The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hey Guys,

I'm a non-law grad from Canada...just finished up a 2-year conversion degree from here and gonna start applying for 2014 TC's ...

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 101
Have enjoyed the sun all weekend... now to begin the applications :s-smilie: !!
hey all,

used to post on the TC2013 thread, have got a TC sorted but thought i'd help out anyone applying this year. If you want me to look over your apps PM me and hopefully i'll be of some help.

Have had interviews with A&O, Linklaters, Hogan Lovells (who i will be joining), Latham & Watkins and SJ Berwin.
Hey everyone. I just thought I'd chip in here too. It's scary to think that I'm applying for TCs already- time flies! :s-smilie: So far I've applied to Herbert Smith and have sat their verbal reasoning, logical reasoning and situational judgement tests. Along with Simmons and Simmons, Herbies are my favourite. :redface:
Good luck everyone!
Original post by chester.
Hey everyone. I just thought I'd chip in here too. It's scary to think that I'm applying for TCs already- time flies! :s-smilie: So far I've applied to Herbert Smith and have sat their verbal reasoning, logical reasoning and situational judgement tests. Along with Simmons and Simmons, Herbies are my favourite. :redface:
Good luck everyone!

Hi

Sorry if you've mentioned already - but are you a law student or non-law? In either case, at what stage of your studies have you reached?

Thanks
So far, all the firms I've checked up on say 'Our graduate recruitment campaign for 2014 will commence in October 2011'.... am I being over-eager to want them to be up already? Clip, I totally would have applied in that kind of timeframe if any firm I'd spotted any forms up yet...
Original post by cocacola2
Hi

Sorry if you've mentioned already - but are you a law student or non-law? In either case, at what stage of your studies have you reached?

Thanks

Hi,
I'm a final year Philosophy student- and I'm still terrified that my lack of law education will hold me back. :frown: What about you?
you should be spending a fair bit of time on your applications, if you rush them you'll just make spelling errors, use the wrong firm name and just write rubbish answers for the competency questions i.e. you won't get passed the first hurdle. Especially for the bigger firms which receive thousands of applications for 50 - 90 places.
One of the top tips someone at a careers day mentioned to me was that you should make your favourite firm(s) fall somewhere in the 40th percentile (in terms of time) of your applications. Late enough that you've got the applications process pretty sorted, but not so late that you're jeopardising it sending it in with all the last-minuters. :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by scribble_girl
One of the top tips someone at a careers day mentioned to me was that you should make your favourite firm(s) fall somewhere in the 40th percentile (in terms of time) of your applications. Late enough that you've got the applications process pretty sorted, but not so late that you're jeopardising it sending it in with all the last-minuters. :smile:

My strategy is totally different.

Firstly, I don't care what people say about deadlines, I have a strong suspicion that apps are rejected or passed as they come in, and close to the closing date, the firm might already have in mind most of the interviews they want to do. I can't believe they just store them all up and read them all on July 1st or whatever. Especially the smaller firms taking 10 or less trainees, they might have decided back in March who they're taking and are just going through the motions.

Secondly, my app is a bit wild, so I need it to be read when the HR department has a couple of minutes to read it, not a couple of seconds. If I stick them in on the first couple of weeks, I'm anticipating lower traffic (than the last week) so at least I'll get the damn thing read, even if it does get binned straight after.
honestly
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by honestly
I am looking for Law and non Law graduate, who have attained at least a 2.2 with AAB minimum at A level. I am looking for trainees on behalf of my firm. The number of placements we have is about 6; depending on quality of candidates.

Those interested in Crime, Family, Wills and Estate, Probate, Education and Commerical Law should apply, along with good A Levels (AAB) and at least a 2.2.

honestly

What other requirements do you have? Big tits and a propensity for oral sex, I presume.
Original post by Clip
What other requirements do you have? Big tits and a propensity for oral sex, I presume.

sorry my friend fooling about ....
:o:o
honestly
Reply 113
Which firms have rolling applications/are likely to run interviews fairly close to the TC2014 Oct opening?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Firms that have Winter Vacation schemes tend to do their first round of TC apps some time after them, last year it was around January I think.
Original post by GoBigOrGoHome
you should be spending a fair bit of time on your applications, if you rush them you'll just make spelling errors... i.e. you won't get passed the first hurdle.

Quite
Reply 116
Original post by chester.
So far I've applied to Herbert Smith and have sat their verbal reasoning, logical reasoning and situational judgement tests. Along with Simmons and Simmons, Herbies are my favourite. :redface:

:thumbsup:
Reply 117
Put in BLP TC app just now. A couple of questions I didn't like. They turned me down for Open Day last year, so I'm not that optimistic but on the other hand, I won't know for 11 months.

Original post by Clip
Put in BLP TC app just now. A couple of questions I didn't like. They turned me down for Open Day last year, so I'm not that optimistic but on the other hand, I won't know for 11 months.

Wow, you're moving fast. Lol.

I've saved a couple of Winter VS apps and printed them, going to take a look at them in more detail today.

I only submitted very few apps last year, but yesterday I discovered the magic of the LC.N thing-ma-jig, very impressive :biggrin:
Reply 119
Original post by cocacola2
Wow, you're moving fast. Lol.

I've saved a couple of Winter VS apps and printed them, going to take a look at them in more detail today.

I only submitted very few apps last year, but yesterday I discovered the magic of the LC.N thing-ma-jig, very impressive :biggrin:

It's kind of a necessity for me. I have noticed that my apps from last year (for Open Days, but they were still apply4law) weren't anywhere near as good, and I have the distinct impression that I'll feel the same way about the ones I'm doing now in May or June.

But there's only continuous improvement, and I haven't applied to any of my Champions League firms yet, so I'm keeping my powder dry.

Quick Reply