The Student Room Group

What happens if I get reported for cheating in a GCSE exam?

Okay, so I took my Maths GCSE exam a few days ago, and whilst checking through my paper in the exam, I was holding one of the sheets up (whilst flicking pages) not realising I was showing answers to another student. The invidulator came up to me and said you must keep your paper flat as it another student to my right can see it. I explained I wasn't aware that I was in fact revealing answers to another student.

She let me off, but if she didn't let me off, what would have happened?

Also, does this count as cheating as I wasn't the one actually looking at someone elses exam paper?

Plus, what happens if someone gets excluded from a particular exam? Do they get taken out there and then, told they've been disqualified, or find out only on results day?
Reply 1
Original post by fizzbizz
Okay, so I took my Maths GCSE exam a few days ago, and whilst checking through my paper in the exam, I was holding one of the sheets up (whilst flicking pages) not realising I was showing answers to another student. The invidulator came up to me and said you must keep your paper flat as it another student to my right can see it. I explained I wasn't aware that I was in fact revealing answers to another student.

Also, does this count as cheating as I wasn't the one actually looking at someone elses exam paper?

Plus, what happens if someone gets excluded from a particular exam? Do they get taken out there and then, told they've been disqualified, or find out only on results day?

If you get excluded from a particular exam, you may get a U in the exam, I think.
You may get disquialified :/

Sorry I couldn't be much help.
Reply 2

Chill, they're not stupid.

As long as you're not going out of your way to show someone else your exam paper; you'll be fine.
The invidulator came up to me and said you must keep your paper flat as it another student to my right can see it.

Sorry, what?
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
Chill, they're not stupid.

As long as you're not going out of your way to show someone else your exam paper; you'll be fine.

What do you mean 'going out of your way'?
Reply 5
Original post by UniversityLAD
Sorry, what?

LOL I meant invigilator. You know what I meant! :tongue:
Reply 6
What do you mean 'going out of your way'?

Stretching over as close as possible to another person's table to show your answers.
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum
Stretching over as close as possible to another person's table to show your answers.

Oh okay, thanks
No I really don't think you will be disqualified for that. If you were they would let you know. I can almost bet that you will be fine, honestly. :smile: You did nothing wrong, chill out and good luck for anymore exams that you may be taking!
Reply 9
If you cheat you can have that exam cancelled, all other exams cancelled with that board in theory, but they are still reasonable people, and they understand that sometimes what looks like cheating can just be an unfortunate accident.
Reply 10
They wouldn't report you for that, it's an easy mistake to make. If you do get reported for something, then you get 0 marks, and apparently you can be banned from taking other exams on the same exam board. I was told that by a teacher though, so it may have been a scare tactic.
Reply 11
Original post by Vipz26
In my school if the invigilators find anyone suspisicious they take them out of the exam and talk to them, and then decide whether they will report anything. So if they don't ask you to leave then you should have no worries.

Usually they try to sound really strict and professional, just to make sure that no one does anything like cheat or talk, but they are usually quite safe and understanding.

Could've fooled me :mute:

It's cheating. You'd be disqualified from that exam, and possibly all your others as well.
Hi,

Well why cry over spilt milk? you did ur exam n got through n no one said anything so chill out and relax!
What the hell stop talking a load of rubbish of course you would be disqualified you pathetic coward!

Quick Reply