The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViceVersa

sometimes. though being home isn't great either.

It damn well happens to me. Sometimes it's just easier that way.
Do any of you guys have any good resources about OCD?
I'm wondering how I can go about getting the last few impulsive behaviours out of my head for good, maybe some sort of hypnosis would work?
Original post by WalkerPassingby

Original post by WalkerPassingby
Do any of you guys have any good resources about OCD?
I'm wondering how I can go about getting the last few impulsive behaviours out of my head for good, maybe some sort of hypnosis would work?

No resources here but I know counselling helps. Also it can hell to find ways of distracting yourself (very hard to do) or finding why certain things bother you and tackle those. Sme people can medication but I guess it depends how severe your condition is.
Thank god I found this thread!

Unfortunately, I had to enter the thread, leave it, then enter it again seventeen times before I could post. I know the pain, all.
Reply 124
Original post by philistine

Unfortunately, I had to enter the thread, leave it, then enter it again seventeen times before I could post. I know the pain, all.

Haha welcome finally :tongue:

It is definitely painful :frown:

I do this fear not. Don't think I have OCD though, unless I'm in denial hehe.
Anon or delete :h: i know people on here :erm:

Okay, so my mum keeps saying that i have OCD with germs like my dad does, i don't really think i do. I don't really like people who i know have bad hygiene cooking for me or touching my food. I never share food or drinks, if someone eats a bit of my food or has some of my drink i can't have it anymore if that makes sense. I don't really like using toilets that anyone other than myself uses and always have to wipe the seat (yes, sounds vulgar i know). i Always use the hot tap because not as many people use that.
If someone who is generally quite sweaty or has bad hygiene touches me i feel a bit sick and need to use hand sanitizer on that area. In school i don't always like to touch the desks and hate it if the seat is warm :redface:
There was this one occasion a while back where my dog had worms, i felt physically sick and i would just cry in my room (using hand sanitizer all the time).

After writing everything out it seems more like i may have it. Any opinions would be great :h:
Reply 127
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or delete

Just so you, and everyone else here knows, mods aren't ever allowed to de-anon, so you really don't need to say this. If you post as anon, it stays that way.
Original post by laut_biru
Just so you, and everyone else here knows, mods aren't ever allowed to de-anon, so you really don't need to say this. If you post as anon, it stays that way.

Oooh thanks, i didn't know that. I assumed that because most people write it that the mods have removed the anonymous bit in the past :colondollar:
Reply 129
Oooh thanks, i didn't know that. I assumed that because most people write it that the mods have removed the anonymous bit in the past :colondollar:

Yeah, this is why they don't like people saying it.

Honestly, they get in quite a bit of trouble if they do, but.. they won't. I know two of the mods who mod this section very well, and they're so lovely.
Reply 130
Original post by FruitTwist
In my opinion, it looks very likely. Going to a doctor doesn't always help, but it sometimes can. A mere counsellor and other people to talk to usually suffices. If it gets really bad then you have to see someone and can't just cope with your obsessions or compulsions on your own; you could also take medication or get them to take notice there's a serious problem. I hope you're better today :redface:

Thank you very much for responding. :smile: I think I'm going to see a counsellor when I go back to uni. It's been like this for a while and although I have managed to cope with some obsessions, the majority of the time I can't really stop the obsessing/compulsions.
Reply 131

Original post by fire2burn
x

I have quoted a mod here. Hopefully they'll be able to confirm what Laut rightly said to put everyone at peace.
Original post by Kazbian

Original post by Kazbian
Thank you very much for responding. :smile: I think I'm going to see a counsellor when I go back to uni. It's been like this for a while and although I have managed to cope with some obsessions, the majority of the time I can't really stop the obsessing/compulsions.

Sounds like you definitely have it in my opinion. Hope you keep to that and see a counsellor then, and hope it works out :smile:
Anon or delete :h: i know people on here :erm:

Okay, so my mum keeps saying that i have OCD with germs like my dad does, i don't really think i do. I don't really like people who i know have bad hygiene cooking for me or touching my food. I never share food or drinks, if someone eats a bit of my food or has some of my drink i can't have it anymore if that makes sense. I don't really like using toilets that anyone other than myself uses and always have to wipe the seat (yes, sounds vulgar i know). i Always use the hot tap because not as many people use that.
If someone who is generally quite sweaty or has bad hygiene touches me i feel a bit sick and need to use hand sanitizer on that area. In school i don't always like to touch the desks and hate it if the seat is warm :redface:
There was this one occasion a while back where my dog had worms, i felt physically sick and i would just cry in my room (using hand sanitizer all the time).

After writing everything out it seems more like i may have it. Any opinions would be great :h:

It's funny how that happens, isn't it? You write it all down and come to the realisation it's worse than you initially thought haha. It might be that you have OCD, is it particularly difficult to get these thoughts out of your head? And when you've tried to forget about it, do you still feel anxious and almost obsessed?
Original post by laut_biru

I have quoted a mod here. Hopefully they'll be able to confirm what Laut rightly said to put everyone at peace.

I can confirm that we never de-anon posts :smile:

If any posts are breaking the rules we simply remove them, we wont reveal peoples identities for all to see.
Reply 135
hi OCDers! i have trich (i cant spell the full name, its aka the hair pulling disorder!). been so good for weeks, and just had a mini pull-session on my eyebrow and eyelashes. boo sad now :frown: hopefully ive not gone too mad and i can still wear mascara and it not look gappy. its been lovely having a hairy face haha dont want to go back to my old ways! i look so ridiculous when ive pulled, it really makes a big difference to your face.

hopefully posting about it might kill the urge a bit. gonna check the damage, vaseline my eyes and go to bed... must.not.pull.must.not.pull.

still pulling arghhh stop it! someone tell me to stop, otherwise ill end up looking like a dick. my eyelashes feel irritating and i just want to pull them outtttt. but they look pretty and normal. need to overcome the compulsion and let it pass. so horrible :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by fire2burn
I can confirm that we never de-anon posts :smile:

If any posts are breaking the rules we simply remove them, we wont reveal peoples identities for all to see.

Thanks for confirming and sorry to disturb :h:

Original post by popple7
hi OCDers! i have trich (i cant spell the full name, its aka the hair pulling disorder!). been so good for weeks, and just had a mini pull-session on my eyebrow and eyelashes. boo sad now :frown: hopefully ive not gone too mad and i can still wear mascara and it not look gappy. its been lovely having a hairy face haha dont want to go back to my old ways! i look so ridiculous when ive pulled, it really makes a big difference to your face.

hopefully posting about it might kill the urge a bit. gonna check the damage, vaseline my eyes and go to bed... must.not.pull.must.not.pull.

still pulling arghhh stop it! someone tell me to stop, otherwise ill end up looking like a dick. my eyelashes feel irritating and i just want to pull them outtttt. but they look pretty and normal. need to overcome the compulsion and let it pass. so horrible :frown:

Hi :hello: aww please stop, think about how you'd like your face to look :hugs: Posting will definitely help me thinks :heart:
(edited 12 years ago)
Bad day already..
I hate OCD.
Original post by Rainfaery

Original post by Rainfaery
I hate OCD.

What happened?

Quick Reply

Latest