The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5840
Does anyone ahve some advice on which of PDEs or Metric spaces to choose / or both. which is harder / taught better / more useful. Thanks
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by JM-97
Does anyone ahve some advice on which of PDEs or Metric spaces to choose / or both. which is harder / taught better / more useful. Thanks

Definitely do metric spaces - it leads to a lot of modules in the third and fourth year.

PDES isn't too difficult but it's quite boring. Attend the lectures and see what you think of it.
Original post by JM-97

Metric spaces is the one to do at all costs. It's rather interesting and relatively difficult, and you're kinda left to your own devices to learn the module. No lecture notes, but there are plenty of resources you can find. It is required for any analysis/geometry module and a lot of the algebra and applied modules as well.

A lot of people found PDEs terribly boring; personally I thought it was one of the more interesting modules. You have a little bit of analysis under your belt to do differential equations properly. There are really good lecture notes, and it's a little difficult. It's required for applied modules and some analysis modules.
(edited 7 years ago)
For graduation day, is it compulsory to get into campus via park and ride? Can't we just park in one of the car parks on campus?
I am planning on taking Programming For Scientists in the second year and I have decided to start learning Java early, as recommended by my friends. My only problem is that I seem to be having difficulty accessing the MaClasses on my mac, despite the "Working from home" section on the module page saying that all I needed to do was download the zip file and all would work. Has anyone here experiences this or know the solution?
Guys I am a MORSE student going into my second year. I got a first in Analysis I and II (mid 70s) and want to do Analysis III, do you think it's worth going over the content this summer? And is Metric Spaces recommended for me as another maths module. (i will be doing all mainly Statistics and Modelling modules, but want some maths in there as well). I will most likely not be doing the 4 year MMORSE degree because i want to do a MSc separately, so what module recommendations can you make for me Thank you :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Makluv
I am planning on taking Programming For Scientists in the second year and I have decided to start learning Java early, as recommended by my friends. My only problem is that I seem to be having difficulty accessing the MaClasses on my mac, despite the "Working from home" section on the module page saying that all I needed to do was download the zip file and all would work. Has anyone here experiences this or know the solution?

You need to follow the instructions on the Mac OS X section. I wouldn't stress too much about the module - it's rather easy, and the course hasn't changed for years.

Original post by Foxab77
Guys I am a MORSE student going into my second year. I got a first in Analysis I and II (mid 70s) and want to do Analysis III, do you think it's worth going over the content this summer? And is Metric Spaces recommended for me as another maths module. (i will be doing all mainly Statistics and Modelling modules, but want some maths in there as well). I will most likely not be doing the 4 year MMORSE degree because i want to do a MSc separately, so what module recommendations can you make for me Thank you :-)

Analysis 1/2/3 are rather standalone, in the sense that you cover separate topics. To put it into perspective, the overlap between analysis 2 and analysis 3 is about the same as the overlap between analysis 1 and analysis 2. Analysis 1 was sequences/series, analysis 2 was continuity/differentiation, analysis 3 is integration/sequences of functions.

I'm not sure which maths modules you're particularly interested in, by your post, it seems to be analysis. Differentiation (Analysis 4) is again just more analysis topics to functions of several variables. Vector analysis is also interesting - you go over vector calculus in the first half and then do an introduction of complex analysis in the second half. Complex analysis is secretly the best thing ever.

Metric spaces leads onto a load of maths modules.
Original post by Smash50
For graduation day, is it compulsory to get into campus via park and ride? Can't we just park in one of the car parks on campus?

You don't have to use the park and ride, but you can't park on campus.

Original post by Makluv

I'd suggest learning it not using the course content: pick something simple you want to make a computer do, and write it (some kind of fancy calculator would be a good first step, for example), looking up whatever you need online as you go.

Original post by Foxab77

Yeah, looking over it beforehand would definitely be useful. Metric Spaces is one of the more difficult second year modules, but is very useful for pretty much everything.
Thanks for the replies guys, would you say doing Analysis III on its own next year would put me at a disadvantage because metric spaces helps it? Is there much overlap or point doing analysis III and metric spaces together?
So the lecture list is out. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/lecturelist/

I was wondering if the lecturers for the following modules are any good?
MA377 Rings and Modules - Schlichting
MA4H9 Modular Forms - Morgan/Dickson (These look like new research associates from their profiles)
MA3A6 Algebraic Number Theory - Mascot/Page
MA3G6 Commutative Algebra - Maclagan
MA426 Elliptic Curves - Dokchitser (sounds new)

Also Group theory has been removed for Presentation of groups http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year4/ma467/
Are the modules basically the same?

And Geometry of Curves and Surfaces or Introduction to Topology. Which one would you recommend I do?
Reply 5850
Do people know anything about some of the new lecturers for year 2 modules? Namely Nazarenko, Preiss, Rumynin for the core modules. I only know about Nazarenko, and I have heard he is awful...
Differential geometry has moved to term 1 annoyingly, so I need an alternative 4th year module.

Are any of Riemann surfaces, ergodic theory, asymptotic methods, advanced real analysis, suitable?
Original post by Lunox
Do people know anything about some of the new lecturers for year 2 modules? Namely Nazarenko, Preiss, Rumynin for the core modules. I only know about Nazarenko, and I have heard he is awful...

Nazarenko taught analysis 3 for morse /math stats students and he is pretty decent from what I heard. Preiss did metric spaces 2014-2015 and set a hard exam but I heard he was fine as a lecturer. Rumynin good luck with him . I've read he sets hard exams and doesn't lecture very well.
Original post by Alex:
Differential geometry has moved to term 1 annoyingly, so I need an alternative 4th year module.

Are any of Riemann surfaces, ergodic theory, asymptotic methods, advanced real analysis, suitable?

No point doing advanced real analysis unless you want to go into research (analysis). Riemann surfaces seems like the best module out of those.
Original post by Math12345
So the lecture list is out. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/lecturelist/

I was wondering if the lecturers for the following modules are any good?
MA377 Rings and Modules - Schlichting
MA4H9 Modular Forms - Morgan/Dickson (These look like new research associates from their profiles)
MA3A6 Algebraic Number Theory - Mascot/Page
MA3G6 Commutative Algebra - Maclagan
MA426 Elliptic Curves - Dokchitser (sounds new)

Also Group theory has been removed for Presentation of groups http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year4/ma467/
Are the modules basically the same?

And Geometry of Curves and Surfaces or Introduction to Topology. Which one would you recommend I do?

Marco's done Rings and Modules for the last few years: take a look at the lecture notes / past papers available now for an idea. The lectures aren't brilliant, but they're perfectly serviceable.
Don't know anything about Morgan/Dickson.
Nicolas and Aurel also did ANT this year. They were both pretty good lecturers overall.
Diane does CA every year. The course is hard, but the lectures are good.
No idea about Dokchitser.

Group Theory and Presentations of Groups run on alternative years: the usual course would be to do one in your third year and one in your fourth, whichever way around they fall for you. Group Theory is a lot more elementary (which doesn't mean easy) - it focuses on enumerating small groups and small simple groups, using mostly techniques that work directly on the immediate structure of the groups themselves. Presentations of Groups is about presentation theory, which is very useful for studying groups in general, but involves studying groups sort of at a remove in some ways. Derek's a great lecturer, and probably the best exam writer in the university. His exams aren't easy, but they are very consistent in difficulty every year: look at past papers.

Original post by Lunox

I don't know much about Nazarenko. Preiss is decent. I actually like Dmitriy's lecturing, but it's not for everybody, I guess. His exams are generally pretty hard, but are fair. Average for his exams last year was 65%.

Going through the other lecturers on there:

Mario (joint degree Analysis I and Vector Analysis) is great. Dedner (DEs) isn't brilliant, judging by the questions about his lectures I was asked in my supervisions. Oleg (Foundations) is decent. No idea who Harper (Joint degree Sets & Numbers) is. Ditto Andrea (Intro to Geometry). Samir (Intro to Abstract Algebra, Galois Theory) has been banned from winning the maths department's best lecturer award because he won it every year. Daan (2nd Year Essay, Knot Theory and Algebra I) is dreadful. Keith (Combinatorics, joint degree Analysis II) is OK. Christian (Geometry and Algebraic Geometry) I haven't had, but I've heard he's mediocre at best. Gavin (Geometry) is apparently hilarious, make of that what you will. Hugo (PDEs) I don't know anything about, but it's pretty hard to screw that module up, since it doesn't have any content. Daniel (Joint degree Analysis III, Statistical Mechanics) I've not heard much about. David Mond (Climate Change, Intro to Topology) is great: see above. Roman (3rd Year Essay, Measure Theory, and Markov Processes and Percolation Theory) isn't very good. Jackson (Consolidation) is pretty good. Andreas (Fractal Geometry) seemed OK, though he did go very slowly in the few of his lectures I was in. Don't know anything about Weiyi (GCS) or Jeremy (History of Mathematics). Richard (Functional Analysis I and Ergodic Theory) is decent. Adam Epstein (Set Theory) is awful, completely unable to keep on topic or present facts in a sensible order [by the way, compare his profile picture to his actual appearance some time]. Brian (Manifolds, Geometric Group Theory) is OK, if a bit rambling. Dave (Problem Solving and Bifurcations, Catastrophes and Symmetry) is good. Don't know anything about Marie-Therese (Variational Principles, Mathematical Modelling and PDEs). Dwight (4th Year Project) is good, irrelevantly. Never had Pollicott (Dynamical Systems), Jose (Fourier Analysis). Derek (Presentations of Groups) is great: see above. Xue-Mei isn't brilliant. Weijun (who I presume is doing Advanced PDEs, rather than the other Xu, since it's his research area) is OK, but does go very fast. Don't know anything about Kai (Advanced PDEs), Antoine (Differential Geometry), or even who Jiang (Differential Geometry) is. Robert (Atmospheric Dynamics) is pretty rambling and hard to understand. Don't know anything about Charudatta (Ring Theory). Vadim (Comb Opt, Graph Theory) is dreadful as a personal tutor, and I can't imagine he'd be much better as a lecturer. Markus (Structures of Complex Systems and Numerical Analysis) is... interesting. Not great for learning things from, though. Oleg (Differentiation) isn't brilliant, from what I hear. Claude (Theory of ODEs, Asymptotic Methods) is decent from what I hear. Don't know anything about Nigel (Intro to Systems Biology). John (Intro to Number Theory) is good. Never heard of James (Fluid Dynamics). Miles (Groups and Reps) is an abysmal lecturer and a worse exam writer. Daniel (Combinatorics II) I don't know anything about. Don't know who B Sharp (Theory of PDEs) is. James (Analysis II and Functional Analysis II) I've heard mixed things about. Bjorn (Numerical Analysis and PDEs) is remarkably dull as a lecturer, but not actually bad. Saul (Algebraic Topology) is good, if a little unconventional - his lectures consist of a lot of him asking you questions / answering your questions. Given that he does topology in the least algebraic way of anybody I know, it'll be interesting to see how he teaches Algebraic Topology. Christoph (Control Theory) is decent as a lecturer, writes really hard exams. I don't know anything about Vladimir (Elliptic Curves). Inna (Lie Algebras, Linear Algebra) is great. Alex (Representation Theory) is pretty good, but his course is pretty hard. Don't know much about John (Riemann Surfaces), but he's guaranteed to be better than the previous lecturer. Vassilli (Quantum Mechanics: Basic Principles and Probabilistic Methods) I don't know much about, but I've hard vaguely OK things about him. Louise (Population Dynamics: Ecology and Epidemiology) is new. Nikolaos (Brownian Motion) is OK, but not brilliant. Don't know who Richardson (Intro to Theoretical Neuroscience) is. I've never heard of Filip (Calculus of Variations). Hendrick (ARA) is reasonable. Karen (Cohomology and Poincare Duality) is good from what I've heard. Andrew and Mark (Experimental Maths) are both great. Stefan (Large Deviation Theory) I don't know much about. Oleg (Geometry and Motion) is OK. Damiano (joint degree Linear Algebra) is OK. Roger (Maths by Computer) is great. Don't know anything about Chester (Programming for Scientists). I've heard bad things about Sigurd (Probability A), and his students don't seem to understand things very well from the lectures. I've never heard of Thomas (who I think is teaching joint degree DEs, though his name seems to be typoed).

Also, this strikes me as a good time to remind people to download copies of all of the past papers for modules you might take next year now, before the older ones drop off the list.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is miles reid that bad? Is groups and reps still doable even with him and do we have to do a class test for it?
Original post by Mr.cool
Is miles reid that bad? Is groups and reps still doable even with him and do we have to do a class test for it?

Yeah, he's bad. You will learn essentially nothing of use in that course. There was no class test this year, despite it saying that there might be on the undergraduate handbook page.
Reply 5857
Have any maths students here had experience with the PX436 General Relativity course? I will have taken Differential Geometry but don't have a physics background beyond Classical Mechanics & Special Relativity in 1st year and a working knowledge of Hamiltonians/Lagrangians.
Any recommended textbooks for Vector Analysis ?
Original post by Makluv
Any recommended textbooks for Vector Analysis ?

check the module page. Mario has put up a list of 20 or so books.

My advice for this module is to attend the lectures and work through the assignments/past papers. VA is mainly calculations and knowing the main theorems.

Quick Reply

Latest