The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by rezzy
im sorry im new to this, dont know how to post a question of my own

There wasn't anything wrong with your query, just that in my case, I don't know that much about foundation year programmes so I'm letting someone with more experience in that matter answer you.

Your Work Experience, Voluntary Work and Summer schools collection seems really impressive! With your extenuating circumstances of missing school, I would say that you have a fair chance at it. Again, you should listen to someone with more experience about foundation year programmes. But best of luck! :smile:
Hey i was thinking of applying for Manchester Medicine Foundation course, i have a lot of work experience im doing Biol, History and Maths A Level. My AS level grades were ABBC and gcses A*AAABBBBBBB but is that good enough?
Reply 62
Original post by NaomiGeorge
Hey i was thinking of applying for Manchester Medicine Foundation course, i have a lot of work experience im doing Biol, History and Maths A Level. My AS level grades were ABBC and gcses A*AAABBBBBBB but is that good enough?

I've moved your post into this thread so it can be more easily answered. :smile:
Reply 63
hey guys, i had an offer AAB at alevel, got AAB but with the B in Chem when they asked for A. 4ums I missed out by
did an access course after where I missed out by 2% but now my firm choice wont let me reapply there saying I v.little chance because It will be my third application. Im applying as resit candidate in my gap yearrr.
:/

any tips? its lpool, lancs & uea that have a problem. havent applied to BSMS before but they wont look at my application because I didnt meet their premed requirements EVEN though Im applying as an alevel resitter.

access courses if they dont work out will seriously limit ur application. resit alevels if you can, best of luck with ur applications! x
i know of King's & Manchester

what else?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by infernalcradle
from UEA for the foundation course...

What were your predicted grades? (If you don't mind me asking) :smile:
Reply 66
I am almost in the same position as you are. What did you decide ?Did you join medipathway?
Original post by rawrr
I just got an email through UCAS about clearing about a thing called 'Medipathways'.

It basically is a foundation year for medicine: you go there, and apply again through UCAS for other medical schools.

I got AABB for my A level results, with the two Bs in biology and chemistry :frown:
I did some research and found out that many candidates that apply for this kind of foundation year usually apply with B~C grades.

I was wondering if this foundation year would be any good, and if I still have a chance of getting into London unis for medicine the following year with my grades.
Medipathways also said that they allow you to retake some modules for A levels to up your grades, but most London unis won't accept this so I'm not really sure if its worth it.

Another option for me is to apply for biomed and either go for graduate entry (which I heard is very hard), or apply to unis such as Queen Mary's or St. George's which allows a transfer to medicine in very rare occasions.

Any advice on what I should do?
bump bump bump
Reply 68
Aren't the Access courses for people who didn't study the sciences at A-level, rather than those who did badly in them?
Reply 69
Southampton
East Anglia

There are more but these are the ones I can think of now...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FMedT
What were your predicted grades? (If you don't mind me asking) :smile:

A*BB
Reply 72
I will most likely be predicted A*AA. I also got 4a's 3b's and C (english lang) at gcse which severely limited my options, so i have decided to apply for 2 foundation courses and 2 actual courses (A100), My question is will the unis that do the foundation med reject me because of my high predictions? I will be applying to kings EDMP programme that require BCC-AAA, will i get rejected because im predicted too high? Or could i still be accepted because of my below standard gcse grades? And also southampton want BBB for their foundation programme will i get rejected their azwell? I meet all their criteria's.

Thanks alot! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by kaka123
If you meet the criteria, you wont be rejected, but it would be in your interest more to apply to 4 foundation year courses due to a C in english, however if you still want to apply to an actual course, apply to the university of leicester, im sure they wanted a C in english language, but keep in mind this may not be the case anymore.

I was thinking more of peninsula and durham for the A100 course because i heard peninsula is abit lenient on ur gcse's if u get a high ukcat. And also leicester is more competitive i think , they still want a min C in english language though... :s-smilie:
Reply 74
Original post by Hanz_a93
I will most likely be predicted A*AA. I also got 4a's 3b's and C (english lang) at gcse which severely limited my options, so i have decided to apply for 2 foundation courses and 2 actual courses (A100), My question is will the unis that do the foundation med reject me because of my high predictions? I will be applying to kings EDMP programme that require BCC-AAA, will i get rejected because im predicted too high? Or could i still be accepted because of my below standard gcse grades? And also southampton want BBB for their foundation programme will i get rejected their azwell? I meet all their criteria's.

Thanks alot! :smile:

Contact the foundation course universities directly and ask them.
I really badly want to go nottingham. the campus <3
i might do a gap year or retake a year to improve my very poor ukcat :frown: :'( ? any advice for me guys. I cant think of any other course, and dont want to waste money on another degree when my hearts at meddd! <3

well I got 522.5? embarrassing I know.. i dont understand why, i did so much revison, nearly for 2 monthss :colondollar: but during school week and school work, ou course, finding placementss in summer i found it hard to concentrate. in the test i was literally shaking, panicking the whole setting scared me a little as I was used practicing on my laptop desk.

can i have some advice ???
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 76
Hi guys!
I just left school and was hoping to apply for an access course in medicine at either COWA or Manchester College. At the moment Im taking a year out before applying to these courses.
I left school with 6 Scottish Highers and didn't do Advanced Highers which I think are equivalent to A-Levels. I believe the access course is equivalent to A-levels. I have got intouch with manchester college and they weren't very helpful they said i could apply. But I don't want to apply and get rejected because on the website it says the course is for people with little or no formal qualifications.
I wanted to know if anyone who has done the access course applied at the age of 19 and had previous Highers or equivalent and got in.

Thanks
Hey, I noticed people asking about Nottingham but some of you might be ineligible to apply because of your gcses! I went to the open day and they've said that if you meet any of the criteria for the 5 year course in terms of gcses (A's in science) or as levels (AAB/AAA) then your application will be rejected in the first stage. Thought i'd say because it makes me ineligible due to As & A*s at GCSE and seems a waste of a UCAS choice if I get rejected straight away! :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by popsiclee67
Hey, I noticed people asking about Nottingham but some of you might be ineligible to apply because of your gcses! I went to the open day and they've said that if you meet any of the criteria for the 5 year course in terms of gcses (A's in science) or as levels (AAB/AAA) then your application will be rejected in the first stage. Thought i'd say because it makes me ineligible due to As & A*s at GCSE and seems a waste of a UCAS choice if I get rejected straight away! :smile:

What if you have the grades for the GCSE but not the AS grades?
Reply 79
Original post by kaka123
Leicester is a good university though, I come from leicester I should know :biggrin:, if I didn't live here I would definately apply, but after all its down to you, your grandes and your situation is different to mines I suppose...:confused:

My gcse's were very poor: 4a's 3b's 1c (3 short courses and C in english lang) but i have my circumstances issue thing which will be mentioned in my reference. So my med schools choices are severely limited...

Latest

Trending

Trending