The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM 1 (unofficial) Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why is it thermal cracking? I thought it was an Alkane?
Reply 21
guys what grade is 36??
For the PV/NRT question I rounded up some answers throughout the process to three significant figures, I got the process right but ended up getting something 2.17g instead of 2.78 due to where I'd rounded up. Will they penalise me for doing this?
Reply 23
Kocker could you upload the paper please?
Original post by Mojojojo
Why is it thermal cracking? I thought it was an Alkane?

It referred to X which was an alkene (which is made by thermal cracking) :smile:
Reply 25
what is 36?? what grade is that
thats like a D
Reply 27
Original post by sososososxc
thats like a D

oh peak what did you get?
Reply 28
For 2)d)i)

Do you think they would accept HCl as one of the other answers on the offical markscheme? :smile:
Original post by MediterraneanX
For the PV/NRT question I rounded up some answers throughout the process to three significant figures, I got the process right but ended up getting something 2.17g instead of 2.78 due to where I'd rounded up. Will they penalise me for doing this?

Ooh that is quite a bit off, so you'll probably get 3/5 i think..
Original post by Aftab888
For 2)d)i)

Do you think they would accept HCl as one of the other answers on the offical markscheme? :smile:

I don't think so - if you added HCl to that alkene, you would not have produced the alkane drawn, you would have made a haloalkane instead

I think I've done pretty well. I put catalytic cracking where I should have put thermal cracking so there's one gone. Can see a couple of other marks I'm pretty sure I've lost, but overall it went well :smile: Since that was a resit after last summer, I'm feeling quite relieved now!
I think I've done better than I did in January, but it's nowhere near what I need for the unis I want to apply to. Just have to hope I do better on unit 2, and that my ISA mark pulls them up. D:
Reply 32
Original post by Mystic Creature
I wrote neutralisation instead of flue gas desulfurisation..hopefully they give the mark! :smile:

Thanks for this btw

i didnt have a CLUE for this one (luckly alread have a low A in it though) - so i wrote...... sepearation :rolleyes:
Reply 33
for q.2 ii) i put down
Rb+(g) --> Rb(g) + e-
:frown:
Reply 34
made some silly mistakes :/ and surely saying just 'ionic' for 4d is wrong as it asks for the the crystaline structure so surely it would be giant ionic lattice?
Reply 35
I wrote for question 5d that you could separate the HCl made back into hydrogen and chlorine and use hydrogen within the reaction again as the reagent.. Would that be acceptable?
Original post by samedi_
I wrote for question 5d that you could separate the HCl made back into hydrogen and chlorine and use hydrogen within the reaction again as the reagent.. Would that be acceptable?

This isn't a recognised use of HCl, but you seem to have the right idea. Selling HCl, using it to make hydrochloric acid etc. will all score here, but I'm not sure that your answer will.
Original post by cuckoo99
made some silly mistakes :/ and surely saying just 'ionic' for 4d is wrong as it asks for the the crystaline structure so surely it would be giant ionic lattice?

Ionic will be fine.
I did really crap in that exam.what do you think the grade boundries are guna be for the chem 1 exam?
What was the grade boundries last year???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending