The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for Pharmacy?

I've looked at many different examples, but I just can't seem to decide how to start of my personal statement for Pharmacy.
Here are some ideas I am going to include in my statement:
-Paragraph 1: introduction to show my interest in the course
-Paragraph 2: work experience (i've done around 3 different professions related to pharmacy)
-Paragraph 3: GCSE's, current a levels I'm undertaking (which are biology, chemistry, maths and english language and literature)
-Paragraph 4: hobbies & interests/ other stuff I do.
-Paragraph 5: conclusion, ending statement.
I'm not sure how to include information to show my different skills etc. and how to relate the information to pharmacy.:s-smilie:
I would really appreciate if someone could give me guidelines to present my information, I'm really stuck.

Thank You.
Zayn
Reply 1
Original post by zaiiny
I've looked at many different examples, but I just can't seem to decide how to start of my personal statement for Pharmacy.
-Paragraph 2: work experience (i've done around 3 different professions related to pharmacy)
-Paragraph 3: GCSE's, current a levels I'm undertaking (which are biology, chemistry, maths and english language and literature)
I'm not sure how to include information to show my different skills etc. and how to relate the information to pharmacy.:s-smilie:
I would really appreciate if someone could give me guidelines to present my information, I'm really stuck.

Thank You.
Zayn

Tbh I dont really know anything about pharmacy but in terms of a personal statement I would probably go with:
Para1- A statement about yourself and what specifically got you interested in the course
Para2- Your take on the course, what skillset you think are required etc.
Para3- your subjects and how they may be useful or why you chose them
Para4- work experience youve done (if its not related to pharmacy, try to keep it short)
Para5- where you see yourself in the future and how the degree might help

hope this helped! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Just mention academic detail.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Mine was a really rushed personal statement, and I had nothing really to compare it to. But my structure was:
*Introduction: why I wish to go into the healthcare profession and what I wish to gain.
*Work exp: Hospital placement - Insight into what I learned rather than what I observed.
*Voluntary work: Elderly care home and evidence of wider reading, namely poly-pharmacy.
*Work exp: Community Pharmacy - Insight into a career in pharmacy as well as which career path I see myself going towards.
*Voluntary work - School for special needs adults - Insight into the wider community and importance of drug therapies.
*Skills and competencies of a pharmacist
*Extra curriculum & hobbies
*Conclusion.

It seems as though my work work exp and voluntary are all over the place but it flowed much better when separated, so I placed them apart :P. I personally would go against writing a paragraph all about what subjects you're taking, though if you decide to include it, place more emphasis on chemistry (mainly organic).

Good luck in your application!
Reply 4
Original post by Jin3011
Mine was a really rushed personal statement, and I had nothing really to compare it to. But my structure was:
*Introduction: why I wish to go into the healthcare profession and what I wish to gain.
*Work exp: Hospital placement - Insight into what I learned rather than what I observed.
*Voluntary work: Elderly care home and evidence of wider reading, namely poly-pharmacy.
*Work exp: Community Pharmacy - Insight into a career in pharmacy as well as which career path I see myself going towards.
*Voluntary work - School for special needs adults - Insight into the wider community and importance of drug therapies.
*Skills and competencies of a pharmacist
*Extra curriculum & hobbies
*Conclusion.

It seems as though my work work exp and voluntary are all over the place but it flowed much better when separated, so I placed them apart :P. I personally would go against writing a paragraph all about what subjects you're taking, though if you decide to include it, place more emphasis on chemistry (mainly organic).

Good luck in your application!

Thank you, I've done work experience at:
-Pharmacist
-Care Home
-Community nurses etc.

Do you think this' enough where it concerns experience?

Thanks you everyone else :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by zaiiny
Thank you, I've done work experience at:
-Pharmacist
-Care Home
-Community nurses etc.

Do you think this' enough where it concerns experience?

Thanks you everyone else :smile:

That's more than enough:biggrin: As long as you come across quite well and informed on your personal statement, showing what those experiences have taught you about the pharmaceutical profession and healthcare, then there's no reason why you shouldn't be called in for an interview (or receive an offer) - obviously, providing that you have a decent academic background:tongue:
Reply 6
Have a look on studential.com in their personal statement section as they have a range of personal statements in a range of courses, so may well have pharmacy ones for you to look at!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by zaiiny

Thank You.
Zayn

Zayn, you're off to a good start!

However for paragraph 3, instead of just talking about what subjects you're currently taking (or took) maybe you could link your subject choices to how you think they might prepare you for Pharmacy/or how they demonstrate your interest as well as how it might help you with future university work.

Eg.: I took Research as a subject, so I talked about learning the basics in this subject will help me with research projects I might do while I'm at university.

Original post by Jin3011
I personally would go against writing a paragraph all about what subjects you're taking, though if you decide to include it, place more emphasis on chemistry (mainly organic).

Definitely talk about Organic Chemistry! Super important! :smile:

Also another good point to add is what you intend to do with your degree (maybe you could include this in your introduction?)

The structure for my personal statement was:

-why I want to study Pharmacy/become a pharmacist
-subjects I took in college
-volunteer work (I didn't have any working experience to write about, but since you do you could talk about what you learnt from each of your work experiences)
-hobbies & interests + why I wanted to study in the UK (only for international students)

I hope this helps. If you have any questions I'll try to help! Best of luck with your application & kudos to you for starting to plan this out in June, I only wrote mine in November lol. :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by oliviagunapalan
Zayn, you're off to a good start!

However for paragraph 3, instead of just talking about what subjects you're currently taking (or took) maybe you could link your subject choices to how you think they might prepare you for Pharmacy/or how they demonstrate your interest as well as how it might help you with future university work.

Eg.: I took Research as a subject, so I talked about learning the basics in this subject will help me with research projects I might do while I'm at university.

Definitely talk about Organic Chemistry! Super important! :smile:

Also another good point to add is what you intend to do with your degree (maybe you could include this in your introduction?)

The structure for my personal statement was:

-why I want to study Pharmacy/become a pharmacist
-subjects I took in college
-volunteer work (I didn't have any working experience to write about, but since you do you could talk about what you learnt from each of your work experiences)
-hobbies & interests + why I wanted to study in the UK (only for international students)

I hope this helps. If you have any questions I'll try to help! Best of luck with your application & kudos to you for starting to plan this out in June, I only wrote mine in November lol. :colondollar:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by zaiiny
Thank you! :smile:

You're welcome! Best of luck with the application! Which universities do you have in mind?
Reply 10
Original post by oliviagunapalan
You're welcome! Best of luck with the application! Which universities do you have in mind?

Sorry for the late reply, I was thinking: Liverpool, Bradford, Manchester for now.. I am considering studying down south.
Original post by zaiiny
Sorry for the late reply, I was thinking: Liverpool, Bradford, Manchester for now.. I am considering studying down south.

The links in my signature should be able to help you with regards to structuring your statement and the approach that other students have taken.
I redrafted mine so many times, writing is the only time I'm a perfectionist. Your layout sounds pretty similar to mine to be honest, except that I think I wrote it as:

1. Introduction, put in a bit about why pharmacy is important to society.
2. Subjects I was doing and how they were useful to the degree. Maths, problem solving, chemistry, practising experiments, can't remember why biology was useful, I'll need to dig out my PS.
3. Big bit on work experience and what I learned from it (I didn't have a huge amount of work experience, I just wittered) and also about particular aspects of pharmacy which interested me, just things I'd found on the pharmaceutical journal and the health section of BBC news really. :smile: Think it helped a lot! I read around a bit before my interviews as well, have a suspicion that it's why I got in, I was getting pretty excited about something I'd read and me and the interviewer had a great chat about it. So go and be a pharmacy nerd, it'll serve you well!
4. Hobbies/interests and the skills I'd gained, how they related to pharmacy
5. Quick conclusion saying what I thought I would gain from studying pharmacy.

I'd say it's definitely worth putting a lot of time and thought into. Of course, you clearly already know this since you're getting yourself organised for this already. :smile: Where are you thinking of applying?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by zaiiny

Sweet! Best of luck with your application! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest