The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by LipstickKisses

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know what I've been doing. I've decided to wage war on my OCD. Basically even if I feel I need to do a compulsion, I'm doing the opposite. At first it was horrific and I felt certain all my fears would come true, but as it goes on, it seems to be working. I'm a lot less anxious than before and I don't have to do as many weird things, and I'm able to easily tell myself "false alarm, ignore it" rather than having to do all these annoying little rituals. Thought this might be helpful to some people :smile: If you try this, don't feel bad if you can't do it at first. For me, I started by avoiding doing the compulsion immediately and then doing it 10 mins after until eventually I just stopped doing it.

This is such wonderful and amazing news to hear hun! Big well done, seriously :biggrin: I will try to do the same and see how it goes. Hope it works out for you so much. :jumphug:
Reply 701
OCD is so misunderstood, mainly by people who don't have it.

Mine ranges from obsessions (that can be over anything), to failing in love with random strangers.
Original post by WhiteSlice14
It's true! I've seen people who have OCD with paying exactly the right amount in money but they resist from doing so and now they just throw a fiver here and there! :tongue:

What? :tongue:
Original post by ViceVersa
This is such wonderful and amazing news to hear hun! Big well done, seriously :biggrin: I will try to do the same and see how it goes. Hope it works out for you so much. :jumphug:

Thanks :smile: It's very difficult sometimes and hard to keep up, but it's made an amazing difference in just a few weeks. Wish I'd been able to do this earlier, I never used to have bad OCD until a traumatic event set it off and I've been struggling with it ever since. It's now back to almost how it was before the incident, so I'm hoping this will stay working. Good luck to you! :smile:
Reply 703

Thanks :smile: It's very difficult sometimes and hard to keep up, but it's made an amazing difference in just a few weeks. Wish I'd been able to do this earlier, I never used to have bad OCD until a traumatic event set it off and I've been struggling with it ever since. It's now back to almost how it was before the incident, so I'm hoping this will stay working. Good luck to you! :smile:

:hugs:

That's really good hun! I hope it stays working too, and thank you :biggrin:
Reply 704
Eeek, sorry! Thought I'd replied to this :colondollar:

Thank you :smile: yeah it is an honest relief, I forgot it was even possible to have a good day :tongue: I enjoyed it as much as I could given I recieved some bad news yesterday :frown: I'm trying not to let it cripple me though. Aw thank you! OCD has been annoying me so much lately but I'm trying not to let it get to me too much :tongue: And yeah it wasn't fun at all! Except for everyone else in the house who loves a shiny bathroom!

Aw sorry you had a rubbish day hun :console: For a hobby, you could try joining a teaching class or something, like yoga or zumba (:heart:) or cooking or maybe an instrument! Something you love ot always wanted to try generally :smile: You could also join a book club! Reading is good and you should definitely try to get back into it! :smile: I understand about lacking the energy (trust me!) but you could try x

Hope today was better hun :hugs:

hiii! pfew. still so tired! off work again now though so can chat a bit better now! awww im really gutted you had some bad news....that's so typical, when things were going well! think it shows how strong you are for staying positive despite it. have you spoken to your counsellor about it? or boyfriend? talking about bad news definitely helps to lessen the burden, even if you just have a massive cry... you'll feel better for releasing it, rather than bottling things up. :hugs: hope things got a little better and you havent let it bring you down! and if not, remember, you are strong enough to ride it out, lady!

trich has gone again.... think time off work is bad for it :s-smilie: i have lots of things planned for this week though so im hoping it wont flare up again. thanks for being lovely though :smile: i dont think trich is really OCD (maybe mild OCD?) but im so glad i have somewhere to vent about it, without being judged and getting lots of support from everyone! yay for your thread! *throws confetti*

i think im gonna make a list of books i want to read this month and make sure i stick to it! gosh yes, id love to try zumba, been wanting to try for ages! id forgot about that, definitely gonna look into it. im massively **** at dancing and things involving rhythm, so it may not be for me! but it does look fun! :biggrin:

LipstickKisses

well done lovely! that's so so sosososo awesome :biggrin: and really inspirational! hope you manage to keep on top of it and things continue to go well :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
What? :tongue:

Ah don't worry :sigh: Just... I agree :tongue:
Reply 706
Original post by popple7
hiii! pfew. still so tired! off work again now though so can chat a bit better now! awww im really gutted you had some bad news....that's so typical, when things were going well! think it shows how strong you are for staying positive despite it. have you spoken to your counsellor about it? or boyfriend? talking about bad news definitely helps to lessen the burden, even if you just have a massive cry... you'll feel better for releasing it, rather than bottling things up. :hugs: hope things got a little better and you havent let it bring you down! and if not, remember, you are strong enough to ride it out, lady!

trich has gone again.... think time off work is bad for it :s-smilie: i have lots of things planned for this week though so im hoping it wont flare up again. thanks for being lovely though :smile: i dont think trich is really OCD (maybe mild OCD?) but im so glad i have somewhere to vent about it, without being judged and getting lots of support from everyone! yay for your thread! *throws confetti*

i think im gonna make a list of books i want to read this month and make sure i stick to it! gosh yes, id love to try zumba, been wanting to try for ages! id forgot about that, definitely gonna look into it. im massively **** at dancing and things involving rhythm, so it may not be for me! but it does look fun! :biggrin:

Hey TSR works now thankfully :smile:

Yeah it's definitely typical. I haven't spoken to anyone really in detail about it, as I'm trying to focus on my medicine interview atm and I need to be happy so I can show that on the day. It's on Tuesday btw. So yeah atm, I'm okay actually :smile: Aww, thank you. :hugs:

I'm glad trich has gone for the moment" :smile: And btw, trich is considered to be an impulsive condition and so has been classified as a type of OCD :yep: and aw thanks.

I hope you find a nice book and stick to it hun :smile: and definitely try Zumba - it is indeed fun! :smile: You don't have to be amazing, it's all about having fun! :jumphug:

:heart:
Reply 707
Hey TSR works now thankfully :smile:

Yeah it's definitely typical. I haven't spoken to anyone really in detail about it, as I'm trying to focus on my medicine interview atm and I need to be happy so I can show that on the day. It's on Tuesday btw. So yeah atm, I'm okay actually :smile: Aww, thank you. :hugs:

I'm glad trich has gone for the moment" :smile: And btw, trich is considered to be an impulsive condition and so has been classified as a type of OCD :yep: and aw thanks.

I hope you find a nice book and stick to it hun :smile: and definitely try Zumba - it is indeed fun! :smile: You don't have to be amazing, it's all about having fun! :jumphug:

:heart:

good luck with your interview! prepare as much as you can, it's the best way to combat the nerves. and show em how passionate you are, and you'll be fine :smile: good luck lovely! so glad you are coping ok though. you're tougher than me. i dismiss a day as **** for the stupidest reasons (e.g. when mental/racist people chat to me on the bus and i cant listen to my ipod anymore, that really gets me in a bad mood for the day!).

it's kinda weird to define trich, i think. i think there's such a difference between types of trich too, the scalp one and eyebrows/lashes one are really quite different. it's like a cross between compulsion and self harm for me, because i like the physical pain of it. idk. it takes up a lot of energy sometimes. not nearly as much as full OCD though, thank goodness!

wittering on with myself a bit there, as ever. :rolleyes: procrastinating from packing my bag for a weekend away. thought i was going last weekend and got really excited, but then when i realised i got the dates muddled up and it's actually THIS weekend.... im just not excited anymore. so annoying! i hate being such a temperamental girl sometimes. violent mood swings are crap!

so yes, goodbye for the weekend everyone! hope you all have a nice one without too much OCD rubbishness, or general rubbishness for that matter! :smile:
Reply 708
Original post by popple7
good luck with your interview! prepare as much as you can, it's the best way to combat the nerves. and show em how passionate you are, and you'll be fine :smile: good luck lovely! so glad you are coping ok though. you're tougher than me. i dismiss a day as **** for the stupidest reasons (e.g. when mental/racist people chat to me on the bus and i cant listen to my ipod anymore, that really gets me in a bad mood for the day!).

it's kinda weird to define trich, i think. i think there's such a difference between types of trich too, the scalp one and eyebrows/lashes one are really quite different. it's like a cross between compulsion and self harm for me, because i like the physical pain of it. idk. it takes up a lot of energy sometimes. not nearly as much as full OCD though, thank goodness!

wittering on with myself a bit there, as ever. :rolleyes: procrastinating from packing my bag for a weekend away. thought i was going last weekend and got really excited, but then when i realised i got the dates muddled up and it's actually THIS weekend.... im just not excited anymore. so annoying! i hate being such a temperamental girl sometimes. violent mood swings are crap!

so yes, goodbye for the weekend everyone! hope you all have a nice one without too much OCD rubbishness, or general rubbishness for that matter! :smile:

Thank you! Been trying hard to prep but it's hard when your body doesn't want to get up. Way semi-productive yesterday though so I'm glad about that :smile: and thank you :heart: What mental racist people? These people are cruel and mean :mad: That sucks :hugs:

Yeah I totally get it, I know what you mean in terms of the definition :yep:

Aww I hope the excitement kicked in when you were on your way though, or when you were there! It sounds good, wish I had a weekend away soon :tongue: Hope you feel better soon and enjoyed yourself hun :jumphug:
Reply 709
My OCD seems to have calmed down a bit, which is good :woo:

In other news, IT'S TOMORROW! My interview's tomorrow :afraid:
Reply 710
OCD is better except for the hand washing, but most importantly:

:shock: MEDICINE OFFERRRRRR FROM KEELE! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:party:

Don't scream, Don't scream!!!

OMG I screamed!!! AAAHHHHH!!!! I'm so happy for you :biggrin: Well done :party: :woo: :crazy: :woo: :excited:

So happy right now!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I told you you could do it!!! :woo: :danceboy:

(as you can tell, very excited :woo:)

Party cake :cake:

Well done :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 712
Never really spoken to people about suffering from OCD - not something I've had now but plagued me in my young to mid teens. I think i developed it between the ages of 7-9.
What kind of 'Ticks' do people suffer from?
Theirs always that Clichque (Sorry can't spell) of people having pencils all the same way but that never really bugged me.
In fact if that was my issue I'd find it nothing compared to what I had.

A few that i 'had to do' where thing's such as walking over drains, sewer guards, running my hand over corners of rooms/doors etc.
Be interested to know what other people find to be their worst/most annoying ticks.
Reply 713
Original post by cpdavis
Don't scream, Don't scream!!!

OMG I screamed!!! AAAHHHHH!!!! I'm so happy for you :biggrin: Well done :party: :woo: :crazy: :woo: :excited:

So happy right now!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I told you you could do it!!! :woo: :danceboy:

(as you can tell, very excited :woo:)

Party cake :cake:

Well done :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

THANK YOU! Aw your support means just SO much to me! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm SO happy!

Can't. Stop. Screaming. Either! :woo:

WHOOOHOOOOOOO! :smile:

My interview was yesterday - HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN! The earliest a med student there heard from was 2 days and they said she was amazing. I don't know what to think but I'm so happy and everything seems worth it now! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: *dances*

Well done! (New around here and just found this thread) But much congrats on the Keele offer :danceboy:

I haven't read through the entire thread, so I may be repeating things (hah!), but does anyone else get stuck on words? What I mean is sometimes the last word of a sentence I can get a bit fixated on and have to repeat it three times (always three :rolleyes:) If so, how do/did you cope with it and the strange and confused stares? I just can't seem to help myself and really panic if I'm unable to ::frown:

Thanks for this great thread :smile:

YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Well done :smile:
it's a good day today, i got an interview invite from goldsmiths ahhhhh

SOSOSOSO happy for you :smile:
Reply 716
Original post by shephi
Never really spoken to people about suffering from OCD - not something I've had now but plagued me in my young to mid teens. I think i developed it between the ages of 7-9.What kind of 'Ticks' do people suffer from? Theirs always that Clichque (Sorry can't spell) of people having pencils all the same way but that never really bugged me. In fact if that was my issue I'd find it nothing compared to what I had. A few that i 'had to do' where thing's such as walking over drains, sewer guards, running my hand over corners of rooms/doors etc. Be interested to know what other people find to be their worst/most annoying ticks.

Welcome to the thread :hi:

That sucks you have to go through this too :console: If you read through the first few pages you'd see most of mine, and others too :yep:

Original post by Ghille Dhu
Well done! (New around here and just found this thread) But much congrats on the Keele offer :danceboy:I haven't read through the entire thread, so I may be repeating things (hah!), but does anyone else get stuck on words? What I mean is sometimes the last word of a sentence I can get a bit fixated on and have to repeat it three times (always three :rolleyes:) If so, how do/did you cope with it and the strange and confused stares? I just can't seem to help myself and really panic if I'm unable to :frown:Thanks for this great thread :smile:

Hello :hi:

Thank you! :biggrin:

I have that, except sometimes I look at it a lot more than 3 times :sadnod: I try and cope with it by reading quicker, or not reading when I'm very agitated or stressed, but tbh there hasn't been much to do. Sometimes I just will myself to physically move away from it! :erm:

You're welcome! :blushing:

Original post by kaylafrances
YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Well done :smile: it's a good day today, i got an interview invite from goldsmiths ahhhhhSOSOSOSO happy for you :smile:

CONGRATS! :woo:
Reply 717
I've really had enough of my OCD now.

It will be fine for ages, but then something will trigger it and off it goes again.

I just want this devil, these thoughts, to get out my head and leave me alone!

I watched Justin Bieber's movie 'Never Say Never' yesterday morning and ever since I haven't been able to stop thinking about. It's just so constant and it's really making me unhappy.

I know my thoughts aren't real, but there's nothing I can do to control it. :frown:

It's just a waiting game like every other obsession I have over people.

I'm not sure about other people's OCD, but mine can be over anything. The worse cases being over people. I've had it too many times to know that it isn't real and it's my OCD.

My OCD will never go away, is only helped by medication which I'm on, I will never lead a normal life. It makes me so upset. It's something in the back of my mind that is waiting to be triggered by something that I do. Something that will set it off.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Hello :hi:

Thank you! :biggrin:

I have that, except sometimes I look at it a lot more than 3 times :sadnod: I try and cope with it by reading quicker, or not reading when I'm very agitated or stressed, but tbh there hasn't been much to do. Sometimes I just will myself to physically move away from it! :erm:

You're welcome! :blushing:

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:, I will try the 'willing myself away' one. I know it can be controlled and I will try and focus my thoughts :redface:
Original post by Thomas x
I've really had enough of my OCD now.

It will be fine for ages, but then something will trigger it and off it goes again.

I just want this devil, these thoughts, to get out my head and leave me alone!

I watched Justin Bieber's movie 'Never Say Never' yesterday morning and ever since I haven't been able to stop thinking about. It's just so constant and it's really making me unhappy.

I know my thoughts aren't real, but there's nothing I can do to control it. :frown:

It's just a waiting game like every other obsession I have over people.

I'm not sure about other people's OCD, but mine can be over anything. The worse cases being over people. I've had it too many times to know that it isn't real and it's my OCD.

My OCD will never go away, is only helped by medication which I'm on, I will never lead a normal life. It makes me so upset. It's something in the back of my mind that is waiting to be triggered by something that I do. Something that will set it off.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm sorry you feel so badly at the moment. You say you're on medication, have you got any other support? Have you spoken to your GP? There may be 'talking therapies' like CBT that could help?

Hope things get better soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest