The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just outta curiousity but I've heard with body rock that once you stop you get flabby - is this true? Is it worth doing? I've seen some of the videos but the people, as lovely as they are, don't have the type of body I would strive to have. Could I end up like that if I continued doing these videos?
Reply 3341
Been eating healthier and exercising more (zumba twice a week) for around a month now and I've lost about a stone :smile: the weighing scales seem dodgy as they tell you completely different weights every time, I mean I know water retention etc makes your weight higher but surely not 7lb higher :redface:

I'm debating trying out jogging and possibly going with my boyfriend (ex-army so I imagine he'd push me a fair bit!). What would you guys suggest doing to an absolute novice to running/jogging? I used to suffer from asthma badly so used to use that as an excuse not to do it.
Original post by .gina
Been eating healthier and exercising more (zumba twice a week) for around a month now and I've lost about a stone :smile: the weighing scales seem dodgy as they tell you completely different weights every time, I mean I know water retention etc makes your weight higher but surely not 7lb higher :redface:

I'm debating trying out jogging and possibly going with my boyfriend (ex-army so I imagine he'd push me a fair bit!). What would you guys suggest doing to an absolute novice to running/jogging? I used to suffer from asthma badly so used to use that as an excuse not to do it.

Use the NHS Couch to 5k program. If your asthma is actually stopping you running then I'd suggest you go back to your doctor.
Just managed to scroll a few pages and actually rep people; I'm so proud of you all :biggrin:.
Anyone have any advice for healthy snacks, preferably low carb? Getting enough calories is always my biggest problem when I try and cut down on the carbs. I never know what to eat so I just end up hungry and miserable :tongue:
Reply 3345
Breakfast: 2 slices of brioche with nutella
Lunch: vegetable tortellini, salad (lettuce, cucumber). Plain yoghurt
Afternoon: banana, 2 satsumas, 40cal hot chocolate, couple of squares of plain chocolate
Dinner: salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, pepper, onion, cucumber, feta cheese) with some couscous. Handful of my friend's chips (ooooops). Brownie

plus ~3mile cycle
I've got 3 Jillian Michaels DVDs that I never use and I know people in here are always thinking of trying her stuff, so if anyone's interested I will sell all three for £10 with a little postage charge, I have 6 week six pack, banish fat boost metabolism and no more trouble zones :smile: all never used. Thought I'd post on here as well as Amazon :P
Original post by Boom.Squish
Hi guys. Mind if I join the thread?

Feeling very depressed about losing weight recently. I've been eating at a deficit and doing intense cardio 5-6 times a week for over 3 weeks now and I've PUT ON a lb. Just really, really disheartening to put in loads of work and never get anything out of it :frown: Sadly been trying to lose weight on and off for 8 years now and this is how it always ends up. I have PCOS which I guess makes it harder, so I'm going to try and go low carb though I really don't want to. The cravings go away after a while but I just don't like the food I have to eat.

Anyway, mini-rant over, just feel like I need some extra support right now! It's hard to keep this going on top of exams and everything else. I wanted to lose weight for a holiday at the end of June but it's not looking very likely now so just feeling a bit down.

I'm 5'8" and 167lbs btw. Looking to lose about 30lbs altogether, though I'll see when I get there. :smile:

Welcome! You have pretty much the same stats as me and it sounds like you're probably having similar problems to me, so I know what you're going through! Have you got an account on myfitnesspal? It is a seriously amazing way of tracking what you are eating although I pretty much completely ignore the nutrient goals it set for me (way too many carbs and not enough protein)
Most of you guys are at uni right? How do you find balancing uni life with trying to lose weight? I'm going to uni in Sept / October and I'm worried that I'm going to get into a vicious cycle of drinking, eating crap and being hungover all the time. Right now I'm researching gyms near uni but I'm thinking there's no way I'm gonna be able to drag myself there and work out properly if I'm going out 3+ times a week, particularly in the first few weeks :ashamed2:
Just came across this awesome breakfast recipe: http://sinorslim.com/seafood/tuna-avocado-egg-roll/

I'm so trying it tomorrow! High in fat but I'm not too bothered
Original post by amizzle91
Thank you! :smile:
The top I'm wearing in the 21 pic? It's from New Look :smile:

Well done on the weight loss you look a lot different from your before photo. Hate the fact that I can't rep anyone on here :mad:

Original post by Stir fried Giblets
Just outta curiousity but I've heard with body rock that once you stop you get flabby - is this true? Is it worth doing? I've seen some of the videos but the people, as lovely as they are, don't have the type of body I would strive to have. Could I end up like that if I continued doing these videos?

Do you mean the bodyrock videos on youtube? The most important thing is that you are doing some sort of exercise and it doesn't have to be bodyrock

Original post by phiddy23
Most of you guys are at uni right? How do you find balancing uni life with trying to lose weight? I'm going to uni in Sept / October and I'm worried that I'm going to get into a vicious cycle of drinking, eating crap and being hungover all the time. Right now I'm researching gyms near uni but I'm thinking there's no way I'm gonna be able to drag myself there and work out properly if I'm going out 3+ times a week, particularly in the first few weeks :ashamed2:

The good thing about uni is that you have total control of what you eat and as a result I find it easier to eat better at uni than when I am at home. Also you have a lot more free time at uni than you do when one is working full time and you will definitely have more than enough time to go to the gym a few times a week and have a decent social life. Its about being organised with your time and also having the determination and will power to resist temptation.
Reply 3351
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Use the NHS Couch to 5k program. If your asthma is actually stopping you running then I'd suggest you go back to your doctor.

I'll give that a go. I'm not sure it actually is and won't know if I don't try but I think I just used to use it as an excuse not to do any exercise. That didn't work out too well as now I've got to try and shed about 4 stone :/
Original post by phiddy23

I completely fell apart diet wise when I was at uni. I started with the intention to eat really well, as there are local shops to buy fruit and veg and other healthy things. But then I realised that it was far too tempting to get take outs, packets of biscuits, chocolate etc. And I ended up eating at least 3,000 extra cals ON TOP OF everything else I ate, which obviously meant I piled on the weight. BUt then again I guess I was a lot worse than most people. My halls were right next to my lecture theatre, literally a 30 second walk, and that was all the exercise I got during the day. I've never been one for clubbing so didn't even burn calories dancing. I had a brilliant social life, but it was more like hanging in the communal areas watching films, chatting, eating ice cream.. etc. So nothing that would burn cals.

If you can get yourself into a routine of going to the gym then of course that would be great. I got myself into a lovely routine, just a shame it was a completely sedentary and bingey one!
I think I'm actually in love with this thread...lool
so I decided to stopped being embarrassed and shy about my weight loss so I'm joining in :smile: Losing 20kg since February is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Been to the gym this morning so let the intense revision begin :smile:
Original post by luckycharm
I think I'm actually in love with this thread...lool
so I decided to stopped being embarrassed and shy about my weight loss so I'm joining in :smile: Losing 20kg since February is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Been to the gym this morning so let the intense revision begin :smile:

Well done losing that much weight.. how much did you weigh to begin with, because it sounds really fast to lose 20kg!
Reply 3355
Original post by Stir fried Giblets

You'll only get flabby if you eat too much and gain fat.
The body doesn't convert muscle into fat when you stop using it (though if you don't do some form of weight-bearing exercise muscle size will decrease).

Being "toned" is much more about losing body fat than it is gaining muscle, and the only way to do that is with a calorie deficit.
That's why people say that abs are made in the kitchen.

If you want to look at your best and not end up skinny fat then weights/resistance training are recommended (though we've all seen that kid in year 9 who thinks he's all that because he's so skinny his abs have to show through and he thinks that qualifies him as batman).
Reply 3356
Sooo I decided to eat a smaller breakfast than the usual of late today (2 weetabix and an orange)...and then thought that people wouldn't think this is OK and I was restricting again, which I'm not (I've gained around a stone in 6 months up to 68.8kg)...and binged as a result to compensate. Hmmm. Can I get away with this now that I'm back at healthy weight? (Well, went from BMI 19 to 21, but I feel stronger, family say this suits me more and it generally feels more like my set-point)? I mean I thought that was alright :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3357
They now sell Kit Kat Chunky Peanut Butter at my college...not good for my diet :frown: worth the soup and veg dinner I'll have to have now :tongue:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well done losing that much weight.. how much did you weigh to begin with, because it sounds really fast to lose 20kg!

I can't believe I'm writing this cos I never tell anyone outside my family what I weigh but it's the Internet so.......basically at 5ft7 I weighed 120 (now 99)and when I started in the first month is when I lost a lot of weight quickly so I think my body reacted positively to the change and exercise ...plus I was eating 1200 calories a day which was very stupid cos and I soon found out it was below what I needed :frown:. My weight loss is not soo drastic anymore and is much more stable and normal :smile:
Does anyone know any places where I can buy almond milk for cheap? I'd love to try it and see if my mam can start getting it with the grocery shop but I know she won't consider buying it unless it's cheaper than normal milk.

Latest