The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I hope you guys start getting offers through soon, I'm excited for you :h:
Original post by Muffinz

I think this is more a comment on university education as a whole, but I loved this: never in my life before have I been set an essay prompt that is simply "write a short-ish essay on any part of the Turn of the Screw that you find interesting" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I love my Literature seminar now.

Reading this made me so excited to apply :colondollar: hahaha!
Original post by Muffinz
I hope you guys start getting offers through soon, I'm excited for you :h:

I really hope so too :smile: Otherwise I will be a nervous wreck by January!
Your blog has been really interesting and informative Muffinz - thank you and keep it up :biggrin:
Original post by cherrybombbb

I'm applying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick and Exeter all for q300 english/lit but need help choosing my last choice!

It's own to Leeds or Nottingham [although open to other recommendations]. My other choices are all fairly high risk, apart from perhaps exeter but that's still a decent risk. I'd prefer a lower risk option for my last choice, as in lower offer e.g. AAB like Leeds to hopefully be the insurance, but still at a good institution [like notts/leeds].

+rep to help!
Reply 144
Original post by Expendable
I'm applying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick and Exeter all for q300 english/lit but need help choosing my last choice!

It's own to Leeds or Nottingham [although open to other recommendations]. My other choices are all fairly high risk, apart from perhaps exeter but that's still a decent risk. I'd prefer a lower risk option for my last choice, as in lower offer e.g. AAB like Leeds to hopefully be the insurance, but still at a good institution [like notts/leeds].

+rep to help!

I don't know about Notts, but in terms of competition Leeds is still quite high risk given how many people apply there (I think they said that they easily get enough applications to bump their requirements to AAA, but prefer to look at more than grades) :no: KCL ask for AAB if they interest you, but again, I think they're overly competitive. Just pick based course content if you're not bothered about competition (your other choices seem to suggest you're not :tongue:) - I think Notts is meant to have a compulsory drama element, and Leeds have a compulsory language module (or two, can't really remember), which may be a deciding factor?
Reply 145
Original post by LeSacMagique
They're A*AA-AAB? That's a weird range. If you're predicted A*A*A with the A in English that might raise suspicions about whether English is your best subject but you do meet most of their 'entry range'. Best thing to do is to pop an email to their admissions chaps, I think.

Well I've already got my grades and I did get the A in English and the 2 A*s in my other subjects- 2% away from the A* but that's just life I suppose! That's exactly what I'm worrying about- looking like a weaker candidate because of those grades. But I shall investigate further :smile:
Reply 146
Original post by Vekeh
I don't know about Notts, but in terms of competition Leeds is still quite high risk given how many people apply there (I think they said that they easily get enough applications to bump their requirements to AAA, but prefer to look at more than grades) :no: KCL ask for AAB if they interest you, but again, I think they're overly competitive. Just pick based course content if you're not bothered about competition (your other choices seem to suggest you're not :tongue:) - I think Notts is meant to have a compulsory drama element, and Leeds have a compulsory language module (or two, can't really remember), which may be a deciding factor?

KCL have bumped up their reqs to AAAb this year :P:

Leeds are pretty competitive and they do focus more on the statement than anything else - Notts might be a safer choice in this regard. At Leeds we do have a compulsory lang module but it's actually more enjoyable than the Lit module right now :P
Reply 147
Original post by Obsidian
I really hope so too :smile: Otherwise I will be a nervous wreck by January!
Your blog has been really interesting and informative Muffinz - thank you and keep it up :biggrin:

Which blog? :biggrin: Thank you
Original post by Muffinz
Which blog? :biggrin: Thank you

Freshers 2011 :biggrin:
Reply 149
Original post by Obsidian
Freshers 2011 :biggrin:

Awesome! Thank you :biggrin: I'll try and keep it updated haha
Reply 150
Original post by Vekeh

I'm looking at Notts as my first choice for english. It is VERY competitive. 11 people apply per place (similar to lots of top end english uni's) and the typical offer is AAA. So it probably wouldn't be an insurance..simply as its likely to offer the same as your other choices. I would highly recommend taking a look at Notts. I was down there for open day and was blown away!
Original post by Oh Hi

Everywhere's so competitive.

Applied, in the end, to: Oxford [Hertford], UCL, Warwick, Exeter and Nottingham. No real stand out insurance, so I guess I'll take a gap year if no offers etc and use it as a positive; a year of saving money and reading loads is surely, if anything, an advantage for English as you'd be more mature/developed in everything. At least that's the reason I have to justify it to myself anyway.
Reply 152
Original post by Expendable
Everywhere's so competitive.

Applied, in the end, to: Oxford [Hertford], UCL, Warwick, Exeter and Nottingham. No real stand out insurance, so I guess I'll take a gap year if no offers etc and use it as a positive; a year of saving money and reading loads is surely, if anything, an advantage for English as you'd be more mature/developed in everything. At least that's the reason I have to justify it to myself anyway.

I sympathise and agree!

Good luck !
Reply 153
About to send my application off and have finally chosen Newcastle, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester and Leicester (although considering changing to York). Anyone else doing the same?
Reply 154
Original post by eunoia
About to send my application off and have finally chosen Newcastle, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester and Leicester (although considering changing to York). Anyone else doing the same?

5 AAA universities is a ridiculously bad idea, especially for a subject like english.
Reply 155
Original post by Muffinz
5 AAA universities is a ridiculously bad idea, especially for a subject like english.

Well it's a risk, but I've got A*A*A and if I got even one offer I'd be more than happy. If not, I'd apply again and work another year at my current job, at which I earn enough to be able to save about 7 grand a year. Cheers for the concern though, but I really have thought it through :smile:
Reply 156
Original post by eunoia
Well it's a risk, but I've got A*A*A and if I got even one offer I'd be more than happy. If not, I'd apply again and work another year at my current job, at which I earn enough to be able to save about 7 grand a year. Cheers for the concern though, but I really have thought it through :smile:

Oh you already have your grades? My apologies :smile: Best of luck!
Reply 157
Original post by Muffinz
Oh you already have your grades? My apologies :smile: Best of luck!

Cheers, and no problem! It's actually very sound advice. You're at Leeds I see. How are you finding it?
Reply 158
Original post by eunoia
Cheers, and no problem! It's actually very sound advice. You're at Leeds I see. How are you finding it?

I absolutely love it. I'm loving the independence in learning, I'm loving the language element, and I'm loving my electives, opportunities at the union, the city and all the people! It's fantastic. You should consider swapping Leicester for Leeds :wink:
Hi, guys! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest