The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9180
Original post by king101
But if they cannot see my grades how can they come to an assumption I sat the exams?

Admission tutors aren't idiots. At the very minimum you will have to put down that you have been at school for 3 years, and I'm pretty sure unless you're at a private school you need to also put down all achieved grades. It's called lying, and medical schools are fully within their power to withdraw an offer after finding out a lie like that.
Would anyone please help me, and say whether I have a chance of getting into any medical schools with my predicted GCSE grades;

English Language - B
Maths - B
Science core - B
Science additional - B OR A
RE - B
Work Skills - BB
Business Studies - A* A*
ICT - A* A*
Design and technology - A

For my A level subjects I have picked; biology, chemsitry, pyschology and computing.

I am also doing work experience at my local NHS hospital in the pathology lab where I am soon going to be on the wards when I am 17.

Would really appriciate if anyone would reply back, with comments or suggestions who have been in this situation themselves and what did you do to increase your chances.

Thank you!!
Reply 9182
Original post by FutureCareerInMed
Would anyone please help me, and say whether I have a chance of getting into any medical schools with my predicted GCSE grades;

English Language - B
Maths - B
Science core - B
Science additional - B OR A
RE - B
Work Skills - BB
Business Studies - A* A*
ICT - A* A*
Design and technology - A

For my A level subjects I have picked; biology, chemsitry, pyschology and computing.

I am also doing work experience at my local NHS hospital in the pathology lab where I am soon going to be on the wards when I am 17.

Would really appriciate if anyone would reply back, with comments or suggestions who have been in this situation themselves and what did you do to increase your chances.

Thank you!!

Are the ICT and Business studies actual GCSEs or a BTEC/other award?
Provided you apply to universities which don't put much emphasis on GCSEs then yes you would have a chance.
Original post by myyrh
Are the ICT and Business studies actual GCSEs or a BTEC/other award?
Provided you apply to universities which don't put much emphasis on GCSEs then yes you would have a chance.

The ICT is an OCR Nationals
Business studies is a BTEC - I had no GCSE options for these :-( !!

Can you recommend any universities which don't put much emphasis on GCSEs?

Thank you for replying most appreciated!
Reply 9184
The ICT is an OCR Nationals
Business studies is a BTEC - I had no GCSE options for these :-( !!

Can you recommend any universities which don't put much emphasis on GCSEs?

Thank you for replying most appreciated!

Well they probably wont count, at best maybe as half a GCSE.

You could consider applying to the following
Barts(As long as you have high A level predictions)
Durham
Newcastle
Exeter
Plymouth
Southampton

You still have a year to go before you apply so it's possible that these entry requirements could change.
Original post by myyrh
Well they probably wont count, at best maybe as half a GCSE.

You could consider applying to the following
Barts(As long as you have high A level predictions)
Durham
Newcastle
Exeter
Plymouth
Southampton

You still have a year to go before you apply so it's possible that these entry requirements could change.

Ok thanks for that!

Would Kings College be out of my reach? and what about Brighton and Sussex?

Once again - thanks!
Reply 9186
Ok thanks for that!

Would Kings College be out of my reach? and what about Brighton and Sussex?

Once again - thanks!

Kings would be a no. They select applicants for interview by number of A*s at GCSE and UKCAT. Your GCSEs would probably not be good enough for BSMS either since you would score lower than the other applicants academically.
Original post by myyrh
Kings would be a no. They select applicants for interview by number of A*s at GCSE and UKCAT. Your GCSEs would probably not be good enough for BSMS either since you would score lower than the other applicants academically.

Alright cool! Cheers for that - much appreciated.

Are you applying for medicine? Or already have?
Reply 9188
Alright cool! Cheers for that - much appreciated.

Are you applying for medicine? Or already have?

Applied twice. The universities I applied to for 2012 entry are in my sig.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Elwyn
It means you don't tell them your grades. That doesn't mean they won't know you sat them.

Also, I don't think you can choose to not cash-in anymore.

Just thought I would follow on from this post with more details on AS grades being 'cashed-in'

If you go to a public school then your AS results are automatically cashed-in at the end of year 12 and you HAVE TO declare any grade above a 'U' on your UCAS form at the time of applying.
If you go to a private school then it is their choice whether your results are cashed-in or not at the end of year 12, or whether they wait until you have completed A-levels. If this is the case then you should check with your school on the matter. Uni's will probably be expecting you to have inputed AS level grades into UCAS, and can ask you for them.

The majority of people will fall into the first category, or will have their private school opt-into cashing-in AS grades.

Please note: If you lie on your UCAS form/omit information that you should have declared then you void your agreement with UCAS that the data you submitted is correct and your application will not be valid.

So don't lie, you will be caught out and you will not be able to enter any university for that cycle.
Original post by Xiomara
I cannot stop thinking about results day. Warning, this'll be a long one.

Beginning of the year - went to my local sixth form (attached to the secondary school I'd been at for how many years) which is very small and not very science orientated, simply because...

I'm in exactly the same position as you, results day is eating away at my mind and I can't seem to get anything done due to stressing about it. I've hardly done any UKCAT revision and the maths questions seem so hard at times especially with the limited amount of time you have to solve them, and my personal statements consists of one paragraph so far and it SUCKS!! :frown:
Original post by celina10
I'm in exactly the same position as you, results day is eating away at my mind and I can't seem to get anything done due to stressing about it. I've hardly done any UKCAT revision and the maths questions seem so hard at times especially with the limited amount of time you have to solve them, and my personal statements consists of one paragraph so far and it SUCKS!! :frown:

At least we're not alone? Though it's a pretty **** place to be in!

I've done a teeny amount of UKCAT, not enough as I've been busy with other PS stuff. QR gets me all the time, everyone in my class says it's the easiest as they're all great at Maths, but I scraped through GCSE barely knowing anything and it's such a struggle! And the limited time is another factor - I misread/make silly mistakes and end up getting the wrong answer anyway :frown:

I'm sure your PS will be fine though! Just as long as you give it to lots of people who know you well for advice and feedback. Also, if you know anyone that is decent at English, they can help you with wording and stuff :P What subjects are you taking?
Original post by Xiomara
At least we're not alone? Though it's a pretty **** place to be in!

I've done a teeny amount of UKCAT, not enough as I've been busy with other PS stuff. QR gets me all the time, everyone in my class says it's the easiest as they're all great at Maths, but I scraped through GCSE barely knowing anything and it's such a struggle! And the limited time is another factor - I misread/make silly mistakes and end up getting the wrong answer anyway :frown:

I'm sure your PS will be fine though! Just as long as you give it to lots of people who know you well for advice and feedback. Also, if you know anyone that is decent at English, they can help you with wording and stuff :P What subjects are you taking?

I just want results day to come already so we can relax and I totally agree, I end up panicking because of the time and make so many silly mistakes. At least we have some hope with the verbal reasoning section, it's the easiest in my opinion. I'm taking Biology, Chemistry (which I hate), physics and psychology. What about you? And whats GCSE grades did you get coz they can't be worse than mine?
Bit unsure where to apply now. I didn't do great in my AS due to being lazy and underestimating how much time it would take but I'll probably be able to get the predicted grades.

I was thinking Glasgow, Newcastle, St Georges London and BSMS.

My GCSE's are A*AAAAAABB which aren't great so I can't apply to any GCSE heavy schools. The B is in Maths and English Literature. Lets assume I have a good PS and UKCAT. I'll probably have predicted grades of around A*AAB/A*AAA so I couldn't apply to Barts and the London which is somewhere I was interested in before :frown:

Are any of the ones I mentioned unsuitable? Any other suggestions? I really prefer big cities to small places so that could be considered too.

Any help is so appreciated because we need to start informing out careers advisor by the 16th and I don't have a clue yet.
Reply 9194
Original post by llessur123
Bit unsure where to apply now. I didn't do great in my AS due to being lazy and underestimating how much time it would take but I'll probably be able to get the predicted grades.

I was thinking Glasgow, Newcastle, St Georges London and BSMS.

My GCSE's are A*AAAAAABB which aren't great so I can't apply to any GCSE heavy schools. The B is in Maths and English Literature. Lets assume I have a good PS and UKCAT. I'll probably have predicted grades of around A*AAB/A*AAA so I couldn't apply to Barts and the London which is somewhere I was interested in before :frown:

Are any of the ones I mentioned unsuitable? Any other suggestions? I really prefer big cities to small places so that could be considered too.

Any help is so appreciated because we need to start informing out careers advisor by the 16th and I don't have a clue yet.

A*AAA predictions would be sufficient for Barts. BSMS would be risky as your GCSEs wouldn't score as highly, apparently BSMS put more emphasis on AS results but like you said, you aren't very optimistic about them. Newcastle and Glasgow would depend entirely on your UKCAT score. St Georges should be okay too provided you meet their UKCAT cut-off.
Original post by myyrh
A*AAA predictions would be sufficient for Barts. BSMS would be risky as your GCSEs wouldn't score as highly, apparently BSMS put more emphasis on AS results but like you said, you aren't very optimistic about them. Newcastle and Glasgow would depend entirely on your UKCAT score. St Georges should be okay too provided you meet their UKCAT cut-off.

Really? It was always my favourite but I went to the open day and heard about the tariff points and it put me off. I just imagined myself needing to get 4A* predictions to compete with the others with their pony grooming qualifications and what not. I don't have anything else that would add points other than a-levels.

I'm not too sure on BSMS either, I really like the look of it but it's not worth it if I don't have a decent chance.

So basically I need to work hard on my UKCAT! I'm aiming for around 700 so hopefully that would be sufficient.
My prediction is likely to be AAAB, with the B in Biology.

Will I still be considered?
Reply 9197
Original post by like a boss
My prediction is likely to be AAAB, with the B in Biology.

Will I still be considered?

Are those your predicted AS grades? If so then yes you still will be considered.
In high school I suffered from allot of personal problems, I was bullied astonishingly by three girls for the last three years of high school, I hardly attended and I had counselling sessions for those three years
I managed to receive the grades:
English: A
English Language: A
Maths: B
Biology: B
Chemistry: B
Physics: C
Drama: A*
Religious Studies: A*
Food Technology: A
Statistics: C
Giving me a GCSE point score of 6.4

In my first year of college I still continued to be counselled, it was difficult for me to let go of what had happened. So I had further counselling EMDR, eye movement desensitization and reprocessing. I didn't fully finish the treatment as I was missing allot of college so I had to attending my appointments they discharged me for not attending. The reason for me not attending my appointments was my form tutor who was giving me allot of grief for missing college and he was well aware of my circumstances. I got allot better. I am a lot better. Unfortunately for me the positive attitude towards college which included revising all the time like I would have liked to have normally done came late. I don’t think I have done as well in my AS for medicine, I don't think I will get all A's I will defiantly get at least one but not in every subject.

I really would like to re-sit the year whole year and start again at a different college, if I stay in my current college my application isn't going to be accepted anyway due to my personal tutor’s attitude towards me. I know the way he is, medicine being so competitive I know that it is down to grades and references and personal statement if I resit I would get the grades I know I can do anything once I set my mind to it and I can write an excellent personal statement, his reference however would affect me.

I'm going to ring all the universities who I know accept resits and take their advice, but I AM SO SCARED.
I wish I had taken a year out before I started college to get better, I wish I had control over my circumstance but I really didn't, I wish to start fresh. I would hate to believe my past that I had no control over would affect my future in such a horrible way.

Universities who do accept resits due to Extenuating Circumstances, I am going to call the universities and ask if bullying falls under that and weather my counselling session could proof. When I talk about bullying I don’t mean a little back chatting, I mean extreme (made sure I was never in college, got as many people involved, rumours of me committing suicide, self harming, taking drugs, running away, violently threatening, If I was in school made my life hell)

But I really want to do medicine and re-sitting the AS year would help, but what I come under the extenuating circumstances and would resetting the whole AS year make it difficult for me to get a place?

Does anybody know anyone who has previously completed an AS year resit for medicine?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9199
Original post by dolphinblue101
x

Just for reference, I have moved your post into this thread so it can be answered more easily. :smile:

Latest