The Student Room Group

Cambridge Applicants for 2013 Entry

As the thread for 2012 applicants was created at about this time last year (and the Oxford sub-forum has one too :wink: ), I figured it was about time somebody set up a thread for 2013 applicants. :smile:

Obviously some of us will be waiting to find out AS UMS scores before committing (me included), but I thought it might be good to use the thread as a place to gain motivation and chat with other prospective applicants.

If you wish to be added to the Cambridge Applicants for 2013 Stalking Page, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the list when I get the chance. If you feel comfortable with the wiki editing format, by all means add yourself to the table.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kidioteque
The Oxford sub-forum has one, so I figured it was about time we did too. :wink:

Obviously some of us will be waiting to find out AS UMS scores before committing (me included), but I thought it might be good to use the thread as a place to gain motivation and chat with other prospective applicants.

Might also be useful to list any relevant details:

Course: Law
AS Levels: English Literature, Maths, History, Economics (& Critical Thinking & EPQ).
Academics: 8A,* 1A, 1 Distinction* and 1 Distinction at GCSE; predicted 5 As at AS.
Colleges being considered: Pembroke, Jesus, Queens', Emma.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

A bit early don't ya think? :tongue:

And how can you not be considering Clare College?

Good luck though, I think you've got a great chance of getting in :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by AK0001
A bit early don't ya think? :tongue:

And how can you not be considering Clare College?

Good luck though, I think you've got a great chance of getting in :smile:.

Hmm I thought that, but Oxford's one seems to be thriving, and last year's Cambridge thread started in early March :tongue: But if the Oxbridge mod reckons it's too early, feel free to close the thread and we'll revive it in Summer!

Haha, my reason for not considering Clare is that my cousin got in this year and I don't want to cramp her style! :lol:

Also - thank you - I've got my fingers crossed. Are you a current student?
(edited 12 years ago)
The Oxford sub-forum has one, so I figured it was about time we did too. :wink:

Might also be useful to list any relevant details:

Course: Law
AS Levels: English Literature, Maths, History, Economics (& Critical Thinking & EPQ).
Academics: 8A,* 1A, 1 Distinction* and 1 Distinction at GCSE; predicted 5 As at AS.
Colleges being considered: Pembroke, Jesus, Queens', Emma.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Finally! Ah, I mean, how very early.

I've actually been in the Oxford thread as well (I'm duplicit like that) because I'm still dithering, but assuming my exams go to plan it'll probably be English I apply for rather than History, and at Cambridge. I'm going to visit in a few weeks but Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own has made me fall in love with Newnham already. I'm still debating though, would love to hear from anyone at Newnham/doing English! I'll be looking at Clare and Pembroke as well I think.

Course: English Literature
AS: English Lit, History, Maths, Latin, Critical Thinking, Further Maths (over two years) and AQA Bacc if I ever finish it. :rolleyes:
Academics: 10A*s at GCSE; no predictions at my school as yet for AS!

We're doing quite similar A-levels Kidioteque! Which boards are you on? I did think about straight Law but now I'm only considering the conversion. I'd be too scared to jump straight into it, I think, since I'm not sure it's for me.
Hi there!

Course: Economics

AS: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Latin.
Academics: 9A*s 2 As at GCSE, A in the FSMQ, straight A predictions for AS and an A* prediction for A2 Maths.

I haven't taken a look at many colleges but I think I'm going to apply to Cambridge, though I'm doubtful I'll get in.
Reply 5
Original post by SixteenHundred
Finally! Ah, I mean, how very early.

I've actually been in the Oxford thread as well (I'm duplicit like that) because I'm still dithering, but assuming my exams go to plan it'll probably be English I apply for rather than History, and at Cambridge. I'm going to visit in a few weeks but Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own has made me fall in love with Newnham already. I'm still debating though, would love to hear from anyone at Newnham/doing English! I'll be looking at Clare and Pembroke as well I think.

Course: English Literature
AS: English Lit, History, Maths, Latin, Critical Thinking, Further Maths (over two years) and AQA Bacc if I ever finish it. :rolleyes:
Academics: 10A*s at GCSE; no predictions at my school as yet for AS!

We're doing quite similar A-levels Kidioteque! Which boards are you on? I did think about straight Law but now I'm only considering the conversion. I'd be too scared to jump straight into it, I think, since I'm not sure it's for me.

Haha, it seems we are indeed very similar - I too have been poking around on the Oxford thread! :tongue: If I get strong enough UMS, I'll definitely be opting for Cambridge, though.

Ah ace - my cousin stayed at Newnham on a residential course last year and said it was lovely. The only reason she didn't apply there in the end was because she wanted a mixed college.

I certainly respect you for wanting to do English - I'll be dropping it for A2 quicker than you can say 'anthropomorphic'. :lol:

RE boards: Edexcel for Maths and Economics, AQA for History and English Lit, and OCR for Critical Thinking. What about you?
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Hi there!

Academics: 9A*s 2 As at GCSE, A in the FSMQ, straight A predictions for AS and an A* prediction for A2 Maths.

I haven't taken a look at many colleges but I think I'm going to apply to Cambridge, though I'm doubtful I'll get in.

High five for Latin and Maths! They fit together quite well, I think. Are you doing Amores 3 and Cicero's In Verrem?
Reply 7
Hi there!

Long time no speak ALVB - hope you are well!
Reply 8
Hmm I thought that, but Oxford's one seems to be thriving, and last year's Cambridge thread started in early March :tongue: But if the Oxbridge mod reckons it's too early, feel free to close the thread and we'll revive it in Summer!

Haha, my reason for not considering Clare is that my cousin got in this year and I don't want to cramp her style! :lol:

Also - thank you - I've got my fingers crossed. Are you a current student?

Fair enough! So long as you motivate one another, and help each other out, there's no harm in having an early-ish thread!

Oh that explains it then! Congratulations to her, which subject is hoping to read?

I'm not a current student, I'm a hopeful, in a similar situation to your cousin :smile:.
Hello.

I got 5A*s and 3Bs and a few btec's and OCR nationals at GCSE.
I'm doing double maths and triple science, although i will probably drop biology or chemistry at A2. I am predicted 5 A's at AS, and for A2 I am predicted 2A*s in maths and further maths. Is anyone thinking about going to the maths open day on the 28th April or the 12th May?
Haha, it seems we are indeed very similar - I too have been poking around on the Oxford thread! :tongue: If I get strong enough UMS, I'll definitely be opting for Cambridge, though.

Ah ace - my cousin stayed at Newnham on a residential course last year and said it was lovely. The only reason she didn't apply there in the end was because she wanted a mixed college.

I certainly respect you for wanting to do English - I'll be dropping it for A2 quicker than you can say 'anthropomorphic'. :lol:

RE boards: Edexcel for Maths and Economics, AQA for History and English Lit, and OCR for Critical Thinking. What about you?

We're so traitorous already! Yes, I'm worried about the UMS.

Oh that's awesome! What subject did your cousin apply for? Newnham looks so beautiful. I go to a mixed school at the moment but I'm really not bothered about an all-female college if it seems right for me.

So same board for Maths and History then, not that that means much for History as the module choice is so wide. Have you taken any Maths modules already? I'm on OCR for English Lit, but I've heard the AQA course is really vague from my friend at another college.
High five for Latin and Maths! They fit together quite well, I think. Are you doing Amores 3 and Cicero's In Verrem?

High five! Even though I'm not sure I see how they go together at all...
That's what I'm doing - it's pretty interesting. Ovid's a very witty poet.
High five! Even though I'm not sure I see how they go together at all...
That's what I'm doing - it's pretty interesting. Ovid's a very witty poet.

Really? Maybe it's because I do essay subjects otherwise... I just find they both require a problem-solving approach, especially in prose composition.

I don't think it's the best of the Amores though. My favourite's 3.4, where he argues against a guard and ends up encouraging the husband to appreciate adultery. :rofl: Ovid is so much more self-deprecating and cynical than I thought he'd be! Not as flamboyant as Cicero, oddly, at least in the later poems. Everything's quite detached. And is 3.5 (the dream one) written by Ovid or not, do you think? :colone:

Sorry for the barrage of classical stuff! There are very few people who take it at my school. More course-related: what made you want to apply for Economics? Much respect to you for it! Even the economics which we study in History, in the Tudor period, scares me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Selling first page post
Reply 14
Original post by AK0001
Fair enough! So long as you motivate one another, and help each other out, there's no harm in having an early-ish thread!

Oh that explains it then! Congratulations to her, which subject is hoping to read?

I'm not a current student, I'm a hopeful, in a similar situation to your cousin :smile:.

Law! Ah ace, congratulations. What are you holding an offer for?

If by some miracle I do get in, I'll be using her for notes on the course modules, I'm sure. :colone:

Original post by brittanna
Hello.

I got 5A*s and 3Bs and a few btec's and OCR nationals at GCSE.
I'm doing double maths and triple science, although i will probably drop biology or chemistry at A2. I am predicted 5 A's at AS, and for A2 I am predicted 2A*s in maths and further maths. Is anyone thinking about going to the maths open day on the 28th April or the 12th May?

:hello:

We're so traitorous already! Yes, I'm worried about the UMS.

Oh that's awesome! What subject did your cousin apply for? Newnham looks so beautiful. I go to a mixed school at the moment but I'm really not bothered about an all-female college if it seems right for me.

So same board for Maths and History then, not that that means much for History as the module choice is so wide. Have you taken any Maths modules already? I'm on OCR for English Lit, but I've heard the AQA course is really vague from my friend at another college.

Hahaha, not traitorous - we are simply spying on the enemy :wink: Wolves in sheep's clothing, one might say... :lol:

Law - so I have the added pressure of trying to live up to her! Fair enough, you'd mix with guys at social events and so on, so I'm sure it's not a big deal at all.

We're doing 1H (Tsarist Russia) and 2Q (Vietnam) for History - which are you doing? No, sadly I have three Maths mods in Summer! Thankfully they're spaced out a bit, though. I really not enjoying the English course, but I think it might be down to the books which my school chose: The World's Wife (Duffy), The Color Purple (Walker) and Top Girls (Churchill), to name but a few texts.
Hahaha, not traitorous - we are simply spying on the enemy :wink: Wolves in sheep's clothing, one might say... :lol:

Law - so I have the added pressure of trying to live up to her! Fair enough, you'd mix with guys at social events and so on, so I'm sure it's not a big deal at all.

We're doing 1H (Tsarist Russia) and 2Q (Vietnam) for History - which are you doing? No, sadly I have three Maths mods in Summer! Thankfully they're spaced out a bit, though. I really not enjoying the English course, but I think it might be down to the books which my school chose: The World's Wife (Duffy), The Color Purple (Walker) and Top Girls (Churchill), to name but a few texts.

Indeed, they'll never know what hit 'em. :ninja:

That must be very competitive then! I'm the first of my generation in the family to be thinking about applying for Oxbridge, so I suppose less pressure but you have a great resource for advice on applying!

Oh, now I have to struggle to remember the module numbers... hmm, 1C (European Reformation) and 2B, I think (Struggle for Supremacy, or in ordinary terms, English Reformation 1529-1547). So that means lots of people getting beheaded and so on, which is always rather fun. I'll miss History a lot, but I feel like English and History aren't mutually exclusive so if I naturally gravitate towards one I won't necessarily abandon the other forever! Strangely enough, your modules are very similar to the two periods I studied for GCSE. Loved Tsarist Russia in particular, although the politics of Vietnam were very interesting.

Hmm, I only know The World's Wife well of those. We've done literature of the Great War, which my teacher likes so he can show off his historical knowledge as well as anything else! And then Yeats and The Picture of Dorian Gray, so a deluge of Irish literature. I was already into fin-de-siecle and the Gothic novels so I lucked out with Wilde in particular. I think it's sad that it really depends with English Literature at A-level on your teacher's whim as to what you get to study in depth. I would've loved to do some Eliot - struggling through The Waste Land on my own with very little experience of poetry, although Yeats is a good starting point because he dabbles in lots of areas, is pretty hard-going at the moment!

How are you preparing for Law? Do you have anyone (other than your cousin, in the near future I suppose!) in your family who's a lawyer, or are you pursuing it on your own?
Reply 16
Law! Ah ace, congratulations. What are you holding an offer for?

If by some miracle I do get in, I'll be using her for notes on the course modules, I'm sure. :colone:

Ah awesome, I'm law at Clare too :smile:.

As long as you're staying on top of some current legal issues, and you're comfortable talking to adults about ideas and issues in a critical manner, you'll do fine. Oh and don't let the interviewers put you off, one of mine was a bit strange.

Haha you're lucky!
Really? Maybe it's because I do essay subjects otherwise... I just find they both require a problem-solving approach, especially in prose composition.

I don't think it's the best of the Amores though. My favourite's 3.4, where he argues against a guard and ends up encouraging the husband to appreciate adultery. :rofl: Ovid is so much more self-deprecating and cynical than I thought he'd be! Not as flamboyant as Cicero, oddly, at least in the later poems. Everything's quite detached. And is 3.5 (the dream one) written by Ovid or not, do you think? :colone:

Sorry for the barrage of classical stuff! There are very few people who take it at my school. More course-related: what made you want to apply for Economics? Much respect to you for it! Even the economics which we study in History, in the Tudor period, scares me.

In all honesty my favourite of the Amores is actually 3.2 - his wit shines in that one. That's an interesting idea! It is very discordant with the theme and style of his earlier poems, but I think he's simply revealing a deeper side to himself, and as such we are seeing the "real Ovid" behind the humorous and cynical facade. However. I've also thought on occasion that this could also be for a new type of comic effect, a sort of inside joke between Ovid and the group of literary peers he was writing for.

I've always been interested in Economics, and I think I'd make a good economist/actuary/banker. I also want to earn a lot of money doing something that I love, so this seems like the correct next step for me.
Reply 18
Original post by AK0001
Ah awesome, I'm law at Clare too :smile:.

As long as you're staying on top of some current legal issues, and you're comfortable talking to adults about ideas and issues in a critical manner, you'll do fine. Oh and don't let the interviewers put you off, one of mine was a bit strange.

Haha you're lucky!

Ah great, hopefully you two will become friends aha :smile:

Cheers - I'd like to think that I am currently doing all those things anyway, but I will make sure to remain consistent with it :smile:

On the topic of interviewers: I don't suppose one of yours happened to be dressed as a wizard, or something similar? Something my cousin mentioned. :lol:
Maths. Taking maths / further maths / physics / music / Japanese.

Hopefully applying to King's. Cocked up my M1 exam a little bit though.