The Student Room Group

AQA FP2 Jan 20th Discussion

Hey, just creating this thread because I've not seen one for this exam yet. I thought we could talk about it afterwards.

I don't know anyone else sitting this exam so I wont be able to get anyone else's opinion on it.

Lets hope for a nice paper!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm doing this paper too. I'm hoping for a really nice straightforward paper. I heard the June 2011 paper was really awful, so I'm kind of worried.

What topics do you think are the hardest? I find integration to be a bit of a problem, and I don't like those weirdy De Moivre questions.
Reply 2
Yeah the June 2011 paper was a lot harder than the others, but the grade boundaries were really low as well.

I am usually fine with De Moivre questions but I find I also mess up the integration questions sometimes, usually if they require the use of many of the identities. Other than that the last two papers have had some roots of polynomial questions which I have found really difficult which is strange because they are normally one of the easiest bits.

Hoping for above 90 UMS but I'm not sure it will happen.
Hey guys, im sitting the exam today too. Don't really have a preference for what comes up, well except that we don't get asked to show that something on an argand diagram is true. Just hoping to be able to spot the tricks to the difficult questions in a timely fashion :tongue:.
Could literally have a go at 4 of the 8 questions, whilst the others were merely guesses. Honestly, they were just asking things in a format that I'd never seen before (ie not in past papers or within the big aqa textbook). Wanted to cry.
Anyone else think it was a harsh paper? Found the de Moivres question with the p and the q really hard and the last question was just ARGH.
Original post by elementosaurus
Could literally have a go at 4 of the 8 questions, whilst the others were merely guesses. Honestly, they were just asking things in a format that I'd never seen before (ie not in past papers or within the big aqa textbook). Wanted to cry.

Same! Just didn't understand so much of it, and panicked so much that the bits I could do (or could at least attempt) that I think I got those wrong as well.
Reply 7
Messed up the second question completely because of the way they wrote it, and things only got worse from there. Definately looking at a U or at best an E
holy crap maaaan! definitely the hardest fp2 paper out of all the other years!!!! >:frown:
Wtf was even that second question? The Re(z) = 0 ? I assumed it meant the x-axis and y-axis? The demoivres one, i used the rule things cos(a+b) and sin(a+b) to get p= pi/2 and q= -pi/2. Seemed reasonable?
Reply 10
I got 2 and 3 for P and Q, by comparing real and imaginary coefficiants
I think that Re(z)=0 meant that the real part of z was 0, therefore circle was touching the y-axis with a radius of 6? But yeah, it was a weird Loci question. And the what did you people get for the centre?
Original post by elementosaurus
Wtf was even that second question? The Re(z) = 0 ? I assumed it meant the x-axis and y-axis? The demoivres one, i used the rule things cos(a+b) and sin(a+b) to get p= pi/2 and q= -pi/2. Seemed reasonable?

same hereeeee! what did u get for ur centre? i got 3root3 + 3i... same for demoivres but ended up with pi/8p + pi/12q = pi/2 for both real & imaginary parts ;( ;(
Reply 13
Just so you know, I took Core 4 in June last year which was way harder than usual too. You needed 65/75 to get 100 UMS in that paper and about 53 for 90 UMS. In this paper I expect the grade boundaries will be the same or even lower.

Another person I know who took this paper has an offer to study Maths at Cambridge and he said he thinks he has never failed an exam so badly in his entire life. It won't be as bad as you think.
Original post by Wisham
I got 2 and 3 for P and Q, by comparing real and imaginary coefficiants

I got p=1 and q=2 by the doing the same thing, I think :'( I went for putting both into exponential form, then using the rules of powers to simplify, then back into cos and isin form, then equating. But I think i fudged it...
Original post by ebmaj7
(cosπ12+isinπ8)p(cosπ8+isinπ12)q=i\dfrac{(\cos\dfrac{\pi}{12} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{8})^p}{(\cos \dfrac{\pi}{8} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{12})^q} = i

Have I got that right?

Weren't the angles the same on both? I.e.:
(cosπ8+isinπ8)p(cosπ12+isinπ12)q=i\dfrac{(\cos\dfrac{\pi}{8} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{8})^p}{(\cos \dfrac{\pi}{12} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{12})^q} = i
? I'm not sure. I'm probably wrong.
Reply 16
Original post by ebmaj7
(cosπ12+isinπ8)p(cosπ8+isinπ12)q=i\dfrac{(\cos\dfrac{\pi}{12} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{8})^p}{(\cos \dfrac{\pi}{8} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{12})^q} = i

Have I got that right?

I got the wrong values for q and p no doubt but I went about using identities etc the correct way.

(cosπ8+isinπ8)p(cosπ12+isinπ12)q=i\dfrac{(\cos\dfrac{\pi}{8} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{8})^p}{(\cos \dfrac{\pi}{12} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{12})^q} = i
Yeah i took that c4 and got A*, but i knew i'd done well as i revised hard. This on the other hand, i done more revision over the past few months to succumb to mere guess work. Jellybean i got the same centre! Done some funky stuff with sinc and cosx ;D
The bottom half of the fraction had a '-' not a '+' i think
Original post by oh_1993

the question was (cosπ8+isinπ8)p(cosπ12isinπ12)q=i\dfrac{(\cos\dfrac{\pi}{8} + i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{8})^p}{(\cos \dfrac{\pi}{12} - i\sin\dfrac{\pi}{12})^q} = i

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending