The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ice_cube
I think that looks lovely. And yes, that is the other issue, that you can continue searching forever and lose your life to it. At least if you sign it you can be happy and calm and get on with things! Is it in a good location?
Its in the most desirable/popular area for anybody connected to the University, yes :smile: And it is right next to the key bus.

I'm kind of torn between that and another one which we viewed yesterday. Its cheaper and more charming (bright red door, greenery arch you enter to get to the door) and has a loft and cellar but its also smaller overall, and feels a little cramped and my fiance finds it too dark. And its kitchen is ugly. And its in a less desirable area (although it is a stone's throw from a giant Sainsburys) So yeh I feel pretty stuck at the moment, and the clock is ticking :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
To be honest, for student digs I think that looks nice. But my experience of househunting is that I hate it and never want to do it again, so generally speaking my response is something like 'does it have a door? Windows? Where do I sign and how quickly can this be over?'
Original post by Craghyrax
I broadly agree, however I think Norwich is unusually good for accommodation and that somewhere better could turn up. I might regret a hasty decision.
However if I carry on waiting for something optimal this house hunting will eat up my whole life and basically scupper my PhD (or getting it done in 3 years).

I agree with Cubey. That looks really nice (nicer than the other one with the vomit-inducing kitchen colour scheme!), and I wouldn't have thought that finding somewhere *slightly* nicer is worth more than getting settled as quick as possible and back into work and wedding planning!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1283
Its in the most desirable/popular area for anybody connected to the University, yes :smile: And it is right next to the key bus.

I'm kind of torn between that and another one which we viewed yesterday. Its cheaper and more charming (bright red door, greenery arch you enter to get to the door) and has a loft and cellar but its also smaller overall, and feels a little cramped and my fiance finds it too dark. And its kitchen is ugly. And its in a less desirable area (although it is a stone's throw from a giant Sainsburys) So yeh I feel pretty stuck at the moment, and the clock is ticking :dontknow:

Go for the former. While the charm of the second one is nice, it's not a real homely charm if your fiance finds it too dark, and location and space are a hugely important issues. I agree with ice_cube, if you've found one you like (which does look lovely) then go for it and don't look back. Even if something better would come along, is it worth the disruption, stress and time trying to find it? While you may have the regret function of settling, this tends to only apply if you actually notice something better later, which is very unlikely if you aren't actively looking.
(edited 12 years ago)
I like the first one better. Also massively jealous of Norwich property prices... *looks pointedly at Will*
I'd certainly feel cosy and content in the first option, it looks lovely. Light and bright, and with a charming little garden space: want.
Reply 1286
ello all :ciao: My week consisted of god awful supervision meeting, realising my next task is hideous and dry, whacking a ball around on 4 legs at speed (plus point), failing to find the stuff needed for said hideous task, being made to feel totally inadequate by other PhD student and being wined and dined by a lovely guy (plus point 2)

Hmmpfff. :frown:
Reply 1287
x

Agree with everyone re first house

Original post by apotoftea
ello all :ciao: My week consisted of god awful supervision meeting, realising my next task is hideous and dry, whacking a ball around on 4 legs at speed (plus point), failing to find the stuff needed for said hideous task, being made to feel totally inadequate by other PhD student and being wined and dined by a lovely guy (plus point 2)

oh yeah re wining dining lovely guy stuff :smile:
And in GoG tradition I'm betting your are doing far better than you are willing to admit on the PhD!
Reply 1288
Original post by Helenia
I like the first one better. Also massively jealous of Norwich property prices... *looks pointedly at Will*

You find me a decent job in Norwich, or find yourself a really decent job there so I can be a house husband, and I'm all for it. I don't want to live in London, but I do want a job that uses my skills and pays the bills (though it doesn't need to rhyme).
Reply 1289
Original post by sj27
oh yeah re wining dining lovely guy stuff :smile:

Second date :wink:

And in GoG tradition I'm betting your are doing far better than you are willing to admit on the PhD!

Thanks but I don't think I am doing well. Just a 'I'm crap at this' week I think :frown:
Reply 1290
Wow... I forgot how cheap East Anglia is. That wouldn't get you much more than a studio in Bristol...
Original post by cpchem
Wow... I forgot how cheap East Anglia is. That wouldn't get you much more than a studio in Bristol...

Some parts of East Anglia are cheap, I wish Cambridge was!

Go for it. A loft and cellar in the other house are pretty cool, but you're unlikely to really need them, and might just accumulate stuff to fill them.

Just watch out for tealights! :biggrin: :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1293
Has anyone used spareroom before? (whilst we're on the subject of housing)
Has anyone used spareroom before? (whilst we're on the subject of housing)

Picked one of my housemates off it. So far he hasnt stabbed anyone, or wandered round naked.
x

Potty, other PhD students make me feel bad all the time (even now that I *have* a PhD). It's the nature of the business, if you're human and have anything resembling normal emotions, that you are made to feel inadequate as an academic. It happens to seniors even - it's the reason some don't like giving jobs to people they feel are upstaging them (and yes, roll eyes, story of my David's career). It is *no reflection at all* on you.

PS. Anyone with points fancy loaning me a temporary sub? I don't really have the money to spare (for 'don't really' read 'I'm so skint'). I'm getting some irritating negs and I crave retribution, but I don't know who's giving them :colonhash: It would make me happy to be able to neg the crap out of unfair neg-heads, and also (of course) to see the nice people who favour my obviously totally correct posts :h:
Reply 1296
Original post by the_alba
Potty, other PhD students make me feel bad all the time (even now that I *have* a PhD). It's the nature of the business, if you're human and have anything resembling normal emotions, that you are made to feel inadequate as an academic. It happens to seniors even - it's the reason some don't like giving jobs to people they feel are upstaging them (and yes, roll eyes, story of my David's career). It is *no reflection at all* on you.

This kind of stuff - inadequacies coming out as putting other people down, nepotism - does happen in the private sector too though. The company I was working at when I got my Cambridge acceptance is an example. When I asked my boss about the possibility of company sponsorship (he would have had to put me forward), I got told "I don't have a degree from a fancy British university, I don't see why you need one". (This from someone with a PhD and 20 years' experience when I had less than 2 years' experience at the time.) The cherry on the top came when it was announced later that year that the company had awarded a "scholarship" to Oxford for an MPhil in History...to the Chairman's daughter. The fees were probably small change to him, and she didn't have to do anything in return in terms of work etc... (Can you tell I'm still bitter about all of this? :mad:)
(edited 12 years ago)
*Wonders what Craggy decided r.e. housing*
Original post by sj27
This kind of stuff - inadequacies coming out as putting other people down, nepotism - does happen in the private sector too though. The company I was working at when I got my Cambridge acceptance is an example. When I asked my boss about the possibility of company sponsorship (he would have had to put me forward), I got told "I don't have a degree from a fancy British university, I don't see why you need one". (This from someone with a PhD and 20 years' experience when I had less than 2 years' experience at the time.) The cherry on the top came when it was announced later that year that the company had awarded a "scholarship" to Oxford for an MPhil in History...to the Chairman's daughter. The fees were probably small change to him, and she didn't have to do anything in return in terms of work etc... (Can you tell I'm still bitter about all of this? :mad:)

All this stuff irritates the Hell out of me- I see very capable people missing out on opportunities from postgrad places to Fellowships to academic appointments while others, less capable but in a more fortunate position, are able to take, and often waste, them. Look at the Research Council Fellowships- check out who they are awarded to at what institutions, and look back ten years later, and see what sort of impact the Fellows have had. That's instructive (and depressing).

It happens at institutional level too- I spent three days on a review panel once and one member's sole contribution was to go on endlessly about what a waste of time it all was because the organisation we were looking at should just give all the money to his own university. Technically it was UTTER *******S but so often institutions exploit these sorts of opportunities and grab the cash whether or not they can do the job. That is a waste of (generally taxpayers' or shareholders') money, damages the funder (because they get crap information or research) and damages the UK (because someone else with talent and expertise is deprived of the opportunity to make a contribution).

Sadly, it's the way the world is, and there isn't a lot one can do except fight such malign influence wherever you come across it, and NEVER EVER do it yourself.

Grrrrr! Off to kick the cat*

* this is purely metaphorical, just in case the cat lovers on this thread get upset with me
Original post by Cora Lindsay
All this stuff irritates the Hell out of me- I see very capable people missing out on opportunities from postgrad places to Fellowships to academic appointments while others, less capable but in a more fortunate position, are able to take, and often waste, them. Look at the Research Council Fellowships- check out who they are awarded to at what institutions, and look back ten years later, and see what sort of impact the Fellows have had. That's instructive (and depressing).

It happens at institutional level too- I spent three days on a review panel once and one member's sole contribution was to go on endlessly about what a waste of time it all was because the organisation we were looking at should just give all the money to his own university. Technically it was UTTER *******S but so often institutions exploit these sorts of opportunities and grab the cash whether or not they can do the job. That is a waste of (generally taxpayers' or shareholders') money, damages the funder (because they get crap information or research) and damages the UK (because someone else with talent and expertise is deprived of the opportunity to make a contribution).

Sadly, it's the way the world is, and there isn't a lot one can do except fight such malign influence wherever you come across it, and NEVER EVER do it yourself.

Grrrrr! Off to kick the cat*

* this is purely metaphorical, just in case the cat lovers on this thread get upset with me

I can only really speak for my subject but...yeah that's definitely the case, OxBridge in particular seem to be quite apt at keeping the wealth "in house" in this way re: scholarships and early fellowships. Meh, even some of the old hands here mutter about that.

I think the most hilarious aspect of it all though, is how year after year Oxford are happy to sponsor people doing stuff which, let's face it, is absolutely irrelevant: i.e your typical post modern, meta-textual, arty ****ery "I'm a Victorian aristocrat" crap. Speaking to current and past holders of scholarships I've only found two who are writing/have written anything that will stand up to scrutiny in a few years time.

And yet, insanely, people complain that some of the USA universities (Harvard mainly tbf but also Princeton and Stanford since they've stole Barchiesi) are catching up really quickly/starting to dominate the Classics again. No one has pointed out its because they actually do real philology. WTF do you expect? sit there like idiots talking about how this Sappho poem makes you feel, or whether Anacreon meant anything by using a particular word for ball if you want, but don't ****ing complain when 10-15 years from now your department will be by and large irrelevant outside of a finishing school for posh kiddies....

Lately both myself and a few other people I know (mainly DPhil students I must add, rather than any of my actual friends) have became somewhat disillusioned by this place, there's...next to no real scholarship going on here. Some of the latest elected fellows are...actually quite hilarious. I thought you needed publications etc? Basically I realised that all the great professors I associated with this place are either retired or dead, though West still walks around here and there.

In place of giants are little men and that makes me really sad. :frown: I don't know why even, I really love this subject but it's almost painful seeing it slip into pointlessness and I really, really, wanted Oxford to be some sort of bastion to classical philology rather than some sort of gentlemen's club where we talk about stuff like "literary sentiment", "the poet's voice" and so on.

I think in a way it's because it makes me feel irrelevant too and a bit of a sell out. I set out wanting to know things about the ancient world. From applied linguistics, looking at their literature in context, even down to what they ate or how they slept and prayed. Yet look how it all ended up....It's just all so pointless.

Latest

Trending

Trending