The Student Room Group

Media Studies WJEC MS4 Help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by shookthetrees
So your saying A: Genre? I hope not, theres no theories to do with genre. Hopefully the other option will be narrative! :smile:

For my other two industries (i plan to answer A on my film industry) I want regulation for Adverts and digital marketing/promotion on TV!

Fingers crossed.

There are a lot of genre theories!

Steve Neale repetition and difference

John Fiske generic conventions 'embody the crucial ideological concerns of the time in which they are popular'

John Hartley 'genres are agents of ideological closure - they limit the meaning-potential of a given text'

Ira Konigsberg suggests that enduring genres reflect 'universal dilemmas' and 'moral conflicts' and appeal to deep psychological needs

Christian Metz 4 stages of genre development: classical, experimental, parody, and deconstruction.

Abercrombie Television producers set out to exploit genre

David Buckingham "Genre is not simply given by the culture, rather, it is in a constant process of negotiation and change."

WOW thank you! We've done theories for audience and narrative but definitely missed these babies! :P
My teacher also thinks that their will be a digital technology marketing/promotion question actually pushed it loads... maybe theyve been told something?

I hope so, its quite an easy question especially with the TV industry with fan sits, websites, facebook, downloads etc.
My teacher also thinks that their will be a digital technology marketing/promotion question actually pushed it loads... maybe theyve been told something?

I hope so, its quite an easy question especially with the TV industry with fan sits, websites, facebook, downloads etc.

It could do as it's only been used once. If a technology question comes up, I'd use the music texts (Lady Gaga, Girls Aloud and The Sex Pistols). I could talk about tons of stuff, especially Lady Gaga
Reply 64
My teachers basically told us we HAVE to write about newspapers for Section A, but I can't see a way to link it to genre? (We havent mentioned genre all year) Any ideas?
Original post by megan.cl
My teachers basically told us we HAVE to write about newspapers for Section A, but I can't see a way to link it to genre? (We havent mentioned genre all year) Any ideas?

Really? I have no idea of how you could link newspapers to genre. You could talk about representation in the newspapers but it wouldn't suit genre/narrative.
Reply 66
ANYONE WHO IS DOING COMEDY OR INBETWEENERS - what would be iconography for comedy? I cannot think of anything :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 67

Hmm maybe! Some teachers love to discuss these things, so maybe they have their own little forum too, and mine's an ex-examiner so it could be a hobby :tongue:

If technology comes up I'll probably do newspapers, depending on the other questions in the other sections. Weirdly I'm looking forward to this exam.

I would ignore them. This is your exam. Pick what you feel most confident writing about! I can't see how genre really relates to newspapers at all.

Personally for genre I'd stick to film. I don't know about your texts, but I'm sure my teacher specifically chose texts that hybridized genre to give my class things to waffle about :tongue:
Reply 68
Original post by Becs261093
ANYONE WHO IS DOING COMEDY OR INBETWEENERS - what would be iconography for comedy? I cannot think of anything :frown:

We looked at The Inbetweeners being a sit-com and not just a comedy. I don't know if this will apply to you so...

There's no real obvious iconography (like props or costumes) but humour is created by:

The use of stereotypes (you can waffle about the representation of characters here)

Repeated catchphrases/jokes "bus ****er" "clunge" :colone:

Humour from challenging norms and social expectations

And the only other notes I have about The Inbetweeners are probably irrelevant to you as we mostly looked at the representations of the main characters/females/parents, along with the typical conventions of sit-coms.
Reply 69
Original post by OliviaVW
We looked at The Inbetweeners being a sit-com and not just a comedy. I don't know if this will apply to you so...

There's no real obvious iconography (like props or costumes) but humour is created by:

The use of stereotypes (you can waffle about the representation of characters here)

Repeated catchphrases/jokes "bus ****er" "clunge" :colone:

Humour from challenging norms and social expectations

And the only other notes I have about The Inbetweeners are probably irrelevant to you as we mostly looked at the representations of the main characters/females/parents, along with the typical conventions of sit-coms.

Thank you :biggrin: thought I was going mad not being able to think of any lol

Reply 70

I would ignore them. This is your exam. Pick what you feel most confident writing about! I can't see how genre really relates to newspapers at all.

Personally for genre I'd stick to film. I don't know about your texts, but I'm sure my teacher specifically chose texts that hybridized genre to give my class things to waffle about :tongue:

My other texts are Music (beyonce, gaga and arctic monkeys) and radio (radio 1, absollute radio and a local station)

So none of them relate to genre as far as i can see... My teacher hasnt taught us about distibution, global, or regulations... plus with no theories for anything (though im trying to learn) But surely this puts me at a huge disadvantage?
Reply 71
My other texts are Music (beyonce, gaga and arctic monkeys) and radio (radio 1, absollute radio and a local station)

So none of them relate to genre as far as i can see... My teacher hasnt taught us about distibution, global, or regulations... plus with no theories for anything (though im trying to learn) But surely this puts me at a huge disadvantage?

Wow.. yeah, because question A may not be relatable to any of these - that's ridiculous! I would of thought music/radio would fall under the same umbrella :confused:

Have you learnt about genres within music or anything like that? It seems a bit weird to pick these categories, because film/tv are so easy in comparison! Did you not do any practice questions in class to "realise" this earlier? What exactly did you learn about these texts?

I don't really know what to suggest - I've just tried to find a list of acceptable industries and I can't find it. So who knows, maybe they're allowed to use those 3 industries, in which case you're not at a disadvantage.

I'd suggest asking your teacher, along with anyone who did it the year before (if you knew anyone) and then contacting WJEC to see what they say.

:dontknow:

Edit - as a side note, did you not include theory in your coursework essay?! Mine made me include so much. What did you get on coursework? Because it's split 50/50
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
Wow.. yeah, because question A may not be relatable to any of these - that's ridiculous! I would of thought music/radio would fall under the same umbrella :confused

I got 81 out of 100 in coursework (i think) , which is hopefully an A but i still will need to get an A in the exam for an A overall (what i need for uni). The only theory i did in my coursework was about global villiages really...

And we've only ever really practiced introductions in lesson so i never really realised untill i looked at past questions myself.

And they are allowed to do these other industries i just dont think its very popular as such :/

All we've really learnt is for music - about how Gaga uses social networking, Beyonce is idol-ised and the Arctic Monkeys are typically "indie". For Radio its that Radio 1 is owned by the BBC (so what the BBC stand for), Absolute radio has spin off stations, and the local station uses Twitter etc.

Just going to have to improvise i guess :smile:
Reply 73
I got 81 out of 100 in coursework (i think) , which is hopefully an A but i still will need to get an A in the exam for an A overall (what i need for uni). The only theory i did in my coursework was about global villiages really...

And we've only ever really practiced introductions in lesson so i never really realised untill i looked at past questions myself.

And they are allowed to do these other industries i just dont think its very popular as such :/

All we've really learnt is for music - about how Gaga uses social networking, Beyonce is idol-ised and the Arctic Monkeys are typically "indie". For Radio its that Radio 1 is owned by the BBC (so what the BBC stand for), Absolute radio has spin off stations, and the local station uses Twitter etc.

Just going to have to improvise i guess :smile:

81 is great! You're already going into that exam with about 40% for sure :smile:

Yeah, it's a very odd choice of industries. I'm sure that makes more sense to you, but it means absolutely nothing to me - I'd be totally stumped xD We never did any in class, it was more them giving us a list of questions for study leave, and handing them in to be marked if we wanted to.

Anyway I think you'll be fine as my teacher & shookthetree's reckons technology will come up! Plus they give you two choices for question A, so if genre does come up, they'll most likely pair it with a representation question, which you can answer no problem.
Hoping for a representation question in section A and a nice marketing/ promotion and how does it appeal/attract audience for B *fingers crossed*

They did distribution last year so praying that doesnt come up!
Reply 75
Does anyone know how to structure a typical answer for industry, this hasn't been used yet and worried it will come up :confused:
Reply 76
Original post by Moscardini
Hoping for a representation question in section A and a nice marketing/ promotion and how does it appeal/attract audience for B *fingers crossed*

They did distribution last year so praying that doesnt come up!

They did distribution in January i really can't see it being set again hopefully!
Reply 77
industry is quite simple and you shouldn't worry about for example if the question was "how effective is regualation on your chosen industry?"

you would start with an intro to what your industry is and and list all the regulatory bodies for example T.V =OFCOM, watershed etc
you would then name your 3 chosen tv show for example eastenders, top boy and new girl<<<<< my chosen 3---you say how they are individually regulated, eastenders belongs to BBC which has its own regulatory board etc and you give examples of action taken by these regulatory boards and then say if they were effective in any way.
then you write a whole paragraph on ways people can get around the regulatory bodies e.g catch up tv in relation to age content
and then you give your conclusion of the overall essay of whether or not you feel the chosen industry is effectively regulated or not

hope this helps------------- i will also be sitting this exam on friday and i believe a regulation question will be coming up-------good luck :smile:
For "regulation" you definitely want to talk about ASA if you are doing adverts.
Reply 79
Does ANYONE have any information on the radio industry? Perhaps for a regulations question, or any other question for that matter...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending