The Student Room Group

The Walking Dead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Student_
I hope the show goes the way of Terra Nova.

The premise that these are the human beings who managed to stay alive is just too much for a cynic... bring on a zombie apocalypse movie/show where people wear appropriate clothing!

Yeah, I too am interested in to how you figure these lot as the unlikely survivors? D'you think it would be all US Marines and M16s rolling in on LAVs kicking zombie ass in the dawn? :tongue:

If you think these lot are unlikely survivors, I beg you to read Max Brooks' book World War Z, an oral history of the Zombie War and read up on the interviews in there. A Japanese kid who never leaves his room escaping a block of flats, that's quite the story. :redface:
Reply 541
You know what pisses me off about this show? The inconsistency. Only the other week Rick had a load of zombies on top of him & managed to get away. Then the old guy gets his chest opened by a zombie which seems to have super strength, yet he could hold his mouth back with his arms. Then you have the fact that they're never infected even though they get blood all over themselves. I mean they even went into it in detail one episode, "Hey those guys don't have any bite marks" "Must be scratches", they then go on to get zombie blood ON THEIR LIPS & EYES & Shane all over his hand WITH AN OPEN WOUND. I mean WHAT THE **** is this ****, can't they be more freaking consistent with how people are infected.

Not to mention they seem terrified by zombies that are so freaking weak all you'd need to do is punch them in the face. Presumably you be scared of being infected when doing that but nooooooo, not in The Walking Dead. The problem with having weak zombies is it doesn't really make much sense when people die. One day you're beating up 10 zombies with a stick, the next day one zombie seems to be able to rip through your flesh like its paper. Which reminds me, how does anyone even come back as a zombie when if they're caught they're instantly eaten? I mean they seem to have this venom that rips through flesh like it's nothing, one second you have a leg the next you don't.

Needs to be more like 28 days later, although I guess they wouldn't survive long against those zombies. Then again it would be much more scary to watch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ewan
You know what pisses me off about this show? The inconsistency. Only the other week Rick had a load of zombies on top of him & managed to get away. Then the old guy gets his chest opened by a zombie which seems to have super strength, yet he could hold his mouth back with his arms.

Rick is about twenty years younger then Dale, a hell of a lot fitter and has probably dealt with criminals fighting back during his career. Dale, on the other hand, a simple mechanic and older isn't as strong. He couldn't hold back both arms and the head, nor roll from under it. Plus, his gun was on his back, Rick always has his at his side.

Then you have the fact that they're never infected even though they get blood all over themselves. I mean they even went into it in detail one episode, "Hey those guys don't have any bite marks" "Must be scratches", they then go on to get zombie blood ON THEIR LIPS & EYES & Shane all over his hand WITH AN OPEN WOUND. I mean WHAT THE **** is this ****, can't they be more freaking consistent with how people are infected.

Has already been explained within the last several pages that everyone is infected. The infection doesn't work like that at all, completely negating your point. Everyone is already infected by this stage, so what use would taking in infected blood be? You have to actually die to return as a Walker. If you're bitten, a saliva based infection causes extreme flu-like symptons that, as Morgan put it, "burns you out". Thus, it makes no difference if blood gets into cuts. Therefore not an inconsistency.

Not to mention they seem terrified by zombies that are so freaking weak all you'd need to do is punch them in the face. Presumably you be scared of being infected when doing that but nooooooo, not in The Walking Dead.

So you'd run up to one and smash it in the face? Really? What use would that do? You can't physically kill someone by smashing them in the face unless you hit the base of the nose, the temple or the slightly soft spot behind your jaw. The latter two are likely not to kill one anyway and who's to say that pushing the nose bone into the brain would kill one? Sure, you can knock one over, then what? Run off? What if there's more or if you're wounded? Its not an inconsistancy, you just aren't thinking about it clearly.

The problem with having weak zombies is it doesn't really make much sense when people die. One day you're beating up 10 zombies with a stick, the next day one zombie seems to be able to rip through your flesh like its paper.

Usually the survivors are taking them on in groups, its rare in TWD to see one survivor take on a horde. Besides, those who are are usually overwhelmed or snuck up on. It makes complete sense.

Which reminds me, how does anyone even come back as a zombie when if they're caught they're instantly eaten? I mean they seem to have this venom that rips through flesh like it's nothing, one second you have a leg the next you don't.

Well, you wouldn't stand around once you're bitten, would you? You'd at least make a run for it, which is the basis of why the infection in zombie films always spreads so fast. People run back to their homes or to hospitals, unaware they are carrying a virus. The only scene I've ever seen someone get willingly eaten is the TWD webisode, the final one and Resident Evil Apocolypse where the cops and STARS teams just fall over. Otherwise, most people would make a break for it.

Not sure what your second point regards, I haven't seen anything like that...

Needs to be more like 28 days later, although I guess they wouldn't survive long against those zombies. Then again it would be much more scary to watch.

Technically in 28 Days/Weeks later they aren't zombies, the virus in that completely undermines mental stability, making you insane. They don't eat people in it, though, they just have an uncanny urge to pass on the virus and beat the hell out of people. My Aunt stared in 28 Weeks and during the school where they trained up the Infected on that the coach was told by Boyle that's how it was to be, just to contrast a point.
Reply 543
If I remember right it was the same zombie that grabbed Carls legs, but he seemed to get away :s-smilie: That scene with dale just really didn't make sense to me, the amount of power that would be required to do that kind of damage is insane. These zombies don't have knives for fingers, they're just like ours as far as I can see.

Do they explain this in the first season? So people are infected already, therefore if Carl had died from the gun at the start of S2 he would of turned? Anyone who is killed from anything becomes a zombie? The zombies saliva is just a poison like snakes venom?

Well no, I'd whack them in the head with a stick or something, which seems to do the job. They certainly don't seem that dangerous, at least unless there are hordes of them.

How does it make sense that Dale can be snuck upon in an open area, even if it was darkness. It's not like these creatures are clever predators, setting traps for their prey.

I thought they were already infected? :s-smilie: They just need to die to become a zombie. Presumably they were infected through the air although I don't remember if they ever explained this. I was referring to the scenes when the zombies are eating people, it's like they chew through flesh like it's nothing. I suppose that's a possibility if their saliva contains acids etc to quickly dissolve flesh.

That makes sense.
Stayed up especially to watch the latest episode as soon as it came up online. ****ing incredible finale... Won't say anymore for now, even in spoilers- just in case anyone gets tempted to read it and regrets it...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 545
Just finished watching the season finale! EFFING AWESOME!!!! now we have to wait until "FALL", as americans would say it!
Reply 546
Original post by Karma Charger
Stayed up especially to watch the latest episode as soon as it came up online. ****ing incredible finale... Won't say anymore for now, even in spoilers- just in case anyone gets tempted to read it and regrets it...

Spoiler

Btw, is the word 'zombie' under any sort of copyright protection? As it still pisses me off that almost everything with zombies in refers to them by some completely lame name like 'walker'.
Original post by Mess.

Spoiler

Btw, is the word 'zombie' under any sort of copyright protection? As it still pisses me off that almost everything with zombies in refers to them by some completely lame name like 'walker'.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mess.

I like the fact that it doesn't use the word zombie. I think perhaps they're trying to stray away from the old hack, cliché idea. That and the fact there are some pretty graphic shots of the walkers being done in or doing humans in, works for me.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 550
I finished watching the first season and thought how will this end???
the ending seems predictable :/
(havent watched season 2 yet)
Original post by Jace Falco
Why? Such as?

Are those sincere questions?
Reply 552
I'm less than half way through Season 2 finale, and I've got ****ing goosebumps.

This is just emotional

Edit:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Yawn11
I'm less than half way through Season 2 finale, and I've got ****ing goosebumps.

This is just emotional

Edit:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Ewan

Use spoiler tags :redface:
I'm so happy that my thoughts about what Jenner whispered to Rick came up. Whose the badass in the cloak? (only comment if you haven't read the comics).
I loved that episode :biggrin: even though I'd read the synopsis before hand it was brilliant.

But why they didn't

Spoiler

Original post by Guitarded

Spoiler

Spoiler

edit- Why the negs?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by _Student_
Are those sincere questions?

They were, but I'm not bothering with this thread anymore, so feel free to ignore them.
Original post by Lil Piranha
I loved that episode :biggrin: even though I'd read the synopsis before hand it was brilliant.

But why they didn't

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest