the next best for accounting? Or atleast roughly there? How valuable do you think that placement year can prove to be in terms of employment after? Particularly with the Big 4?

Thanks.

LSE and warwick are by no means hard to get offers from. If i can do it, most others should be able to with some effort. :redface: I'm a resit student who got AAAABBCCDD at GCSE so anything is possible given the rest of your application (particularly your PS) is good.

If you intend to work at the big 4, uni's really won't matter too much as far as they have told me. As long as you get past the online tests, have the soft skills and a decent CV, it shouldn't be too hard to land a job, especially if you do a placement year with one of them.

I think it would be best to ask the big 4 HR that question but personally i don't value a placement year too much as i think my CV should look equally as good given i am able to land some good spring and summer internships, which are generally very helpful to getting you a full time job too!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lil159097
Hey,guys, anybody else still waiting for a reply from warwick???? I think they are sooooo slow this year!!! Why do they take so long to consider my application??? Is it getting less likely?? Anyone hear from warwick yet??? Either rejection or offer???

me too. I have submitted my application in early October 2011 but am still waiting for Warwick decision. Warwick is testing my tolerance.
Reply 1275
Received an offer form Durham! yes! :P
Original post by jackychan
me too. I have submitted my application in early October 2011 but am still waiting for Warwick decision. Warwick is testing my tolerance.

exactly,could I ask for your predicted grade if u don't mind?? Mine is AAAb.....just meet their minimum requirement...soooo anxious....
I already achieved 3 A* in Physics, Chem and Biology in June 2011 and achieved A* in further mathematics in Jan 2012. At the time I submitted my application in Ocotober 2011, the result of my last module FPM 6667 is still outstanding. I believe Warwick is hesitant to make an offer to me because I am a pure science student.
Reply 1278
I already achieved 3 A* in Physics, Chem and Biology in June 2011 and achieved A* in further mathematics in Jan 2012. At the time I submitted my application in Ocotober 2011, the result of my last module FPM 6667 is still outstanding. I believe Warwick is hesitant to make an offer to me because I am a pure science student.

You took FM but not maths? I doubt they'd be hesitant to make an offer to someone with 3A*s in the bag already. There's still time to receive an offer, don't lose all hope. Where else have you applied?

Your situation is way better than mine, I am a pure science student as well:smile: I do think that you will get an offer:smile: don't worry, just wait patiently:smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest