The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Nope.
definitely
Tuppenny
I would like to say no, but I once served what I thought was a woman in a shop, and when she spoke in a mans voice it did actually make me jump a little bit. In principle it doesn't bother me at all, but sometimes it takes a moment to adjust.

I know what you mean. I got a Thai massage in Koh Tao from who I thought was a typical Thai girl - small, very slender, boobs, feminine face. Yet when she spoke, it was in a male voice. Her adam's apple didn't look any bigger than a typical girl's, she had small hands, in fact she looked female in every single way I could see. Most peculiar. But I had no problems with it, I was just a little startled by the juxtposition of physical appearance and voice.
Isabobble
Er, so they don't have to wake up every morning and look in the mirror and see someone who is nothing like the person they feel like they should be? So people can hopefully look beyond their occasionally too obvious male features and treat them as they feel they should be treated? Sometimes it's not about passing as a 'genetic woman', but instead seeking recognition as their 'true' gender. (Same for FtM obviously).

Sorry for the rant, just, touchy subject :rolleyes:...

some men who go through the change do look like a female after they have gone through the whole process and you wouldn't be able to tell that they were previously a male

however there are also some men who still look like men even though they have been through the process had implants, got bits removed/reshaped whatever etc, they look like they are in drag so how can they see themselves differently if they don't look like a female
FormerlyHistoryStudent
I know what you mean. I got a Thai massage in Koh Tao from who I thought was a typical Thai girl - small, very slender, boobs, feminine face. Yet when she spoke, it was in a male voice. Her adam's apple didn't look any bigger than a typical girl's, she had small hands, in fact she looked female in every single way I could see. Most peculiar. But I had no problems with it, I was just a little startled by the juxtposition of physical appearance and voice.

This is exactly it. I don't have any problem with transgender people, but if someone doesn't act in the way you expect them to, it is a bit of surprise, and I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't happen.
scorpion95
some men who go through the change do look like a female after they have gone through the whole process and you wouldn't be able to tell that they were previously a male

however there are also some men who still look like men even though they have been through the process had implants, got bits removed/reshaped whatever etc, they look like they are in drag so how can they see themselves differently if they don't look like a female

But that's my point, it's not so much about how you LOOK, but the very act of presenting yourself as female, i.e. feminine clothing/mannerisms, is what can be the biggest help to them. Do you think they're HAPPY that they will never blend in as 'normal' women?! It's not as though they just haven't tried hard enough or anything, it must be absolutely horrible to know you'll never have someone look at you without 'realising'.

I know, because one of my best friends used to talk to me every night, in a state of horrible upset, about how he couldn't be who he felt as though he needed to be because he was worried he would never be accepted. He was terrified that because he would always look sorta blokey, his family wouldn't want to know him, and nobody would regard him as female. It was really heartbreaking, especially as I knew that some people do have that attitude, so I couldn't say 'no that's a silly thing to worry about'.

Tl;dr - it's not about how they look, it's about how they're treated and accepted by society.

EDIT: But I do understand people being visibly surprised by juxtaposition of face/voice/whatever. That's normal and I probably do it too lol. It's just when people don't move on from that initial ':lolwut:' that I think it's a bit rude.
Reply 106
Not really but then I know one or two personally. Like anyone who looks unusual for whatever reason (eg. weird birthmark, visable disability, not quite all of the way through a sex change), it's not that surprising or outrageous to be a bit curious about someone and stare at them a bit at first but you know, everyone's getting more tolerant. I defy you not to stare at someone who has a MOLE on their face, no matter how polite you are.
Reply 107
Workforce
Yeh because the bible mentions nothing about transexuals therefore its illegal

Because religion definitely defines what is legal...... :rolleyes:
Reply 108
0w3n-69

Will rep tomorrow.

If I remember. :awesome:
I would be kinda freaked out
They don't freak me out, but I do often feel sorry for them. I just wish they could be happy in their own skin, you know?
In theory, no, but I can't help doing double-takes when I see a woman who is very obviously a man. It doesn't freak me out though, it's just a bit unusual.
Reply 112
Devel
Will rep tomorrow.

If I remember. :awesome:

Ah, thank you! Will be very much appreciated! :yep:
Reply 113
no, not at all. they're only human after all :smile:

course i would be friends with one!

Latest

Trending

Trending