The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

What's so bad about Warwick's campus?

I've read a lot of threads on TSR saying that it's awful - it's probably my top choice at the moment and I'm going to the open day in September, but I'd just like to know why people hate/d it so much? :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think it's that bad really - it was very nearly my firm, and the architecture had nothing to do with my decision. The most modern buildings (I think the sciences?) are actually quite nice. There are some ugly buildings that look like they might be from the 60s, kind of run down looking. You'd just have to go and see what you think and if it would be an issue for you.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by WhatYouKnow
I've read a lot of threads on TSR saying that it's awful - it's probably my top choice at the moment and I'm going to the open day in September, but I'd just like to know why people hate/d it so much? :tongue:

Visit it, view the accommodation and see what you think of it :h:
Warwick is a 60's university.

60's university = ugly campus.

It's not just Warwick, Brunel looked like a concrete jungle when I visited, and apparently, it's one of the 'better looking 60's universities'.
Reply 4
It's ugly. Just plain 1970's brutalistic architecture consisting mainly of cheap, slapped-together, purpose built, tacky looking buildings.

It's in the middle of nowhere.

The closest city is Coventry, which I would need volumes of cyberspace to tell you just how ugly and miserable of city that **** hole is.

It's all a shame, really. Warwick has an excellent reputation for the social sciences. Probably no better university to study disciplines like sociology, social history, industrial relations, etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Folie
I don't think it's that bad really - it was very nearly my firm, and the architecture had nothing to do with my decision. The most modern buildings (I think the sciences?) are actually quite nice. There are some ugly buildings that look like they might be from the 60s, kind of run down looking. You'd just have to go and see what you think and if it would be an issue for you.

Okay, thank you :smile:

Original post by TheTallOne
Visit it, view the accommodation and see what you think of it :h:

I definitely will do!

Original post by VintageJasmine

It's not just Warwick, Brunel looked like a concrete jungle when I visited, and apparently, it's one of the 'better looking 60's universities'.

Thank you for your answer :smile:

Original post by HonestBob
It's ugly. Just plain 1970's brutalistic architecture consisting mainly of cheap, slapped-together, purpose built, tacky looking buildings.

The closest city is Coventry, which I would need volumes of cyberspace to tell you just how ugly and miserable of city that **** hole is.

It's all a shame, really. Warwick has an excellent reputation for the social sciences. Probably no better university to study disciplines like sociology, social history, industrial relations, etc.

Lol I've been to Coventry before! Thanks for your answer.
Original post by VintageJasmine

I visited Brunel last year and I think there's more concrete there than Warwick :p:

As for Social Studies, it's alright - it's got a red brick exterior from the 80s (like here) and the interior still looks decent, so for you it's quite a nice place to study. There are concrete monstrosities (and another) that consist of the first buildings built in the late 60s/early 70s which currently house the Library, Humanities, Chemistry, Physics and Engineering departments. That's not to say the interior is as bad as the exterior! Note the bathroom tiling on the left of the previous two photos - these are the Library/Humanities departments. Much nicer buildings have been constructed around, featuring red brick and other strange materials. The front of the Engineering department completed a makeover earlier this year.

Around 'Academic Square', consisting of buildings constructed from around the turn of the century, it's much nicer. Here and what is possibly the most overused shot of campus here you can see some of the more recent buildings. There's one more building to be constructed to complete the 'square' and apparently that starts in a year or two.

You have the Warwick Arts Centre here which features a bit of concrete and the most puzzling pieces of art right outside, the Koan, which then rotates around with revolving lights at night.

But yeah, see for yourself.
I really don't think it's ugly at all - especially in summer, when I think buildings like social studies and maths look lovely. The only ones that actually meet with the dull 60s stereotype are the library, humanities and science. They may be some of the biggest, but social studies, the SU, the Arts Centre, maths, etc look really nice. The accommodation blocks are obviously all different; the only grey one is Old Rootes, which is pretty dull admittedly - but some of the others are really nice.

There's loads more green space and water and trees than you'd find near any city-based uni and more than most campus ones I've visited. Where else can you pop out of your lecture and go for a walk round a lake or through a forest?

That said, I've always been quite openly in love with the campus, and love blinds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TheTallOne
I visited Brunel last year and I think there's more concrete there than Warwick :p:

As for Social Studies, it's alright - it's got a red brick exterior from the 80s (like here) and the interior still looks decent, so for you it's quite a nice place to study. There are concrete monstrosities (and another) that consist of the first buildings built in the late 60s/early 70s which currently house the Library, Humanities, Chemistry, Physics and Engineering departments. That's not to say the interior is as bad as the exterior! Note the bathroom tiling on the left of the previous two photos - these are the Library/Humanities departments. Much nicer buildings have been constructed around, featuring red brick and other strange materials. The front of the Engineering department completed a makeover earlier this year.

Around 'Academic Square', consisting of buildings constructed from around the turn of the century, it's much nicer. Here and what is possibly the most overused shot of campus here you can see some of the more recent buildings. There's one more building to be constructed to complete the 'square' and apparently that starts in a year or two.

You have the Warwick Arts Centre here which features a bit of concrete and the most puzzling pieces of art right outside, the Koan, which then rotates around with revolving lights at night.

But yeah, see for yourself.

Thank you for posting that. (: I quite like the Koan in a weird way!

Original post by Grape190190
I really don't think it's ugly at all - especially in summer, when I think buildings like social studies and maths look ugly. The only ones that actually meet with the dull 60s stereotype are the library, humanities and science. They may be some of the biggest, but social studies, the SU, the Arts Centre, maths, etc look really nice. The accommodation blocks are obviously all different; the only grey one is Old Rootes, which is pretty dull admittedly - but some of the others are really nice.

There's loads more green space and water and trees than you'd find near any city-based uni and more than most campus ones I've visited. Where else can you pop out of your lecture and go for a walk round a lake or through a forest?

That said, I've always been quite openly in love with the campus, and love blinds.

Thank you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
I think it is a matter of personal taste and perspective...whilst I don't think for a moment it is an attractive campus, it really is not all that bad at all. You get a good sense of space and aren't hemmed in, which matters a lot imo. Plus, like others have said, it's very green and surrounded by trees and there are areas of woodland which are lovely in the spring and summer when the bluebells come out :smile:
Original post by HonestBob

i heard student life in leamington spa is ok, though
Reply 11
Who ever says Warwick campus is ugly is either blind or does not have an appreciation of modern, simplistic, minimalist architecture.
Dont know what these lot above are talking about. I go to Warwick and the architecture isnt amazing, but it isnt ugly. Even if the building look drab on the outside they're quite modern on the inside. And a lots of places are being refurbished, and there is a new accomodation being built.

Case and point: It's just a building, who cares.
(edited 12 years ago)
Flat concrete jungle with no character. I planned on it being my first choice until I saw it. Then I decided against applying to it at all.
Warwick Physics department are the only ones I've seen who bothered to put carpet tiles down.

Take from that what you will.
I like the campus :dontknow: But then again our buildings are fairly new.
Original post by WhatYouKnow

I have absolutely no idea where people get these opinions from. Have you actually visited the university? There are a couple of old 60s buildings, but greenery all around the campus is stunning. Well kept lawns, water features and there are several new buildings which look excellent. While I agree the physics building and the humanities building are pretty horrific, the areas around accommodation are beautiful... ducks and squirrels dance together while Mozart is playing in the background.
Yeah it is pretty ugly to be honest...it's hardly got the looks of Imperial, or Nottingham, or Royal Holloway UOL, though of course it's got a much better reputation than the latter.
i think it's either a love it or hate it campus
personally the external appearance of it didn't bother me, there are excellent resources and a good feel to the way in which everything is close together
admittedly some of the older accommodation is a bit dodgy but if you look at some of the newer stuff like Jack Martin, Arthur Vick or the brand new one Bluebell it's not a problem
and although coventry isn't the best, Leamington spa is nice as is the actual city of Warwick and it's only 30 minutes away from Birmingham
At the end of the day it's a matter of personal preference (and i am biased) but it's consistently a top rated uni and people apply and make it their firm every year so it can't be that bad.
Why would you pick which university you go to based on the architecture? :facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending