The Student Room Group

English Language AQA ENGB3 11th June 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lumayaa
any revision sources/website/notes you guys want to share
any predictions/tips

and is anyone actually doing this lol?
i am freaking out, got 14 days to revise everything, and i haven't started. :eek:

There doesn't seem to be any threads on here, no one must be doing it haha. By the way, I'm doing it and I haven't started any revision yet! Ahhh

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 21
Original post by madman94
There doesn't seem to be any threads on here, no one must be doing it haha. By the way, I'm doing it and I haven't started any revision yet! Ahhh

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

i know :frown:
there's language acquisition and language change we have like 12/13 days so not long left.
but I'm planning to start revision tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 22
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1388314

this is a thread from a few years ago, but some lucky ******* who got 117/120 on ENGB3 gives some quite helpful advice.

Don't stress though. Panic is not good
Reply 23
I have some useful revision things :smile:

Here you go....

LANGUAGE CHANGE REVISION.docx
Child_Language_Acquisition.docx
Revision Booklet.docx

I should say that these aren't mine, I got them off getrevising but I've found them really helpful!!
Original post by Hooby
I have some useful revision things :smile:

Here you go....

LANGUAGE CHANGE REVISION.docx
Child_Language_Acquisition.docx
Revision Booklet.docx

I should say that these aren't mine, I got them off getrevising but I've found them really helpful!!

for language change.
Reply 25
Original post by Ms.LastMinute.com
child aquisition..
a01- frameworks
ao2 - theorys
ao3- contextual elements

language change
ao1-framework
ao2-language change
ao3-contextual elements.

there done! :smile:

All sounds simple enough there but the Theorists are NOT sticking in my head, how many are you supposed to use? Because my teacher keeps telling us about 30 different ones saying we need to know them all and I'm not getting anywhere :frown: Language Change I think I'll be OK, I hope a dictionary one comes up though.
Reply 26
Original post by ispymo
All sounds simple enough there but the Theorists are NOT sticking in my head, how many are you supposed to use? Because my teacher keeps telling us about 30 different ones saying we need to know them all and I'm not getting anywhere :frown: Language Change I think I'll be OK, I hope a dictionary one comes up though.

Our teacher is an examiner for this subject as well and does marking of these exams and she tells us that theories are not that important. Making plenty of language points, clustering your examples, giving an alternative explanation for your point and making a contextual link in every paragraph is most important.
Of course, theories are helpful, but as long as you understand some of the points they make, their names are not as important. For example, when writing about caregiver language, if they have used praise, 'good girl', and you know that a theorist has said 'positive praise and reinforcement encourages the child to continue interacting, therefore aiding their language development' - this is more important than naming the theorist (which is Skinner by the way :P).

Basically, if you can make a lot of language points you should do pretty well, theorists are just extra and can help get top grades, although we've had model essays at grade B that haven't mentioned any :smile:
Reply 27
Hi i'm taking this exam, and i was wondering if anyone could help me. For Language Change i'm doing a past paper on a single text written in 1726, and there are examples of archaic lexis such as "hath" and "thence". What could you analyse about this lexical choice other than how it rerflects the time the text was written, and how it is obsolete and not is use today.
Reply 28
What does everyone think will come up? I hope something to do with reading schemes comes up :biggrin: Does anyone have any model answers on a lang acquisition q.? Thanks
Original post by Hooby
What does everyone think will come up? I hope something to do with reading schemes comes up :biggrin: Does anyone have any model answers on a lang acquisition q.? Thanks

It's so hard to tell what will come up on the English Language exams, I think. I just want to get a really good transcript for Lang Acq. nothing on writing hopefully, I don't feel I know it as well as Speech/Reading :s-smilie: And hopefully, some decent pieces for Lang. Change, with plenty to write about! How's revision going? :smile:
Thanks for the resources everyone, really helpful :smile:

Here's a sort of 'checklist' I thought might help when annotating texts. I don't know about anyone else but sometimes I don't know where to start! May help with hitting AO1 where you have to be methodical...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
When actually writing the answer how are you supposed to structure your answer, meaning what do you write about. I would love some explanation and help because when talking about language acquisition you cant just identify all the elements of language acquisition what do your write about say a stage.... e.g holophrastic
Reply 32
Original post by ispymo
x.

Original post by laurennmc
x

Original post by Hooby
x

Original post by rebeccadaleyx
x

Original post by LuckyBlackCat7
x.

Original post by moesizlak
x

For Child Aquisition question there is usually
- A transcript <- Where you analyse the spoken development
- Texts <- where you analyse their writing development

However, I think last year the question was mixed spoken + writing development.
Which leaves me confused, as I have only time to revise for spoken development.
So is it possible if anyone can help me, in how to structure and what to include within a 'writing development' essay?

But this is what I would consider putting in the Child Aquisittion essay question regarding spoken development.

1.a03- development stage child is at . i.e. telegraphic etc.
2. ao1-framework 'he can label objects'
3. ao2- this theorist says at this stage they are able to utter nouns first.
4. does the child meet the stage requirements?
5. a03-contextual elements? how may his surrounding/teacher assist/deteriorte his spoken language?

?
?But remember, the examiner marks with 'positive marking' for english, so however much A0 (framesworks) you write, you will always get rewards for it,as long as it is relevant.!

Anyone would like to add anything in here?
Reply 33
Am I correct in thinking that you will always get atleast one transcipt of a spoken conversation for language acquisition?
Reply 34
Original post by 1L8A7D9
Am I correct in thinking that you will always get atleast one transcipt of a spoken conversation for language acquisition?

I've answered that question above. :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by SCheng
Hi i'm taking this exam, and i was wondering if anyone could help me. For Language Change i'm doing a past paper on a single text written in 1726, and there are examples of archaic lexis such as "hath" and "thence". What could you analyse about this lexical choice other than how it rerflects the time the text was written, and how it is obsolete and not is use today.

talk about archaic inflections such as -th and how it was used for third person address :smile:
The Nelson Thornes book says that you tend to get one on spoken development & one on literacy development. In the spoken element just try & slip a little bit on literacy in just to show a wide knowledge. And include elements from AS i.e. power, gender & technology :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by rebeccadaleyx
The Nelson Thornes book says that you tend to get one on spoken development & one on literacy development. In the spoken element just try & slip a little bit on literacy in just to show a wide knowledge. And include elements from AS i.e. power, gender & technology :smile:

Can you help me with the writing development please?
What kinds of theorists/knowledge do you need to know?
Reply 38
Original post by LuckyBlackCat7
Thanks for the resources everyone, really helpful :smile:

Here's a sort of 'checklist' I thought might help when annotating texts. I don't know about anyone else but sometimes I don't know where to start! May help with hitting AO1 where you have to be methodical...

Thats helped me thanks :biggrin:

Can you just tell me some stuff about language and power/technology.
Since we only focused on gender last year :redface:
Reply 39
Original post by Courtney05
talk about archaic inflections such as -th and how it was used for third person address :smile:

Ok thanks, i'm really starting to get worried for this exam :s-smilie:. The AS Language exam seems so easy in comparison . . .

Quick Reply

Latest