The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _jake_
Contract is 4hours so I do a shift on Saturday.

Its really annoying that I was left alone, I couldn't find where any of the womans clothing goes:angry:

I'm going to apply at Argos (I saw that they had a pile of application forms) and Pets at home to put my Animal Care diploma to some use. If I want to leave after or before my contract ends, what do I do?:colondollar:

Also when I was clocking out it said my next shift was 8hours so I'll need to ring up and say I can't do the overtime, 4hours is enough of that place:mad:

They really shouldnt left you alone since it will take you longer to find everything and in the end doesnt work for them or you.

They arent very good at asking about over time before they put you in for it... My avilability was only week days and not in the evning yet i got a saturday shift and a 4-8 shift in the evening on a friday... I then tried to talk to my manager and because so many people have left recently he just said tuff.... Make sure you tell them about over time and what you can/cant do face to face since filling in a form/doing it on the next portal doesnt exactly seem to work...

As for leaving. I had to give four weeks notice according to my contract so since im leaving next week I handed it in i think the last week of july just to make sure i gave enough time. However i think thats only because ive been working there more than three months. The best place to look is your contract or ask a someone you work with. I think the best bet would be for you to leave when your contract ends as it gives the best excuse to say you want more contracted hours not just over time when ever they feel like it.
Original post by Skip_Snip
In my shop, the shoes were [*] alongside the till point, right near the clothes, and customers wanting shoes would just grab whoever was around.

One time I was carrying a HUGE pile of clothes when I was clearing the fitting rooms, and some old biddy asked me to get her shoes, I was like "I'm clearly totally free -.- "

[*] I assume it still is, aint worked there in nearly a year :P

I thought someone working in the store had asked him to help... I might of completly read what he wrote wrong :tongue:
I have recently been given a temporary sales assistant job at a busy Next, my contract states that I do 4 hours a week but I have already beeen given 2 overtime shifts even though I only had my first shift last Saturday!
My contract is due to end on the 5th of November but do you think it is likely that they will extend my contract to after Christmas?
I know that they employed loads of temps at the same time as me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 203
Original post by nikki_louise
They really shouldnt left you alone since it will take you longer to find everything and in the end doesnt work for them or you.

They arent very good at asking about over time before they put you in for it... My avilability was only week days and not in the evning yet i got a saturday shift and a 4-8 shift in the evening on a friday... I then tried to talk to my manager and because so many people have left recently he just said tuff.... Make sure you tell them about over time and what you can/cant do face to face since filling in a form/doing it on the next portal doesnt exactly seem to work...

As for leaving. I had to give four weeks notice according to my contract so since im leaving next week I handed it in i think the last week of july just to make sure i gave enough time. However i think thats only because ive been working there more than three months. The best place to look is your contract or ask a someone you work with. I think the best bet would be for you to leave when your contract ends as it gives the best excuse to say you want more contracted hours not just over time when ever they feel like it.

Exactly my thinking, its very annoying. Its taking me a long time to find where anything goes and they seem to be getting pi$$y.

My contract states one week, depending on if I get offered another job with the other places taking Xmas temps on, I'll hand my notice in on the last week of Sep. Can I leave before my contract ends?

I don't want the over-time they are adding to my shifts, I'll be getting stressed out and I don't need it considering I'm starting college this week, education is more important. I don't NEED the money so I might just stick to my 4 hours, afterall, I don't have to do overtime (I think)?

I thought someone working in the store had asked him to help... I might of completly read what he wrote wrong :tongue:

You're correct.:biggrin:
Reply 204
Original post by Rose.1994
I have recently been given a temporary sales assistant job at a busy Next, my contract states that I do 4 hours a week but I have already beeen given 2 overtime shifts even though I only had my first shift last Saturday!
My contract is due to end on the 5th of November but do you think it is likely that they will extend my contract to after Christmas?
I know that they employed loads of temps at the same time as me.

My advice?

I'm a sane person, get me out of here!

:colone:
Original post by _jake_
Exactly my thinking, its very annoying. Its taking me a long time to find where anything goes and they seem to be getting pi$$y.

My contract states one week, depending on if I get offered another job with the other places taking Xmas temps on, I'll hand my notice in on the last week of Sep. Can I leave before my contract ends?

I don't want the over-time they are adding to my shifts, I'll be getting stressed out and I don't need it considering I'm starting college this week, education is more important. I don't NEED the money so I might just stick to my 4 hours, afterall, I don't have to do overtime (I think)?

You're correct.:biggrin:

No you dont have to do over time- they might get a bit annoyed but thats not your fault.

You could leave before your contract ends but i would hold out just so you have some experience to put on a cv if needed in the future and it isnt that much longer... although i understand wanting to go- i cant wait to leave :tongue:

Glad im correct :smile: stand by the fact they shouldnt take you to work somewhere else that your not even meant to be working on just because they havent got enough people to work there. Its different if a customer asks as you can direct them elsewhere
Original post by _jake_
My advice?

I'm a sane person, get me out of here!

:colone:

Haha I can see where you're coming from
But I just want the money!!
Reply 207
No you dont have to do over time- they might get a bit annoyed but thats not your fault.

You could leave before your contract ends but i would hold out just so you have some experience to put on a cv if needed in the future and it isnt that much longer... although i understand wanting to go- i cant wait to leave :tongue:

Glad im correct :smile: stand by the fact they shouldnt take you to work somewhere else that your not even meant to be working on just because they havent got enough people to work there. Its different if a customer asks as you can direct them elsewhere

I'm going to stick it out and leave at the end, It may get better but it really isn't want I want to do; I'd prefer to work out on the shop floor. I'm planning on grabbing a few application forms tomorrow, I hope I get a job at Pets at Home..... I'm a fish nerd:cool:

Original post by Rose.1994
Haha I can see where you're coming from
But I just want the money!!

Good luck:biggrin:
Original post by Jo-Yanne
I didn't have my interview in the actual store as it wasn't ready. But the lady who was interviewing me said the practical would be to choose any item from the Home catalogue and try sell it to her. Then she picked one item for me to try and sell to her. That was basically it. However, I'm guessing the practical may be slightly different if you were iterviewed in the store.

Original post by Skip_Snip
I didn't have a practical, I was a sales assistant in Womenswear and Childrenswear, I heard some had to pick out an outfit, but whatever reason I just had the 1-2-1 talkie interview :smile:

I also had a practical interview but it wasnt like either of yours. Mine was the worst out of the 3 i'd say!! :frown: :frown: I would've prefered either of yours especially choosing an outfit :/

I had to work in a specific area of the shop and go round asking the customers if they needed help and were ok.... This was a complete waste of time as nobody needed help and were probably just a bit annoyed with me asking them :/ Plus im very shy so it wasnt the easiest of tasks.... :frown:

You can probably guess I didnt get the job!! :frown:
Reply 209
Original post by BeccaCath94
I also had a practical interview but it wasnt like either of yours. Mine was the worst out of the 3 i'd say!! :frown: :frown: I would've prefered either of yours especially choosing an outfit :/

I had to work in a specific area of the shop and go round asking the customers if they needed help and were ok.... This was a complete waste of time as nobody needed help and were probably just a bit annoyed with me asking them :/ Plus im very shy so it wasnt the easiest of tasks.... :frown:

You can probably guess I didnt get the job!! :frown:

Sorry to hear that you didn't get it. I'm guessing the practical interview varies from store to store. I had the normal 1-2-1 interview and the practical in the same room. I don't think your practical was a good way to conduct a practical interview as it doesn't really give you the opportunity to show any selling skills unless someone does need help :/ ... Things may have been different if you had been given a different task.
Original post by Jo-Yanne
Sorry to hear that you didn't get it. I'm guessing the practical interview varies from store to store. I had the normal 1-2-1 interview and the practical in the same room. I don't think your practical was a good way to conduct a practical interview as it doesn't really give you the opportunity to show any selling skills unless someone does need help :/ ... Things may have been different if you had been given a different task.

Aww thank you :smile: Dont think it was the job for me anyway.... :P
Yeah it probably does... :/ I dont know if it matters but I was at a clearance store... No i dont think it was that good... :/ :/ Plus i'm quite shy so... :frown: Maybe yeah :smile:
Reply 211
Bit of a weird question but do Next have a reputation for being hard to get a job with? I've been told a couple of times by people when asked where I work that they've heard it's really hard to get hired with them..
Original post by Shuvel
Bit of a weird question but do Next have a reputation for being hard to get a job with? I've been told a couple of times by people when asked where I work that they've heard it's really hard to get hired with them..

I would say they were the hardest employee ive been with. I did orginally go for an interview last year but didnt get the job where as this year i managed to get it- it was for exactly the same post as well!

I dont think it helps that they often interview a lot of people in the first place for a few jobs which might be a factor?
Reply 213
I've just got offered a job in next. I was told I would get a clothing allowance. Do you still get one for a stock room assistant and how often do you get the allowance? Also when do you get paid, is it montly or 4 weekly etc?
Original post by Keeeerri
I've just got offered a job in next. I was told I would get a clothing allowance. Do you still get one for a stock room assistant and how often do you get the allowance? Also when do you get paid, is it montly or 4 weekly etc?

When next advertise a stock room assistant job you could end up being a replener or a delivery person. A replener will get a clothes allowance depending on how many hours you are contracted. I think mine was around £75 and I was contracted 8 hours. You get it twice a year and its basically 75% off the clothing allowance amount you are given. So make sure you spread it out...

If you are a delivery person you get a certain amount at 75% off (not sure how much) to spend on dark jeans. You get given a fleece and polo shirt since you wont ever be on the shop floor.

In addition if its a full time contract you will have to buy shoes from your allowance as well. If you are part-time then you do not have to wear next shoes which ever your role is.

It is monthly around the 26th or 28th of each month- I cant quite remember but if the date falls on a sunday it will be slightly earlier.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Keeeerri

You get an allowance every season, and it is 75% off items.
You get paid on the 26th of each month, but if that falls on a weekend or public holiday you get paid on the working day before it
Reply 216
My contract finished a few days ago, sad times :sad:
Reply 217
I leave 2 weeks on Wednesday. YESSSSSSSSSS CAN'T WAIT.

Love the people I work with, so bored of the job now.
what are next's biggest competitors? - i put river island, topman not sure about 3rd.
Also, best way to stay up to date with fashion- i put internet, magazines and family and friends? :s-smilie:

quite confused atm, really need this job, i am pretty sure abt the other answers :/
help!
Original post by Crescentarian28
what are next's biggest competitors? - i put river island, topman not sure about 3rd.

I'm not too sure about those, because they have different target audiences, River Island and Top(Shop/Man) are for younger people, and Next is like more mature. John Lewis is a more likely contender

I would say, in terms of prestige and popularity the two you mentioned, but by target audiene John Lewis :smile:

Quick Reply