The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moonkatt
You'll possibly end up having to commute for placements anyway, there are hospitals all over the city. A lot of hospitals now do long days, which tend to run from around 7am to 7-8 pm, but some places still do short shifts, where lates sometimes finish a bit later. You won't know shift times for certain until you know where you're going on placement.

Oh okay thanks, so shall I just apply for student accommodation to be on the safe side?
Original post by safiyyah98
Oh okay thanks, so shall I just apply for student accommodation to be on the safe side?

It's up to you, where are you commuting from? You'll get more of the "student experience" living in halls and f you end up placed at the QE you'll be nearby. Which branch of nursing are you wanting to study btw?
Original post by moonkatt
It's up to you, where are you commuting from? You'll get more of the "student experience" living in halls and f you end up placed at the QE you'll be nearby. Which branch of nursing are you wanting to study btw?

Yeah true, I'm looking forward to that 'student life' haha. I'd be commuting from Wolverhampton to Birmingham. Well with Birmingham you don't have to choose your branch till 2nd year but i really want to do child nursing.
Original post by safiyyah98
Yeah true, I'm looking forward to that 'student life' haha. I'd be commuting from Wolverhampton to Birmingham. Well with Birmingham you don't have to choose your branch till 2nd year but i really want to do child nursing.

Travelling from Wolvo could be difficult at weekends, especially on Sundays. I don't know much about how the child nursing course is structured any more, we get students from UoB but it's only adult branch as we're an adult critical care unit. With the children's hospital in town you're sure to get some interesting placements though.
Hi roughly how far in advance do you get timetables/ information?
Hello :smile:Are there any Edinburgh nursing students on here? I'm currently applying to Queen Margarets and Napier for September 2016, but Im a single mother with two small children so I'm a bit concerned about the childcare practicalities of the degree and various placements etc... I'd be extremely grateful if any current students could share their timetables with me so I can get a better idea of whats actually involved? how many placements, how often and what sort of hours they are? I realise its a full time degree and will be hard work, but I'm starting to worry that my children won't see much of me for the next 3/4 years!?Thanks
At uni when not on placement are nurses in like 9-5 everyday or does it vary?
How often you are in university is down to the individual university but I'm in 4 days a week. 2 days are pretty much 9-5. One is 9-3 ish but a few gaps in between and one day is a half day unless we need to catch up on anything else etc.
It's hard but you make it work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
How often you are in university is down to the individual university but I'm in 4 days a week. 2 days are pretty much 9-5. One is 9-3 ish but a few gaps in between and one day is a half day unless we need to catch up on anything else etc.
It's hard but you make it work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you, what uni are you at?
Original post by heather1807
At uni when not on placement are nurses in like 9-5 everyday or does it vary?

Depends on the uni, here at sheffield hallam the timetable changes every week, sometimes we might be in 2-3 days a week just for a few hours or sometimes 5 days a week 9-6.
Hi, I was reading your post about the course structure/holidays etc and that really helped thanks! I was hoping to get a part-time job whilst at uni and was wondering with how busy a nursing course is, especially with placements etc if this would be a good idea or not? Thank you!
Anyone currently studying at edge hill doing adult nursing? I saw the 3 year timetable and just wondered what "flexible learning block" was. Its mid august till September but I'm not sure what it means.
Hi, has anyone done their numeracy test at LSBU recently? I'm dreading this!!!
Reply 193
Ho I got accepted to study Midwifery at UEA and I'm just slightly nervous about the written examinations :frown: I struggle with exams. I also feel like I might struggle with the bio to, I don't know why though as I've done A levels and Btecs in it. :/
When you graduate from nursing having a bsc, do you become a band 5 nurse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Did you have any doubts or worries when you first applied to midwifery? I'm slightly worried about the practical side of things where complications might be involved, not the emotional side but the physical side and my confidence in dealing with this. Is this a normal way to feel that goes away once in practice or is a sign I'm making a mistake? I'm so passionate about a career in midwifery and want to do it for so many reasons.
Reply 196
Original post by kas14
Did you have any doubts or worries when you first applied to midwifery? I'm slightly worried about the practical side of things where complications might be involved, not the emotional side but the physical side and my confidence in dealing with this. Is this a normal way to feel that goes away once in practice or is a sign I'm making a mistake? I'm so passionate about a career in midwifery and want to do it for so many reasons.

I start in September and this is a huge worry for me too. It's also very normal. Everyone on my cohort feels the same, it's being put into a completely new environment and for the first time you're being assessed on something other than an exam. It's a skill you develop over time and nobody will force you to do anything you don't want to do x
Reply 197
Original post by LC1996
I start in September and this is a huge worry for me too. It's also very normal. Everyone on my cohort feels the same, it's being put into a completely new environment and for the first time you're being assessed on something other than an exam. It's a skill you develop over time and nobody will force you to do anything you don't want to do x

Ah I'm glad I'm not alone then. I think it's just the fear of the unknown stepping into brand new territory.
Reply 198
Original post by LC1996

Ah I'm glad I'm not alone then. I think it's just the fear of the unknown stepping into brand new territory.
Hi, sorry if this is a silly question, but I will be studying children's nursing in September at Edge Hill & was just wondering what is involved within the placements? Like how hands on will it be what kind of duties will I have to perform? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest