The Student Room Group

Slangs in job interview

I don't mean the street slangs but words like 'wanna'; 'gonna', 'yep' and 'yeh'. Are these ok to use in a job interview or defo no no. I just did and a bit worried i won't be considered at all for the job.
Reply 1
If the job is chief monocle polisher at the Ritz then no, probably not.

If it's for a typical student or graduate job then as long as you didn't go nuts with it then you'll be fine. I mean it's just how people speak.
Reply 2
Shouldn't that be 'slang'?
Reply 3
Or you could always brush up on your grammar beforehand?
Reply 4
Original post by yothi5
Or you could always brush up on your grammar beforehand?

Thanks for the advise. I would put that at the back of my mind next time.:rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by Norton1
If the job is chief monocle polisher at the Ritz then no, probably not.

If it's for a typical student or graduate job then as long as you didn't go nuts with it then you'll be fine. I mean it's just how people speak.

It's a graduate job. And they did not seem to care about it though.
Reply 6
Original post by becknise

Well if they didn't seem to care about it why worry? If you've got to an interview then you will at least be considered for the job.
I don't mean the street slangs but words like 'wanna'; 'gonna', 'yep' and 'yeh'. Are these ok to use in a job interview or defo no no. I just did and a bit worried i won't be considered at all for the job.

It's not likely to be popular with employers if you are applying for a customer facing role. Probably less of an issue if you are working behind the scenes.
Reply 8

Thanks for the advise. I would put that at the back of my mind next time.:rolleyes:

'Slangs'.

Eugh. What the **** is going on?
Reply 9

Which company and which role? It'll depend a lot on the interviewer of course, but generally some large corporate companies are likely to look down on that kind of language whereas small innovative companies may not. This is totally unsubstantiated and a massive generalisation, but in my mind a big finance company will think you sound moronic whereas a small marketing company will probably value your individualism.
Reply 10
Original post by Norton1
Well if they didn't seem to care about it why worry? If you've got to an interview then you will at least be considered for the job.

Interviewers never let on if they care about something. They just smile, nod, and take notes. The good ones do anyway!
Original post by ForKicks
Interviewers never let on if they care about something. They just smile, nod, and take notes. The good ones do anyway!

Yes this is very true. I turned up late for an interview once, phoned ahead of time and apologized profusely when I arrived. The Interviewer seemed cool with it and I was under the impression she didn't mind at all. Got a rejection the very next day with feedback hinting that it was due to tardiness.
Reply 12
Original post by M1011
Which company and which role? It'll depend a lot on the interviewer of course, but generally some large corporate companies are likely to look down on that kind of language whereas small innovative companies may not. This is totally unsubstantiated and a massive generalisation, but in my mind a big finance company will think you sound moronic whereas a small marketing company will probably value your individualism.

The job is consultancy based, and the company is a bit big. There were two of them. One of them was pretty much relaxed and did most of the talking, and keeps asking if I would still like to work for them. The other spoke less and doesn't look too happy for some reason.
And thanks to all the language police :mad:, at least I know I'm better than most.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending