The Student Room Group

Biology Unit 3 Monday 21st May GCSE

Hellooo!!

I haven't seen a thread about this exam yet and so was just wondering how everyone's feeling about it and how you all have been preparing! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Worried! Anyone have any clue on topics that are likely to come up?
Reply 2
no idea :frown: past papers all the way (y)
Reply 3
im soooooooo happy :biggrin:

we finsihed our course in november and we have been doing past papers since and i am ever so confident that i will get an a* with my eyes clossseeed soooooo happy any 1 want my revision notes reply b.t.w i only need 70 ms to get overall a in bio so im chilllin:smile::biggrin::wink::o:E
Reply 4
Original post by Laura2665
Worried! Anyone have any clue on topics that are likely to come up?

Fermenter will defo come up
that question on breathing and how it goes around in body
diffusion#'+osmosis'+active transport
kidneys+nephrology
alveoli 3 factors
how science works
nd a killler question to get us all down
Reply 5
Original post by umar ali

we finsihed our course in november and we have been doing past papers since and i am ever so confident that i will get an a* with my eyes clossseeed soooooo happy any 1 want my revision notes reply b.t.w i only need 70 ms to get overall a in bio so im chilllin:smile::biggrin::wink::o:E

you're so lucky! my teacher was awful and we only finished the unit like two weeks ago.. please could you post your notes up, im so worried D;
Reply 6

please could i see some of your revision notes, i am in desperate need, thanks so much!
Reply 7
Does anyone think that this paper is going to be like the killer January 2012 B2 paper? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
It's going good :smile:
Just want to finish it already :biggrin:
Reply 9

OMG :eek: your soooo lucky- what school do you go to lol because I might just have to move. Its less than a week till the exam on monday and my bio teacher STILL hasnt finished teaching us everything! --> so we're being taken out of lesson all day on Friday so hopefully he can finish *fingers crossed!
Reply 10

Wow, you finished the course really early! We finished it 2 or 3 weeks before Easter and I thought we were well on track :') Ooh and revision notes would be great thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by NinaaFish
you're so lucky! my teacher was awful and we only finished the unit like two weeks ago.. please could you post your notes up, im so worried D;

I have the physics unit 3 in less than two weeks and our teacher didn't even finish the course, we've had to read about and learn transformers and stuff all on our own :| :frown:
Reply 12
so scared, I got a B for my biology unit 1, does that mean I can't get an A* overall even if I get an A* in B" and B3? :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by lbtb28
so scared, I got a B for my biology unit 1, does that mean I can't get an A* overall even if I get an A* in B" and B3? :frown:

You can still get an A* overall - you need a total of 360/400 UMS for an A*.
If you got 70 UMS in B1 then you need a further 290 out of the remaining 300 available UMS marks between B2, B3 and your ISA for an A* overall. So if you don't lose more than 10 UMS in total between B2, B3 and whatever you got in your ISA (e.g. 90, 100, 100 or 95, 95, 100 or 97, 95, 98 etc.) then you can get an A* overall.
Reply 14
I find B3 pretty simple but i always forget the production of stuff using microorganisms i.e. beer, yoghurt, biogas
Microbiology... :angry:
So nervous, hope it won't be too hard....:s-smilie:
Reply 17
Finding it alright.. Didn't think the Jan 2012 one was too bad?
Have a question though.. In the AQA biology textbook in the section about the alveoli, it lists the different factors which are beneficial for diffusion and having a moist surface which aids with diffusing the oxygen.
I did a practise paper, after learning it all, and when a question came up about the alveoli, one of the points I put was that it has a moist surface. In the mark scheme, though, it specifically said 'reject moist surface.'
Why are AQA putting things in their textbooks if they then reject it in the exam?!
Original post by hines
Finding it alright.. Didn't think the Jan 2012 one was too bad?
Have a question though.. In the AQA biology textbook in the section about the alveoli, it lists the different factors which are beneficial for diffusion and having a moist surface which aids with diffusing the oxygen.
I did a practise paper, after learning it all, and when a question came up about the alveoli, one of the points I put was that it has a moist surface. In the mark scheme, though, it specifically said 'reject moist surface.'
Why are AQA putting things in their textbooks if they then reject it in the exam?!

Because the question wanted you to use the diagram for your answer, you cannot tell from the diagram that the alveoli are moist.
Reply 19
Ah okay! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest