The Student Room Group

TV/Film Production Courses – A Guide

Scroll to see replies

Hello everybody,

I just thought I'd put a quick post up here to try and help any aspiring film students or people looking at the next step having completed a film-studies-type course:

Destiny Ekaragha's first film is being released in cinemas across the UK today, it's called Gone Too Far. She is only the third black female director to complete a feature film through to release! She graduated from her BA (Hons) in Film and Broadcast Production a few years ago and is now receiving rave reviews. Her story is really inspirational and she is living proof that these types of courses (coupled with a lot of hard work, obviously) can really help you to achieve great things. You can find out a little more about her here, if you like.

I hope that's useful to those of you who were considering these kind of courses. Sometimes I think it's nice to see where successful students end up.

Best of luck to you all in your studies,
Simon
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by London Metropolitan University
Hello everybody,

I just thought I'd put a quick post up here to try and help any aspiring film students or people looking at the next step having completed a film-studies-type course:

Destiny Ekaragha's first film is being released in cinemas across the UK today, it's called Gone Too Far. She is only the third black female director to complete a feature film through to release! She graduated from her BA (Hons) in Film and Broadcast Production a few years ago and is now receiving rave reviews. Her story is really inspirational and she is living proof that these types of courses (coupled with a lot of hard work, obviously) can really help you to achieve great things. You can find out a little more about her here, if you like.

I hope that's useful to those of you who were considering these kind of courses. Sometimes I think it's nice to see where successful students end up.

Best of luck to you all in your studies,
Simon

In the same vein, Newport Film School, at the University of South Wales is just celebrating one of our alumni. His name is Phil John and he regularly directs Downton Abbey, Murphy's Law, Being Human and he is just about to make his first feature film. He is doing a talk tomorrow at It's My Shout Productions Festival at the Millenium Centre in Cardiff, Wales. That's a working class lad, proud of his origins and we are proud of where he is going...

Like Simon says above, it requires hard work and dedication, but it is all worth it in the end!

All the best

Jaya
Hi guys,

I'm really unsure how to make my personal statement less of a list of my achievements in film. Can anyone give any examples of what film courses in in-particular are looking for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I am Associate Head of School of Media at the University of South Wales, and the Newport Film School is part of us.

For me, a good personal statement is one where you show your passion and commitment to the subject you want to study. If it is film, talk a little bit about what you are currently studying and how you think that might influence the kinds of films you want to make; express your passion for fim by talking about the productions you have worked on (as you seem to have already done some; if you have never worked on a production but there is something or someone who has inspired you to study film and pursue a career in it, then mention it and explain how they have influenced you) and round up by talking abut your ambition and what you hope to achieve one day. Also, at the end, do not forget to mention any extra-curricular activities that you are pursuing - sometimes, this swings it.

I hope this helps and all the very best in your applications

Jaya
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi all,

I've just started an MA at Bournemouth University in Post-Production Video Editing, and I'm absolutely loving it. The best part for me is being able to work with the other MA courses (Directing, Producing, Script Writing, Cinematography and Radio Production). We all come together to work on feature-length films, dramas, documentaries, anything really!
Definitely worth looking into if you're unsure about where to study a film-making MA. I think they offer similar BA courses too.
Happy to answer any questions about the campus or town if you're interested :smile:

Alice
Hellooo,

I've read through a lot of this post but obviously some of the information is quite dated now.
I've got an interview for (BA) Television Production at Bournemouth next Tuesday; Bournemouth seems to be highlighted as one of the more challenging interviews from the other 4 I've been invited to, does anybody have any advice?
In terms of what questions to expect in the one-on-one? What research I should do prior to the interview? What this written essay is likely to be about?!

Thank you in advance!!!
Hello. Anyone knows anything about University of Edinburgh Film and TV course? How good/bad is it?
Hey,
I am an Indian from New Delhi. I am currently studying in 12th class and i want to become a film director. Right now i am at that stage of my life where every step will decide my future. So, i am hoping that you can suggest me some suggestions on how to opt for film studies after school.

It has been five years that i am learning Hindustani Classical music and has been a year that i am learning guitar. I love photography and i have made a few multi media presentations and short films. My short films are generally based on life and culture. For example last year i made a short film on Durga Puja (A significant festival in Bengal, East India) and a film for my grand father's 91st birthday which was about his love for cooking. I can speak in three languages fluently; English, Hindi and Bengali. I learned German for some years, but i am not that fluent. i watch all sorts of films in Bengali, Hindi and English. I love old Hindi films of Shyam Benegal and old Bengali films of Satyajit Ray. Sometimes i also write film reviews. I have always had a liking for cinema and how it reflects our society. Cinema is one of the powerful ways of communication. If ever i become a film director i would like to tell the people that we are unable to think and work, we still live in a prejudiced and a patriarchal society.. so, what kind of liberalism do we talk about??

I hope i was able to express my thoughts and i am hoping to have your kind suggestions.

Thank you.
I'm applying for a film and television production course at York (BSc), Digital Film Production at Ravensbourne and and royal holloway just wondering if anyone else is there/has any opinions on it!

Also, regarding my UCAS applications, do I need to submit some form of portfolio? Thanks!
Original post by spomelete
I'm applying for a film and television production course at York (BSc), Digital Film Production at Ravensbourne and and royal holloway just wondering if anyone else is there/has any opinions on it!

Also, regarding my UCAS applications, do I need to submit some form of portfolio? Thanks!

Hey again Spomelete,

With your UCAS application you don't submit a portfolio. You are usually required to bring this with you on the day of your interview or emailed to the institution before hand if they ask... a showreel definately will be needed for DFP at Ravensbourne!

Hope that helps :smile:

Bee :h:
Reply 670
Hey, I know you wrote this ages ago but I study Film TV Production in Royal Holloway and I'm not enjoying myself here. Which film schools or unis in London would you recommend?
I'm trying to decide between Hertfordshire, Staffordshire, Anglia Ruskin and Salford. Does anyone have any experiences or opinions of these unis?
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay so I need help. I have been accepted into AUB for film production and Ravensbourne for digital film production. I can not decide. Help please
Reply 673
In terms of the Creative Skillset Tick, on its website Ravensbourne says that its Digital Television Production BA has the Creative Skillset Tick, but on the Creative Skillset website, this particular course is not listed under the courses with its mark of quality (although other Ravensbourne courses are). Does anyone know that this means? Perhaps the course once had the tick mark but now it doesn't? I'm quite confused...

(A direct quote from the Ravensbourne Digital Television Production BA page: "This course is recognised and accredited by Creative Skillset as providing exceptional standards of training in line with industry. The Creative Skillset Tick is a quality mark of quality indicating the courses and apprenticeships best suited to prepare you for a career in the Creative Industries."
Hey guys,
I receiced offers from UEA for film and television production and another offer from Univeristy of Westminster for television production and I'd like to hear your opinions on the 2 unis. I heard that the harrow campus is a bit of an inconvenience for some especially if you aren't able to stay in harrow halls and that the life on campus is pretty plain. Let me know your opinions as it'll help me in making my decision.
Hey!
I'm a Student Ambassador at BU so feel free to ask any questions about the TV and Film Production courses that we have!
Here is a link to our threads:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=341

Alice :smile:
Hi everyone!

Hope you don't mind me posting here, but we've got some residential masterclasses coming up that I thought some of you might be interested in! These are a great way to try out some areas of study and to visit the Surrey campus. You can find all the info about this in the link I included in this post Please note that Media & Comms falls under the 'Social Sciences' masterclass.

Have a lovely week!
-Ashley
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi everyone!

Hope you don't mind me posting here, but we've got some residential masterclasses coming up that I thought some of you might be interested in! These are a great way to try out some areas of study and to visit the Surrey campus. You can find all the info about this in the link I included in this post Please note that Media & Comms falls under the 'Social Sciences' masterclass.

Have a lovely week!
-Ashley

This is a ten year old thread that no applicant has posted in for over 9 months. The majority of people on this thread will have graduated now
Original post by PQ
This is a ten year old thread that no applicant has posted in for over 9 months. The majority of people on this thread will have graduated now

Hey @PQ! Maybe you could recommend a more appropriate/active thread instead? :smile:

Many thanks,
Ashley
Original post by University of Surrey
Hey @PQ! Maybe you could recommend a more appropriate/active thread instead? :smile:

Many thanks,
Ashley

Unfortunately I think you've got your timing a bit wrong. The most active threads at the moment are in the Study Help area as students are preparing for or taking part in exams. It's not really fair or appropriate to push masterclasses on them at this point when their focus should be mainly elsewhere.

I know that's probably not the answer you want. There might be people looking for these sorts of things but they usually start threads asking about summer schools rather than residential masterclasses (and they're likely to struggle to get time off school to go to a midweek residential that takes place during term time) but if you search for recent threads with summer school in the title asking for recommendations you might find someone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending