The Student Room Group

C1, OCR MEI - 16/05/12 (Answers)

Hey, this is what i got for C1 MEI today.

any discussion/corrections are welcome!

1. y=-2x+7 and (0,7) and (7/2,0)

2. = SQRT(3a/2c)

3. i) 25
ii) 4/9

4. (x-3)/(x+2)

5. i) 30
ii) 8/11

6. i) 10
ii) -720 (x^3)

7. -SQRT(5) < K < SQRT(5)

8. b= -4 c= -8

9. 6n+9 Show that it is always odd and n must be a multiple of 3 for (6n+9)/9

10.i) SQRT(20) = SQRT(20) QED
ii)1/3 * -3 = -1 QED
iii) Midpoint AC: (2,2) Found they intersect at (2,2) and not (5,3)

11.i) 2x^3 - 5x^2 - 23x - 10
ii) Cubic graph drawn correct way up passing through -2, -0.5 and 5
iii) (0,-18)
iv) (0,-40)

12.i) (4,1) (2.6,-2.6) (0.4,-0.4) give or take 0.1 ish
ii)Showed
iii) x= (3+SQRT(5))/2 and (3-SQRT(5))/2
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mate your question 8 is wrong. It was b = -4, c = -8.
Reply 2
Original post by Axion
Mate your question 8 is wrong. It was b = -4, c = -8.

Yes, sorry i forgot to make the second equation equal to 85 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jack:)
Yes, sorry i forgot to make the second equation equal to 85 :smile:

lol you remember all of that?
Reply 4
Original post by Axion
lol you remember all of that?

Yep, it’s a shame my pre-exam memory is not that good!
Oh well, it’s only 3 marks tops and hopefully i get a nice examiner and i get a mark for knowing to use simultaneous equations.
Reply 5
Yep, it’s a shame my pre-exam memory is not that good!
Oh well, it’s only 3 marks tops and hopefully i get a nice examiner and i get a mark for knowing to use simultaneous equations.

Don't worry I know I've lost about 7-8 marks already from stupid mistakes
Reply 6
Original post by Axion
Don't worry I know I've lost about 7-8 marks already from stupid mistakes

Thats the biggest problem with C1, its so easy to make mistakes, i am thinking that the grade boundries will be quite high tho, 60 for an A
Reply 7
Thats the biggest problem with C1, its so easy to make mistakes, i am thinking that the grade boundries will be quite high tho, 60 for an A

For the first one, do we need to write the coordinates of the point where it crosses the axis? I didn't see that -3 from me .:frown:
Reply 8
HA just got so worried because I didn't recognise ANY answers.. I don't do MEI! :biggrin:
Reply 9
So much love for this. Thank you ever so much
How can you remember all this, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 11
Original post by steven hawking
How can you remember all this, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Looks at username...

Lol
Original post by tehforum
Looks at username...

Lol

What about it?
Reply 13
I have an issue with your question 11, if you take the original factorised form of (x+1/2)(x+2)(x-5) then the y intercept would be -5 not -10. I put the equations 2x^3 -5x^2 -23x -10 and the expanded form of the factorised equation into autograph and they aren't the same. So to get from the factorised equation to one with a coefficient of 2, you can't just double everything or I believe you get a false y intercept (but no idea how you actually get there).

So if I'm correct, the answer for the y intercept of f(x) -8 is (0, -13) and the answer to f(x-3) is -20?
Reply 14
Oh and 11ii was to draw the graph of f(x) :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Stephybob
I have an issue with your question 11, if you take the original factorised form of (x+1/2)(x+2)(x-5) then the y intercept would be -5 not -10. I put the equations 2x^3 -5x^2 -23x -10 and the expanded form of the factorised equation into autograph and they aren't the same. So to get from the factorised equation to one with a coefficient of 2, you can't just double everything or I believe you get a false y intercept (but no idea how you actually get there).

So if I'm correct, the answer for the y intercept of f(x) -8 is (0, -13) and the answer to f(x-3) is -20?

If i'm not mistaken they asked us to put the original factorised form into the form which starts 2x^3 and then to solve from there, so I think the answer's -40 as a result..

Hope it helps
Reply 16
grade boundaries for an A?
how did everyone find it
Reply 17
Original post by Stephybob
Oh and 11ii was to draw the graph of f(x) :smile:

Ty will add that in,
Reply 18
Original post by thesaintx
If i'm not mistaken they asked us to put the original factorised form into the form which starts 2x^3 and then to solve from there, so I think the answer's -40 as a result..

Hope it helps

Hmm you're probably right but seeing as both are f(x) then it shouldn't matter which one you use if they equal the same thing? As both should give the same y intercept? Unless they wanted us to find g(x) or something which has the same roots as f(x) but a different intercept?
Reply 19
Original post by cloudhang
grade boundaries for an A?
how did everyone find it

Judging on previous papers my geuss would be 63 Max and 58 Min but personally im thinking around 61. Of course it is hard to tell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending