The Student Room Group

Divorce Rates Are At Worst Ever. Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sephiroth
People like sex. In a marriage you're not meant to be having sex with other people. Thus they get a divorce so they can have sex with other people. Or their divorce is the result of their partner finding out they've been having sex with other people. It's that simple. The divorce rate is rocketing because it's becoming more socially acceptable to be a slut.

I think the best thing to do to prevent divorce would be to ban condoms and close down sexual health clinics. When the best form of protection is to not be a slut then people won't be a slut. They'll start to value sleeping with the same person and lasting marriages will follow.

What I find funny is how most gays are shouting on for gay marriage yet you'd be hard pressed to find a gay who even wants a relationship nevermind a marriage. There should be no debates on the issue until people change their attitudes to relationships, it's a complete waste of tax payer's money.

Original post by Ilyas
Being divorced is the new thang. :wink: It just shouts "Hey, I'm a sex machine with a fat bank balance".

I wish I could get divorved some day.. :daydreaming:

Original post by ras90
Benefits.

Remove walfare, divorce rates decrease.

Wow, this thread has produced some extremely insightful revelations.

So divorce rates are increasing because:
- People like sex
- Being divorced has become some sort of social badge? I... wha... I don't even... what?
- Benefits. Seriously, did the Daily Mail give birth to you or something?
I blame technology - internet and mobile phones.

Nowadays it's much easier to cheat or find someone else, all you need to do is log in.
Reply 22
Original post by Ilyas
Being divorced is the new thang. :wink: It just shouts "Hey, I'm a sex machine with a fat bank balance".

I wish I could get divorved some day.. :daydreaming:

It's the new cool thing ? You wish you could get divorced some day ?

It's people like you that I despise.
Facebook / the ego's which it creates is my guess at one of the reasons
Reply 24
Original post by GirlAllBadGuysWant
I blame technology - internet and mobile phones.

Nowadays it's much easier to cheat or find someone else, all you need to do is log in.

Just to clarify, are you saying technology has contributed because it makes it easier for those people who would already be likely to be unfaithful, or are you blaming technology for tempting people who wouldn't otherwise cheat into cheating because it is accessible?
Reply 25
Original post by arsi123
It's the new cool thing ? You wish you could get divorced some day ?

It's people like you that I despise.

97% certain that was a sarcastic post.

Are you new around here?
Reply 26
Probably due to the relaxed nature upon which divorces are now granted, historically a divorce was taboo, especially in deep Christian Britain. When two marry their vows are solemn and the agreement "til death do us part" is binding, nowadays people care less for religion, statistics have proven that and with the legal system adapting grounds for divorce the rate has risen.
Reply 27
Original post by Kenocide
97% certain that was a sarcastic post.

Are you new around here?

Oops, I didn't catch the sarcasm ( was unsure initially, but decided to take it on word value ). :colondollar:

And nope, not new around here. :colone:
Reply 28
Original post by arsi123
Oops, I didn't catch the sarcasm ( was unsure initially, but decided to take it on word value ). :colondollar:

And nope, not new around here. :colone:

Well there's always the 3% chance I could be wrong. However if that turns out to be the case, I will sadly have to kill myself and find a way of taking the rest of humanity down with me.
Reply 29
Well there's always the 3% chance I could be wrong. However if that turns out to be the case, I will sadly have to kill myself and find a way of taking the rest of humanity down with me.

Same here, mate. It's saddening and despicable.
There are many factors but the decline of religion imo is one of them.

Marriage and family has traditionally been a religious institution, or at least one sanctioned by the church or other religion. People are less religious now and this has gone hand in hand with breakdown of the family structure and divorce.

You can call this bull but if the average guy isn't religious, what's stopping him/her having their cake and eating it IF they think they can? That's the general attitude on the street nowadays: if you can get away with doing X, why not? In fact, you'd be labelled naive if you didn't and probably made fun of. People do do good because they are inclined to, so I'm not saying irreligious people aren't capable of doing good, but if you look at the masses in general, it's one less major deterrent and lack of moral structure. People are generally more selfish today as a result.

Also it's too easy to get married and it's too easy to get divorced.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Wow, this thread has produced some extremely insightful revelations.

So divorce rates are increasing because:
- People like sex
- Being divorced has become some sort of social badge? I... wha... I don't even... what?
- Benefits. Seriously, did the Daily Mail give birth to you or something?

There is simple mathimatical logic to the benefits point.
Reply 32
Original post by Sephiroth
People like sex. In a marriage you're not meant to be having sex with other people. Thus they get a divorce so they can have sex with other people. Or their divorce is the result of their partner finding out they've been having sex with other people. It's that simple. The divorce rate is rocketing because it's becoming more socially acceptable to be a slut.

I think the best thing to do to prevent divorce would be to ban condoms and close down sexual health clinics. When the best form of protection is to not be a slut then people won't be a slut. They'll start to value sleeping with the same person and lasting marriages will follow.

What I find funny is how most gays are shouting on for gay marriage yet you'd be hard pressed to find a gay who even wants a relationship nevermind a marriage. There should be no debates on the issue until people change their attitudes to relationships, it's a complete waste of tax payer's money.

Came in to see if gays would be blamed or in some way brought up by the end of the first page. I wasn't disappointed...post 4!

My favourite part of the topic though was in the OP where divorce was considered in the same worrying group as paedophilia and rape.

Would read again!
Reply 33
Original post by ras90
There is simple mathimatical logic to the benefits point.

Care to elaborate? No one told me the state was paying people to marry and divorce.
Reply 34
Care to elaborate? No one told me the state was paying people to marry and divorce.

With no state to sponge of, people tend to rely on each other for finance more.

Thus meaning that married couples do not divorce as often as they depend on each other financially.

Simple.

Get it?
Greater emphasis on personal freedom, individual purpose in life + emphasis on career?

And as you mentioned, technology is giving people access to more democratic/ western ideals that emphasize the above, and kind of seems to stress the individual too much as well as provide access to sexualised images, dating websites and easy social contact. People seem more likely to reach for their phone/ social websites when they feel lonely rather than reach out to their peers around them sometimes.
Just to clarify, are you saying technology has contributed because it makes it easier for those people who would already be likely to be unfaithful, or are you blaming technology for tempting people who wouldn't otherwise cheat into cheating because it is accessible?

Both :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by ras90
With no state to sponge of, people tend to rely on each other for finance more.

Thus meaning that married couples do not divorce as often as they depend on each other financially.

Simple.

Get it?

So you're suggesting that now, with a state to "sponge of" [sic], people don't need the money their spouse would otherwise provide?

OK two slight problems I have with that:
- Are you really implying that the main factor in deciding whether or not to get a divorce is money?
- We're kind of in this worldwide economic crisis. Suggesting that people at present are more willing to get divorced because they don't need the money during an economic crisis seems kind of stupid when all the evidence points to the contrary.
Reply 38
Original post by GirlAllBadGuysWant
Both :smile:

Well I agree that technology allows cheaters to do the dirty much more easily (although it also makes it easier for them to get caught too in my limited experience) but I reject the argument that the technology somehow encourages or tempts people to cheat.

You and you alone are responsible for your actions. The technology is neither inherently good nor evil - it is what you make of it. If you use the technology to cheat on your spouse, the technology is not to blame, you are.
Marriage is stupid and archaic. I mean, if you want to get married, go ahead if it makes you happy and fulfiled. I personally don't think it makes a relationship anymore secure or meaningful. The fact so many get divorced is testament to that.

If two adults are going to create a child then abandon their responsibilities a little while down the line, they're going to do that. A piece of paper and a flamboyant showmance event isn't going to fix that. Marriage, as it has been for a long time now, is about upholding tradition. Its got nothing to do with being a stable family unit. And saying it does doesn't make it anymore true.

Its the people that make a family a secure unit. Not a piece of paper, a big dress or a priest.

Quick Reply

Latest