The Student Room Group

Panorama highlights racism in football

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by prog2djent
Anybody can be a nazi.

I remember when we had two holocaust survivors come to our school that kept stressing to people "stop saying Germans, they were Nazi's from all over europe".

I know, but the way I see it it's like me supporting the slave trade.
Reply 21
Can't believe some people are justifying nazi salutes by saying "well black people are racist as well" or "they just don't want their country over run by foreigners".

Original post by jam277
As a black guy, I think these things happen, I bet you that they probably just found the worst games and had been filming quite a few games, you have loads of racist muppets in many countries, spain, italy are good examples, remember the case of the spanish manager calling henry a black **** which was swept under the rug, remember kameni getting peanuts thrown at him?

Although polish guys doing nazi salutes should be sterilized, I don't know how stupid you can be to support a group that terrorized your country 70 years ago.

I have watched a lot of Spanish, Italian and English football. While there are occasional racist incidents they are extremely rare and none of them have been on the level of two thousand people doing Nazi salutes while shouting "Sieg Heil".
Reply 22
Original post by fudgesundae
Can't believe some people are justifying nazi salutes by saying "well black people are racist as well" or "they just don't want their country over run by foreigners".

I have watched a lot of Spanish, Italian and English football. While there are occasional racist incidents they are extremely rare and none of them have been on the level of two thousand people doing Nazi salutes while shouting "Sieg Heil".

Fascism is ok so long as its not directed at me!
Reply 23
Why is it only in football, and in mainly Europe that you get this type of fanaticism in sport?
Reply 24
Original post by Carecup
Fascism is ok so long as its not directed at me!

haha so true +1 :biggrin:
Original post by -Neuro-
Crimes against people who are short, tall or fat people woudn't be classes as racism, as people of any race can be short, tall or fat. Surely they would just be categorised as hate crimes or crimes?

Yeah, I was being a bit sarcastic :smile:
Original post by Aaron_xyz
Why is it only in football, and in mainly Europe that you get this type of fanaticism in sport?

People go nuts about Football in Africa and Asia too.
Reply 27
Original post by AkaJetson
People go nuts about Football in Africa and Asia too.

There are as many ultras-style groups and people making Nazi salutes in African and Asian football matches?

Maybe there are people who are crazy about football in Africa and Asia too, but a quick google search tells me its much more apparent and documented in Europe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Theoneoranro
Really? Well you must be some kind of an idiot because if you walked infront of those hooligans you would get your ass kicked and sent to hospital (at the VERY least). These guys are racist, those blacks in detroit aren't racist.

They may well be, but does that even matter here?
Are people not watching the same documentary? Asian people got beat up although they were supporting the same team? People supporting a group that terrorised their own country? People yelling obscenities just because of skin colour?
This isn't stupidity, this is scary :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by PimpinisEasy
1) These black criminals target white people because they're seen as a soft target. I am asian and I lived in a black area, a white guy who lived in the same area was mugged ten times, i was not mugged once. Whites are seen as easy prey.

2) If the Ukranians do not see their capital city transformed into a majority foreign population I cannot blame them.

3) I'd sooner walk near those hooligans than in detroit.

If they don't want foreigners coming to watch their games they can close the borders and not bid for international tournaments.
It was quite an eye-opener. I had previously only watched Ross Kemp's documentary about football violence in a Polish city (I think it was Warsaw) and how the opposing teams used anti-Semitic motifs and insulted each other by referring to Jews and blacks.

The most shocking part by a long mile was not the uniformity of the uneducated, animal-like racists all throwing their arms up and praising Hitler, but the sheer temerity of the Polish policeman who tried to deny that the salutes were Nazi salutes, instead trying to say that by some feat of mind-reading several hundred people all "pointed to the opposite team" at the same time. The way his shifty eyes could not get away from the camera fast enough told you everything you need to know about this kind of public official - he is corrupt, is not afraid to lie, and would prefer to sweep issues like this under the carpet than actually confront them.

Sickening.
The neo-nazis have a point.

On one of Ross Kemp's programmes he interviewed a Russian neo-nazi and they're racism is based on the fact they want to keep their country from becoming like America.

Who can argue with them?

America is a hotbed of racism, crime, violence, rapes, muggings, gangs, murder, shootings etc and the vast majority of that is thanks to the blacks and latinos. America is proof that multi-culturism doesn't work.

Regards

The White Queen
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by The_White_Queen

On one of Ross Kemp's programmes he interviewed a Russian neo-nazi and they're racism is based on the fact they want to keep their country from becoming like America.

Who can argue with them?

America is a hotbed of racism, crime, violence, rapes, muggings, gangs, murder, shootings etc and the vast majority of that is thanks to the blacks and latinos. America is proof that multi-culturism doesn't work.

100% agree with you
I reckon Sol Campbell was being a bit racist by telling ethnic minorities not to go to the Euros because of white supremacist hooligans, to be honest.

It's exactly the same as a white guy telling white guys not to go to the South Africa World Cup because the blacks will get them.

Which regardless of the crime levels in that country, no one would deny that is an incredibly racist thing to say.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by marcusfox
I reckon Sol Campbell was being a bit racist by telling ethnic minorities not to go to the Euros because of white supremacist hooligans, to be honest.

It's exactly the same as a white guy telling white guys not to go to the South Africa World Cup because the blacks will get them.

Which regardless of the crime levels in that country, no one would deny that is an incredibly racist thing to say.

You've hit the maximum amount of stupidity that any human can possibly reach. What you said is so incredibly stupid that I don't even know how to tell you how stupid it is. Congratulations, you beat me.
Reply 35
Original post by The_White_Queen

Who can argue with them?

Tolerant, intelligent people is the answer to that question.

If the people currently occupying the country are like those portrayed in the video then anybody coming to their country immediately improves it.

Multiculturalism involves the mixing of cultures and peoples of different races. That is the complete opposite of what you have in America. Over there you have very isolated communities, with solely black people or solely latino people. This serves no benefit to the country and simply leads to racial tensions which lead to the things you mentioned.

Seeing as how multiculturalism hardly exists in America, I fail to see how it is proof that it doesn't work.

Didn't he actually advise all England fans to stay at home? I haven't seen any mention of ethnic minorities in his interview (that was the Home Office's advice).

It could get pretty nasty for all England fans. Sky Sports News did a little investigation into these 'Ultras' and found that they were training their members for fights with all sets of England fans, as they see England fans as 'the ones to beat'.
I felt sick watching this.
The fact that they even got the Euros is a joke, when racist groups trained who are so organised are so closely associated with football it's irresponsible to hold the euros there. If they can't guarantee the safety of fans or players purely just because of their skin color then it should be held somewhere else. Watching those poor Asian men get beat was so upsetting, and they were supporting the home team!
Original post by Theoneoranro
You've hit the maximum amount of stupidity that any human can possibly reach. What you said is so incredibly stupid that I don't even know how to tell you how stupid it is. Congratulations, you beat me.

Of course it is, if you live in a world where only white people can be racist.

Judging by some of your other posts on TSR you clearly believe that to be the case.
Original post by fudgesundae

Didn't he actually advise all England fans to stay at home? I haven't seen any mention of ethnic minorities in his interview (that was the Home Office's advice).

Well, firstly this is a thread about Panorama going on about racism in football.

Secondly, black footballers don't go on TV with associated clips of skinhead thugs attacking asians if the main issue they want to highlight is white people attacking other white people.

It doesn't quite have the juicyness and TV shock factor of white people attacking ethnic minorities.

But even so, lets adjust it in your favour.

Imagine a white footballer telling all fans not to go to the World Cup in South Africa (a majority black country) because they risk ending up coming home in a body bag, people would be slinging accusations of racism, you can be sure of that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Well, firstly this is a thread about Panorama going on about racism in football.

Secondly, black footballers don't go on TV with associated clips of skinhead thugs attacking asians if the main issue they want to highlight is white people attacking other white people.

It doesn't quite have the juicyness and TV shock factor of white people attacking ethnic minorities.

But even so, lets adjust it in your favour.

Imagine a white footballer telling all fans not to go to the World Cup in South Africa (a majority black country) because they risk ending up coming home in a body bag, people would be slinging accusations of racism, you can be sure of that.

There is no need to adjust it in my favour, that is what he said.

Not really, it is well known that white people must be very careful when travelling in some of the poorer parts of SA. But simply by using common sense, one's risk can be severely reduced (sticking to well lit areas, not going out too late, not getting absolutely hammered etc.)

The video has shown that fans going to this tournament could be in danger simply by stepping into the stadium to support their team.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending