The Student Room Group

What's the best way to get A's in your AS?

I try so hard to revise everything using different techniques, but the highest i ever get is either a borderline B or a C.

Can anyone give me tips on how i can get myself up to an A in my subjects before the exam season starts! Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 1
okay, first of all you need to set goals... be determined.. revise wisely.. do all the past papers.. do them again... give tests to your self and make sure you do not cheat :P

and for revising find out in which way you learn most effectively.. for some people it's skim reading. for some people it's loud reading and others they record and listen to their lessons while others write and learn...

wish you luck now
Reply 2
Original post by shereez234
okay, first of all you need to set goals... be determined.. revise wisely.. do all the past papers.. do them again... give tests to your self and make sure you do not cheat :P

and for revising find out in which way you learn most effectively.. for some people it's skim reading. for some people it's loud reading and others they record and listen to their lessons while others write and learn...

wish you luck now

Thank you! :smile:
The way you'll do it will depend as to whether you're doing sciences or humanities. If you're doing sciences you want to start of doing subject knowledge for the first few months, you don't need to know it all inside out, then you want to go onto past papers, do all the ones you can get your hands on. Then just before the exams do flash cards etc. to top up your knowledge.

Can't give you much help with humanities though, sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by Dimples18
Thank you! :smile:

Always a pleasure
try recording yourself too, it helps .. ALOT. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by thirstysailor
The way you'll do it will depend as to whether you're doing sciences or humanities. If you're doing sciences you want to start of doing subject knowledge for the first few months, you don't need to know it all inside out, then you want to go onto past papers, do all the ones you can get your hands on. Then just before the exams do flash cards etc. to top up your knowledge.

Can't give you much help with humanities though, sorry.

Cheers :smile: Its fine im doing bio chem, psychology &sport
Reply 7
Original post by Dimples18
I try so hard to revise everything using different techniques, but the highest i ever get is either a borderline B or a C.

Can anyone give me tips on how i can get myself up to an A in my subjects before the exam season starts! Cheers :biggrin:

Others have offered some good advice.
Have you tried making your own questions ans answering them? Just take a scrap paper and quickly make about 10 questions taking roughly about 5, 10 minutes.

Also, apart from doing past paper, another important aspect is to study the mark schemes. This way you will know what the style of answers should be.

There isn't a such thing as my potential is only a B or C. When you get the grip of it, even A* is possible. No one is smart or dumb unless their actions make them so. You seem to be clearly determined and I wish you Good Luck :smile:
Reply 8
To be honest there is smart and dumb, I know people who can do 200+ hours revision on a subject and pull a B and on the other side of the spectrum people with no revision who get A's
Reply 9
Original post by Turthman
Others have offered some good advice.
Have you tried making your own questions ans answering them? Just take a scrap paper and quickly make about 10 questions taking roughly about 5, 10 minutes.

Also, apart from doing past paper, another important aspect is to study the mark schemes. This way you will know what the style of answers should be.

There isn't a such thing as my potential is only a B or C. When you get the grip of it, even A* is possible. No one is smart or dumb unless their actions make them so. You seem to be clearly determined and I wish you Good Luck :smile:

Thank you will try it out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest