The Student Room Group

How do you get an A* :)?

how do you get an A* in AQA and OCR? Thankyou :smile:!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 05dochertyf

usually an A overall with a 90% average across the A2 modules :smile:
Reply 2
For any aqa subject you will need an overall AS grade of an A, and the A2 has to be an overall of A*. It could be the same for OCR-but not too sure. Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 3
The sticky has like 55 pages of the same question. Really, is it needed to keep asking the same thing?
Reply 4
hard-work :smile:
Reply 5
Oh really ? So in biology (AQA) i have scraped an A, but in my January A2 exam i got 95%, does that mean in summer i only need to get 85% :biggrin:?
Same with philosophy OCR but i got 94:smile:?

im getting mixed messages from staff at college on weather its 90 on each or 90 average :smile:? thanks!
Reply 6
hahaha, God, tell me about it!
A

Original post by kayleigh.jean
usually an A overall with a 90% average across the A2 modules :smile:

But you also need at least 90% on all your AS modules? if you do the math, 80 ums is an A, 80+80=160 and to get an A* you would need 360 ums overall which is another 200ums which means 100% on both your papers. So 90% on both papers on average as in 97% paper and 83% in the other they balance out but you have to do this in each year

hope i made sense
Reply 8
Original post by the man from space

hope i made sense

But you are wrong

You only need an A overall so you need a total of 320/400
But you also need at least 90% on all your AS modules? if you do the math, 80 ums is an A, 80+80=160 and to get an A* you would need 360 ums overall which is another 200ums which means 100% on both your papers. So 90% on both papers on average as in 97% paper and 83% in the other they balance out but you have to do this in each year

hope i made sense

it's 320 UMS to get an A, and 320 UMS to get an A* with 180 of those coming from the A2 units :smile:

Oh really ? So in biology (AQA) i have scraped an A, but in my January A2 exam i got 95%, does that mean in summer i only need to get 85% :biggrin:?
Same with philosophy OCR but i got 94:smile:?

im getting mixed messages from staff at college on weather its 90 on each or 90 average :smile:? thanks!

if's 90% average across the two so you'd need 85% in the summer :smile:

there's an article on here where someone's explained the whole A* system really well
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry i seem to be wrong, i was told by my sixthform that even with my As it was going to be hard to get an A*, so i only need 180 ums this year, i guess ive learnt something new today
Being incredibly thick here so to clarify? To A*:

Average UMS of an A grade and:

90% on average in A2 units ie 100% and an 80% for an A*

Or:

90* minimum on both A2 Units. Ie if you 100% every unit and score 89% UMS on one A2 unit you only get an A?

Cheers
Reply 12
Original post by Alex Bampton

Or:

90* minimum on both A2 Units. Ie if you 100% every unit and score 89% UMS on one A2 unit you only get an A?

Cheers

The first one is right. It is true for almost all subjects and boards I believe :smile:
Original post by Alex Bampton

Or:

Cheers

90% on average :smile:
this is true for most subjects - only exceptions I'm aware of are maths and further maths
Original post by kayleigh.jean
only exceptions I'm aware of are maths and further maths

What do you think the exception is for these ??

The only exception I am aware of is CIE board
(edited 12 years ago)
So its minimum 320 ums with 180 ums coming from A2's?
Original post by Papermate15
For any aqa subject you will need an overall AS grade of an A, and the A2 has to be an overall of A*. It could be the same for OCR-but not too sure. Hope this helps:smile:

Wrong, you don't need an A at AS, just an A overall at A2 with 90% average in the two A2 modules.
Original post by TenOfThem
What do you think the exception is for these ??

The only exception I am aware of is CEI board

for edexcel maths, A* is 480 UMS (A) with 180 from C3 and C4;
for edexcel further maths, A* is 480 UMS (A) with 270 from the 3 best A2 units
So its minimum 320 ums with 180 ums coming from A2's?

Unless your course is CIE which I think is different
Reply 19
im in a situation for accounts. (AQA)

AS
unit 1 = 75 ums
unit 2 - 100 ums

A2
unit 3 = 99 ums
unit 4 = not yet done

so for me to get an A* i need to resit unit 1 and get 80 ums or more
and also get 81 ums or more on unit 4

so to sum up i need 320 ums / 400 ums and 180 or more must come from A2 and an A in AS

Quick Reply