The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Well done, you must be so pleased! I am going to be checking my emails constantly now...! X
Reply 181
Original post by Rach_L
30!??! oh no that is terrifying!! I suppose if you get an interview atleast you will have more chance of being remembered... any idea when they are going to get back to us? X

Oops missed this message. I met some current SLT students at Reading and they told me only 30 of them were interviewed
Original post by Rach_L
Well done, you must be so pleased! I am going to be checking my emails constantly now...! X

I may have squealed a little! Fingers crossed for you guys! x
Original post by lux*
Essex don't have a deadline. January should be fine but try to submit as soon as you can :smile:

Anyone know how many places Essex have? I might apply last minute!!
Reply 183
Been checking my emails hoping to hear from reading and just got an email with an essex interview :smile:

Its not till 1st march though..all this waiting is painful! X
Reply 184
Essex interview too! Just can't find the date..

edit: 26th of April. That's late! Guessing they interview in order of preference (document didn't open properly in Pages or OpenOffice, in case some of you have the same problem)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by lux*
Essex interview too! Just can't find the date..

edit: 26th of April. That's late! Guessing they interview in order of preference (document didn't open properly in Pages of OpenOffice, in case some of you have the same problem)

Well done lux* :biggrin:
x
I've recieved an offer from QMU and I have an interview at Essex on the 1st March.

I'd prefer to go to a uni in England due to the funding avaliable, but I don't want to wait and loose my offer at QMU =[[
Reply 187
Original post by Pixie_90
Hello everyone :smile: :smile:

I'm relatively new to TSR ..

Quick Question: Does anyone know when the deadline for Essex is?

Do you think leaving it till Jan to apply would be too late? .. I'm just tied down with so much work atm and panicing that I've left filling in the application too late ..

:s

I can't say about this year but when I applied (I am a student there now) the deadline was 31st April. I would apply as soon as possible though. The sooner you apply the sooner/ more likely you will get an interview. They allocate interviews and places as they go along so the earlier you get it in, the more places there will be for interview and on the course.

I also remember when I applied... they knew I was planning to apply as I had spoken to them a few times but I had left it quite late. They rang me up in February and told me to apply as soon as possible because they were thinking of bringing the deadline forward as they had had so many applications. I don't know if they did or not because I got it in asap after that, but just be careful or you might miss out!

Original post by SarahDuffy
Anyone know how many places Essex have? I might apply last minute!!

30 places but see above re: applying last minute!
Reply 188
Original post by EmmaMcGill
I've recieved an offer from QMU and I have an interview at Essex on the 1st March.

I'd prefer to go to a uni in England due to the funding avaliable, but I don't want to wait and loose my offer at QMU =[[

Hi Emma, I was in the same position - you can just accept your offer at QMU and you can still drop out if you get a place in England :smile: It's not like accepting an offer is legally binding.
Original post by juliamcgowan26
On a completely different note - is anyone else fed up with people telling you that there are no jobs for SLTs? it's actually starting to worry me now!!

Yes! I am worried about this too. I was unemployed after graduating this year - right up until October, and it was a horrible, unstable time to be honest (although I *did* manage to get lots of relevant volunteering done which was a positive thing) and don't ever want to go through that again - I never in a million years thought I would be out of work for so long. I've been freaking out and even wondering if I made the right decision applying for the MSc/PG Diploma because employment prospects are so bad right now. I'm just hoping things might improve....
Reply 190
Original post by paperlily3
Yes! I am worried about this too. I was unemployed after graduating this year - right up until October, and it was a horrible, unstable time to be honest (although I *did* manage to get lots of relevant volunteering done which was a positive thing) and don't ever want to go through that again - I never in a million years thought I would be out of work for so long. I've been freaking out and even wondering if I made the right decision applying for the MSc/PG Diploma because employment prospects are so bad right now. I'm just hoping things might improve....

I was the same, I went through an extremely rough time jobs wise and I was actually getting to be quite depressed. The worst part about it was that I was offered a relevant job but it fell through... then about a month later I was offered a really relevant, interesting job and signed the contract and completed the CRB process (which took a month)... then they called and told me that their funding had been cut and the job was no longer mine! I cried for about a day! (and I don't usually cry!). I got lots of volunteering done too though and luckily that's what kept me *vaguely* positive because if I had just been sat around doing nothing it would have been a hundred times worse! xx
Original post by paperlily3

oh dear! Glad you have found a job now though! Fingers crossed that it gets better over the next few years! What do you do now?
People who would like to go QMU, how are you planning on funding it?
Original post by Claire-H
I was the same, I went through an extremely rough time jobs wise and I was actually getting to be quite depressed. The worst part about it was that I was offered a relevant job but it fell through... then about a month later I was offered a really relevant, interesting job and signed the contract and completed the CRB process (which took a month)... then they called and told me that their funding had been cut and the job was no longer mine! I cried for about a day! (and I don't usually cry!). I got lots of volunteering done too though and luckily that's what kept me *vaguely* positive because if I had just been sat around doing nothing it would have been a hundred times worse! xx

Wow, that must have been really disappointing! I can't imagine having gone through that. I remember every lead I got I clung on to so much, so to have lost it when you thought the job was yours must have been hard. I was getting fairly depressed as well. At university you're constantly inspired and challenged, and to finish and find yourself with what feels like no opportunities is tough isn't it. I found it hard to accept that I couldn't find a job, when I've consistently been in some kind of employment since I was 14, my CV is up to date with references, I have a good variety of different experience and skills I've gained from many jobs that I've had, and from volunteering. And of course, I have a degree... Argh! It is VERY tough out there at the moment.

I'm the same as you in that i *can't* sit around doing nothing!

By the way.. I got rejected from UCL too (found out today). I didn't have my hopes up for that one though. I think Reading and UCL are the most competitive of the ones that I (well, we, actually!) applied for. I really can't think how they decide between applicants. Your experience and enthusiasm stands out and I'm very surprised they didn't interview you. Now just to wait for the others... Keep your chin up :smile: x
Original post by juliamcgowan26
oh dear! Glad you have found a job now though! Fingers crossed that it gets better over the next few years! What do you do now?

Yeah, fingers firmly crossed! I am now a Support Worker. I work for The Disabilities Trust supporting adults who have autism. Most of them are completely non-verbal so it's a very interesting job! The experience I am getting now is excellent, I just wish I had got this job in about June, not November!

I also had a job as a Supervisor in a clothes shop before I got this job.. but only did that for about 5 weeks.
Reply 195
Hi Guys, has anyone else heard anything from Reading yet? I am getting nervous now we know they have started giving interviews out as they are my first choice...just wondering if anyone else was still waiting to hear from them? X
Reply 196
Original post by Rach_L
Hi Guys, has anyone else heard anything from Reading yet? I am getting nervous now we know they have started giving interviews out as they are my first choice...just wondering if anyone else was still waiting to hear from them? X

Hi - I've not heard anything from them yet either and they're my first choice too. I did check the student portal though today and it still said no decision yet... I have my fingers crossed!!
Reply 197
Original post by pimpom
Hi - I've not heard anything from them yet either and they're my first choice too. I did check the student portal though today and it still said no decision yet... I have my fingers crossed!!

Yep I keep checking the portal too and nothing. I'm just worried if they are only giving 30 interviews out you would almost think they would just send them all out in one day....hopefully I have got that wrong though...fingers crossed for us both! I did get an email from them this morning saying 'you have been short-listed....' and got so over exciting before reading it properly and realising it was for the undergrad course.

Oooh just re-read a few posts and realised you have applied to everywhere else too like me! (I didn't go for Newcastle though because it is sooo far away from me and I would prefer to stay in the south!) Are you just waiting on Sheff and Reading too? x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by Rach_L
Yep I keep checking the portal too and nothing. I'm just worried if they are only giving 30 interviews out you would almost think they would just send them all out in one day....hopefully I have got that wrong though...fingers crossed for us both! I did get an email from them this morning saying 'you have been short-listed....' and got so over exciting before reading it properly and realising it was for the undergrad course.

Oooh just re-read a few posts and realised you have applied to everywhere else too like me! (I didn't go for Newcastle though because it is sooo far away from me and I would prefer to stay in the south!) Are you just waiting on Sheff and Reading too? x

I would prefer to stay South-ish too but decided I'd apply everywhere to maximise my chances! Just waiting on Sheff, Reading and also City who don't interview though so not expecting to hear anything from them till January!
Reply 199
Original post by Claire-H
Well done lux* :biggrin:
x

Thanks Claire! How come you didn't apply to Essex? (I don't think I saw it mentioned in your posts anyway?)

Quick Reply

Latest