The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Go on Hales/Roy! Marvellous stuff from the pair of them.

They responded to the questions being asked surrounding England's top order in style. Hales was particularly brilliant, but Roy deserved the MOTM award for his vital contribution with two run-outs, the first of which was phenomenal work.

SL were far too short with their total. They never ramped up their innings. They scored too slowly and were pedestrian, having to rely on 27 consecutive singles to usher the scoreboard along at one stage. I actually had a feeling they'd be bowled out when they were 190-7, but they did well to reach 250+. It was never going to be enough though.

Rashid bowled really well, to take the onus off Willey and Woakes, who both struggled as opening bowlers. It was a good job Plunkett was introduced, because he broke the deadlock.

On the other hand, Sri Lanka bowled horrendously. Their spinners went at 8.65 an over, and Prasanna went at a rate of 9.55, including conceding 27 off one over.

Awesome chase.
Original post by Mackay
Go on Hales/Roy! Marvellous stuff from the pair of them.

They responded to the questions being asked surrounding England's top order in style. Hales was particularly brilliant, but Roy deserved the MOTM award for his vital contribution with two run-outs, the first of which was phenomenal work.

SL were far too short with their total. They never ramped up their innings. They scored too slowly and were pedestrian, having to rely on 27 consecutive singles to usher the scoreboard along at one stage. I actually had a feeling they'd be bowled out when they were 190-7, but they did well to reach 250+. It was never going to be enough though.

Rashid bowled really well, to take the onus off Willey and Woakes, who both struggled as opening bowlers. It was a good job Plunkett was introduced, because he broke the deadlock.

On the other hand, Sri Lanka bowled horrendously. Their spinners went at 8.65 an over, and Prasanna went at a rate of 9.55, including conceding 27 off one over.

Awesome chase.

hales and roy played so well today ... and hales 3 sixes in a row were awesome they still had 16 overs and 0 were out and awesome game today
Reply 1222
West Indies advance in what was theoretically a semi-final between themselves and SA, then.

I really worried for WI after their poor start. Rabada let the attack expertly, showing pace and swing to really trouble the Windies batsmen.

WI did well to post 250+ in truth. At 21-4, they looked out of the reckoning. But Bravo's century - his third in ODIs - anchored the innings in style. Pollard chipped in in style, too. They both treated Tahir with such disdain - and it was a surprise for the spinner to go wicket less for the first time this series.

ABDV has failed to fire throughout, managing a paltry average of just 24. SA's batting again let them down, and it was the first time they've been seven down for less than 100 in ODI history. Gabriel and Narine both did really well, strangling SA and chipping in with three wickets apiece.

It was embarrassing for SA that Berhardien top scored.
IPL to return for a mini tournament in September after the end of the IPL Champions League competition but will be held overseas. Last part is the only intriguing part for me, doubt UK weather conducive to be held here but not surprising the BCCI using any opportunity for to milk their cash cow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1224
Really hope Zampa is recalled for the final of the Tri-Series tomorrow. He has ruffled feathers throughout the tournament, strangling WI/SA and he's Australia's leading wicket taker. He deserves a chance to shine on the biggest stage, to be honest. I felt for him when he was dropped against SA.
Reply 1225
Australia secure a 58-run win over West Indies in the final of the Tri-Series.

Matthew Wade's knocked helped them post 270-9, after winning the toss but slumping to 173-6 in the 37th over. They recalled Zampa, who helped Wade knock some balls about towards the rear end of the innings along with fellow tail enders Mitchell Starc and Nathan Coulter-Nile.

Wade looked a cut above Nevill throughout, but he started slowly, making just one run from his first 11 deliveries. But he capitalised on a missed run out chance for the Windies, belting three sixes to finish his side’s top-scorer and with a strike-rate of 110.

It was just the second time Australia added 25-plus runs for each of the seventh, eighth and ninth wickets in an ODI.

Finch got out just shy of his half century, and he was guilty of throwing his wicket away, along with Smith, Marsh and Bailey.

But Marsh really shone with the ball, strangling WI. He dismissed Samuels and Bravo in a purple patch, which conceded just 3 runs from 12 deliveries. Once the Windies slipped to 70-4, they were done for. Hazlewood duly cleaned up the tail, posting figures of 5-50.
Finally found a post about cricket

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1227
Hopefully Root can finally fire tomorrow. The Oval is always a good occasion, and England have a good chance to wrap up the white-ball series now.

Root needs a decent score, though. To me, he looks burned out, but if he keeps being selected, you'd want him to post a respectable tally sooner rather than later. His summer high thus far is 11 - such a shoddy return.

Let's hope Morgan persists with this five-man seam attack, too. Jordan deserves another go after rain disrupted the Bristol match.
Happy that Kumble is the new India coach. Am expecting big things with Kumble and Kohli at the helm. We have such a long test season, and I am expecting good results from this young team.
Reply 1229
Original post by moment of truth
Happy that Kumble is the new India coach. Am expecting big things with Kumble and Kohli at the helm. We have such a long test season, and I am expecting good results from this young team.

Kumble is exactly the right man to be honest. He will command the respect of the players, but most importantly, he'll endear himself to them. People like Chappell didn't.
Original post by Mackay
Kumble is exactly the right man to be honest. He will command the respect of the players, but most importantly, he'll endear himself to them. People like Chappell didn't.

Completely agree, and I think Kohli will learn so much from him, too.
Reply 1231
Original post by moment of truth
Completely agree, and I think Kohli will learn so much from him, too.

Kumble is in touch with the Indian psyche, which helps. I think he'll harness Kohli and make him a more aggressive captain, which can only be a good thing.
Reply 1232
Awesome from Roy again. Just awesome. Two mammoth innings, both very different in style. He seems to always impress - and he's making the most of his form right now. He's cashing in. He hits it over cow corner, sure, but he isn't scared of putting in the hard yards and reaping the benefits.

It's a great performance and chase from England, especially when SL posted such a fierce total inside 42 overs. Chandimal batted really well, as did Gunathilaka and Mathews, and England's bowlers didn't hit their lengths. Sri Lanka put the bowlers under pressure for the first time this series, and the margin for error with the conditions and pitch was much smaller than Edgbaston.

The fielding, from an England POV, was solid. They defended the deep boundaries well. I was surprised to see Morgan and the selectors bring in Moeen, but fair enough. I felt Jordan needed another chance, but the seamers struggled so it was probably a decent choice. Morgan made the right call in opting to chase, knowing the D/L system is usually accommodating for chasing sides.

England keep winning matches in style. Willey didn't impress me today, but he got some decent wickets after a poor start where he was guilty of finding little movement despite the friendly conditions. Root's flurry of runs is the most pleasing aspect of the performance, aside from Roy's brilliance. He hasn't pulled up any trees this summer, but shone tonight. His 65 was a massive contribution - and it was good to see Morgan, Bairstow and Buttler all contribute with boundaries and by getting into double figures.*
Can we go away from this trend of road wickets already. You have 2020 for gimmick leave the other format for us that want to see balanced cricket. However boring it is.
Reply 1234
Welcome to the T20 Blast, Rabada.*Two wickets on debut to help steer Kent to a 10-run win over Sussex tonight.

Spitfires successfully defended 166 for 6 - and they can thank Kagiso and Cowdrey, who got two wickets apiece after*Latham and Denly hit 48 and 44 respectively.

Reply 1235
Job done - series wrapped up for England.

We must remember that this is no fierce SL side. In fact, they're bang average, if not poor. But the depth of England's batting is really fearsome. It says a lot that we're not even making a big deal that they made 320+ today. High scores, brilliant chases and heavy hitting have all become synonymous with the England cricket team. Full credit to Bayliss, Strauss and Morgan for that.

Morgan is clearly in somewhat of a quandary. He isn't batting regularly enough to bring fluidity and flow into his game. He looks short of confidence, but by only playing limited white-ball cricket for Middlesex, it seems unlikely he's going to find it any time soon. No half centuries in 21 ODI/T20 innings for England now. If you look at the batting lineup, he's the weak link. I think that batting Bairstow/Moeen so far down the order is a waste, but Morgan won't be dropped any time soon, and nor should he be. He's a great captain who has worked hard to instil this nonchalance, free-flowing and attacking brand of combative cricket.

Bairstow is a remarkable fielder. I want him and Buttler in the same side for the ICC Champions Trophy next year. Let Buttler have the gloves, but keep Bairstow out on the boundary running in and making the batsmen work for runs. Willey took a great catch today, too, and it shows the strength of England's all round game.*

The bowling continues to go from strength to strength. Rashid's return in these matches has been terrific. He's clearly the stand out white-ball spin option in the country right now, and Plunkett/Willey/Woakes are all fit and firing. You've got a pool of 20+ players to pick from, really, considering Jordan/Finn/Wood are still around, plus Stokes when he recovers from the injury, and Vince at the top of order if you need a deputy for Hales/Roy.

It's great to see Root notching good scores after that brief fallow patch, but his innings today was timid compared to Buttler's explosivity. 70+ off 40 balls is just sensational. His ramp shot, in particular, was excellent.

SL can look to the emergence of Mendis as a plus point, but their lack of a spinner lets them down and their tail is too easily mopped up.

Full credit to the Yorkshire boys today, who managed to take all ten wickets.

Poor Chaminda Bandara, though. His 83 runs conceded is the most by a Sri Lanka player on ODI debut. At least he got Jos out, though eh?*
An excellent first day for the Pakistanis team, despite the 0 from Misbah. Should be an exciting summer if it continues the same. Awaiting the bowling today, hopefully noone gets injured before the main series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1237
Buttler in line for a Test place, according to Bayliss. Big call if they are to deploy him - but, with Stokes/Anderson sweating on fitness, the selectors may be able to shoe-horn both he and Buttler into the same XI.

Cook has spoken about Amir, and said he should expect some boos and a tough reception at Lord's. Hard to disagree. He's served his time, and I'm on Atherton's side. It was a sting cooked up by the News of the World - as expected. They fashioned a crime out of something which would have potentially never have happened, and coerced Amir at a tender age.

But before all that, we've got the solitary T20 vs SL to look forward to. I really hope Mills starts.*
Amir has already claimed 2 wickets on the second day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roy and Buttler for the test team, surely! No-one can say they're not world class.

Quick Reply

Latest