The Student Room Group

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Scroll to see replies

Depends on your reasoning. If you don't eat meat because it's such an inefficient way of producing food (so it increases land pressure/destruction of habitats ect) then consuming sustainably sourced fish doesn't really have that problem.
Original post by destroyerofsouls
1) Biochemically, a fish is just as alive as a plant (which includes trees). Plants do move, why should how slow they move matter?
2) A brain is nothing special, it is a ball of chemicals that coordinates how an animal behaves. Plants also have a system of co-ordination, but it isn't stored all in one bit of the body, instead it is spread out all over it.
3) Fish don't have "friends". Seriously.

If you eat a fish/chicken/brocolli, who is to care? And why should you care that they care?

Whoever taught you biology needs to be sacked. Immediately.
Reply 62
Original post by Oli-Ol
I call myself a vegetarian but eat fish and eggs. However, I will correct this to pescetarian if prompted- it's just easier not going through life explaining things all the time.

Personally, I don't eat meat simply because I don't like the taste. I don't like the smell and on the occasions I've eaten meat I find it difficult not to gag. I loathe fish even more, if possible, but due to various medical conditions I have to eat it. I'm hoping that at some point in the future I'll be able to stop eating fish because I find it disgusting. Although given that I'm hoping to move to France, where they don't really understand vegetarianism, I might face a few problems.

And to everyone who eats meet yet is caring about this- what's it to you anyway? I'm not hurting anyone by being slightly inaccurate, or by not fitting your idea of what a vegetarian should be.

What possible medical condition could force your to eat fish? there is NOTHING in fish which can't be gotten better from other sources.
Reply 63
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Actually I know several people who have pet chickens. And yes, cows are not common pets as such, but people DON'T CARE ABOUT FISH whereas if a cow died before planned PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE UPSET.
No-one cares about fish! They are not popular animals!
Why do you insist on nitpicking?! I am :bored:

I'm just pointing out flaws in their reasoning.

Most fish we eat are endangered species, Its pretty disgraceful.
Reply 64
I actually asked a vegetarian friend this once. She said the reason she was vegi was because she disagree with how the farming industry works, if she were able to keep her own animals and make sure they were properly cared for then she would eat meat. So fish (assuming no from a fish farm, but out in open sea) are ok to eat because they aren't subject to conditions.

I don't know whether I agree with that or not, but that was her logic.

As for vegis that don't eat fish because "eating animals is inhumane" - well I have no idea.
Reply 65
My mum is a vegetarian that eats fish.. and sometimes gelatine....:rolleyes:
she doesn't mind as much about the gelatine because it was killed for its meat, and the gelatine is a by product of said animal being killed... So her eating something with it in, doesn't affect the fact the animal has been killed... Do you get me?

Then she goes on about how much she misses ribs, gammon, bacon....
meh
Original post by almasy
What possible medical condition could force your to eat fish? there is NOTHING in fish which can't be gotten better from other sources.

I'm on medication for certain conditions, and because of this it's 'strongly advised' that I eat meat and fish. So we've compromised on just the fish.
Original post by Iqbal007
There are people who eat fish and call themselves vegetarians :s-smilie:
im really confused............i thought being a vegetarian you don't anything alive in the sense of animals/meat of any sort.

but what if you accidentally the whole thing?
Reply 68
Original post by cant_think_of_name
but what if you accidentally the whole thing?

:colondollar: thanks
dont have any rep left tho
Reply 69
Original post by almasy
...you complain about fish but you'll eat cheese?
you're just as bad!

Cheese is made from milk, which is not made from meat?
Reply 70
Original post by Oli-Ol
I'm on medication for certain conditions, and because of this it's 'strongly advised' that I eat meat and fish. So we've compromised on just the fish.

So basically no reason at all...
Original post by callum9999
Whoever taught you biology needs to be sacked. Immediately.

Don't mean to sound too big headed, but try telling Andres Iniesta whoever taught him how to pass a ball needs to be sacked...

Have a look at some of these articles on wikipedia. (There's plenty of science journals on these topics as well, you might want to try them out if you can access some of them)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_communication#Plants_and_fungi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_neurobiology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanosensitive_channels
i don't think it matters, it may be hypocritical but as long as they aren't preaching and think they are superior then it doesn't matter.... i find anyone who preaches annoying.
Original post by blueray
Vegetarians who eat fish are confused or "Pescetarian" in shorter words.

Vegetarians don't eat animals for the fact that they have a heart and are living and can't be regrown like plants.

What I don't understand is how you can be so hypocritical and not eat animals because you find it "cruel etc" yet happily eat a fish?

Let me make this simple for you.
Don't look if you're screamish (mods don't delete as I have given a warning)

Spoiler

They both breath and move freely. Yet you don't eat one but do for the other.

If that's not not being confused then I don't know what is.

This conversation is boring and serves no other purpose other than to piss off vegetarians. I'm not a vegetarian, but even I'm not as bigoted to assume that the only reason why people are vegetarians is that they are animal-loving hippies, (although some may proudly be that). Secondly, who gives a s**t, whether they like fish or not? I like vegetarian meals they are tasty, but mean I'm a veggie in any way shape or form, plus from a health perspective the chances are because the aren't pumping their bodies full of fat and cholesterol from having eaten too many beef burgers, they are less likely to keel over at the age of forty-something and die from a heart attack. Although, from a health perspective, the same can't be said of vegans (there are certain vitamins, amino acids, and useful protein complexes that you can only get from animal products, although you might get away with eating tons of mushrooms and extra nutritional supplements...might.

To cut to the chase, they mostly don't care what you eat, I sure as hell don't care what you eat, so why do you care what they eat?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by almasy
So basically no reason at all...

Well if I don't eat fish I have regular nosebleeds lasting for up to two hours, headaches and fainting spells. So yeah, that's completely right. No reason at all. :rolleyes:
Original post by redferry
I'm just pointing out flaws in their reasoning.

Most fish we eat are endangered species, Its pretty disgraceful.

I know :frown: Nobody cares about poor tuna, or cod, or haddock. I think that they are still living animals and that they deserve the same level of respect.
Original post by destroyerofsouls
Don't mean to sound too big headed, but try telling Andres Iniesta whoever taught him how to pass a ball needs to be sacked...

Have a look at some of these articles on wikipedia. (There's plenty of science journals on these topics as well, you might want to try them out if you can access some of them)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_communication#Plants_and_fungi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_neurobiology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanosensitive_channels

Where does it say that they are "biochemically" just as alive as fish? Unless you are just using it as a fancy-sounding meaningless word?

I'm well aware plants are complex - doesn't make them automatically the same as fish.
'Vegetarians' who eat fish are a huge pet peeve of mine. Just use the appropriate term ffs!

On a slightly different topic. I went vegetarian for a year for a bet and my dad kept telling me to at least eat some chicken... Apparently, in his book poultry is not meat, therefore acceptable in a vegetarian diet :facepalm2:
Reply 78
It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.
Original post by Mazzini
Cheese is made from milk, which is not made from meat?

many cheeses contain animal rennet (complex of enzymes from mammal stomachs) and are therefore not vegetarian. However, there is a huuuuge selection of veggie friendly cheeses.

Quick Reply

Latest