The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9000
So I've decided to quit my job (refused to give me a career break, the bastards) and go traveling in September - the baby sister shall be coming with me as she doesn't want to go straight to Uni........the fact my brother is currently in Australia has been a big motivator as well. Going to take some hardcore saving, but I think I'll be able to do it - spent most of the day researching RTW tickets & visa requirements.....getting very excited, think this is the best decision I've ever made!
Reply 9001
Have fun :camp:

Karma has hit me- I'm one of the older members of the MLP forum I joined, so sometimes they call me old :emo:

:ahee:
Reply 9002
Original post by La Trampa
Your sig is soooo cute!!! :biggrin:
Design my business brand for me. Seriously! :|

Domo arigato. :biggrin: And sure, but I ain't cheap. :tongue: How's things? :hugs:

Original post by Truered
I think Cara said a while back what I was thinking of was some folk story or something about practising the flute or something in a town. Maybe :redface:

Yeah, the sound could be compared to a flute, so I'm inclined to think it's probably this. :tongue:

Original post by caraniel
So I've decided to quit my job (refused to give me a career break, the bastards) and go traveling in September - the baby sister shall be coming with me as she doesn't want to go straight to Uni........the fact my brother is currently in Australia has been a big motivator as well. Going to take some hardcore saving, but I think I'll be able to do it - spent most of the day researching RTW tickets & visa requirements.....getting very excited, think this is the best decision I've ever made!

Good on you, Cara. I know a few people who have decided to break away from the shackles of work to enrich their lives through travelling and none of them have regretted it. Shame that your employer refused to give you a sabbatical, though, especially in account of how long you've been there, but I suppose this is the NHS we're talking about. Aside from Australia, are you planning to go anywhere else? :smile:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9003
Original post by Aiko

Good on you, Cara. I know a few people who have decided to break away from the shackles of work to enrich their lives through travelling and none of them have regretted it. Shame that your employer refused to give you a sabbatical, though, especially in account of how long you've been there, but I suppose this is the NHS we're talking about. Aside from Australia, are you planning to go anywhere else? :smile:

I'm not going anywhere with the NHS - there's no room for growth so really think this clean break from them could be a positive thing, felt stuck in a rut for way too long and I'm not getting any younger!

Tentative plan is: 3 weeks in Japan (of course - can't go all the way to the otherside of the world & not see Japan!), some highlights of China/Hong Kong - probably 2-3 weeks, longer stay in Australia on a working holiday visa to recoup some funds, few weeks in New Zealand & then over to the USA (California & New York). Thinking we'll be away for about 6-8 months depending on how the funds hold up.
Original post by Jehuty^
Euge :puppyeyes:

not bad, pretty busy with :work: these days :sadnod:
Reply 9005
I'm not going anywhere with the NHS - there's no room for growth so really think this clean break from them could be a positive thing, felt stuck in a rut for way too long and I'm not getting any younger!

Tentative plan is: 3 weeks in Japan (of course - can't go all the way to the otherside of the world & not see Japan!), some highlights of China/Hong Kong - probably 2-3 weeks, longer stay in Australia on a working holiday visa to recoup some funds, few weeks in New Zealand & then over to the USA (California & New York). Thinking we'll be away for about 6-8 months depending on how the funds hold up.

It's a common scenario that I've regularly come across with friends and family where they acknowledge that there's no room for development with their existing employer but will stick with them because they're comfortable and/or lazy to proactively change that.

Putting aside the obvious experience you'll gain from travelling, you might decide that working in Australia is far better than the UK and will consider living/working there longterm.

As for Japan and the US, be assured to inform me of your exact dates as I'd love to meet up possibly. I always find it's beneficial to meet someone who is familiar with the place too. :smile:
Reply 9006
Reply 9007

I saw your tweets on it already.:giggle: But good luck with this and have a great time, you deserve it.:hugs:
Reply 9008

Cara :hugs: When are you planning to do this?

I'm moving to Japan for a year in about a month. If you go to China, you have to visit xian and Guilin
Reply 9009

Ooooh nice! Hope you have a great time. I really enjoyed my 3 months in Oz and even somewhat enjoyed working in the hostels! I would have loved to see more of Asia though.
Reply 9010
Original post by eugenius 8
not bad, pretty busy with :work: these days :sadnod:

What sort of work? :zomg:
Reply 9011
On the topic of travel, I'm actually off to Japan myself tomorrow evening in preparation for the Tokyo Marathon this upcoming Saturday. I've managed to raise an unexpected but substantial amount for my chosen children's charity, which I'm absolutely thrilled about. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9012
i ate way too much at the buffet earlier so im still very full and cant go to sleep :mmm:

oof :sexface:

Original post by Jehuty^
What sort of work? :zomg:

:tongue:imp:

Spoiler

Original post by Aiko
On the topic of travel, I'm actually off to Japan myself tomorrow evening in preparation for the Tokyo Marathon this upcoming Saturday. I've managed to raise an unexpected but substantial amount for my chosen children's charity, which I'm absolutely thrilled about. :smile:

awesome :smile: good luck with the marathon :dumbells:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9014
Original post by eugenius 8
awesome :smile: good luck with the marathon :dumbells:

Thanks, Euge. I ran the route last year when I was not 100% well, so I'm confident that regarding nothing unforeseen happens, I'll be ok and hopefully will beat my personal best. My only slight concern is adjusting to the 13 hour time zone difference in time before Saturday. This is only a fleeting visit as I'm back here this time next week. Only so much holiday I can afford to take off. :sadnod:

Edit: For those interested, here's the route: http://www.tokyo42195.org/pdf/map_2009.pdf
Reply 9015
I've literally woken up wit no memory of last night what the **** happened :wtf:
Reply 9016
Original post by Aiko
It's a common scenario that I've regularly come across with friends and family where they acknowledge that there's no room for development with their existing employer but will stick with them because they're comfortable and/or lazy to proactively change that.

Putting aside the obvious experience you'll gain from travelling, you might decide that working in Australia is far better than the UK and will consider living/working there longterm.

As for Japan and the US, be assured to inform me of your exact dates as I'd love to meet up possibly. I always find it's beneficial to meet someone who is familiar with the place too. :smile:

Yeah I've been in lazy/unmotivated mode for way too long - 30th birthday is looming on the horizon so need to get my arse in gear! Shall be spending a minimum of 3-4 months (probably longer) in Australia so I'll get a good taste of what job opportunities they have.

We'll most likely be in Japan in September and the US the following Spring - I'll be sure to give you dates once I have them locked down, still pricing things at the moment - would be great to meet up!

Best of luck with the marathon - brilliant thing to do, you have my utmost respect!

Original post by vin
I saw your tweets on it already.:giggle: But good luck with this and have a great time, you deserve it.:hugs:

Stalking twitter - you should tweet more!

Original post by kestral
Cara :hugs: When are you planning to do this?

I'm moving to Japan for a year in about a month. If you go to China, you have to visit xian and Guilin

Planning to go in September - where in Japan are you going to be based? That sounds so exciting!

Xian & Guilin are on the wishlist - have to get to those, look amazing!

Original post by Jehuty^
Ooooh nice! Hope you have a great time. I really enjoyed my 3 months in Oz and even somewhat enjoyed working in the hostels! I would have loved to see more of Asia though.

Looking forward to getting to OZ, will be well ready for work at that stage......will be nice to see the brother too.
Somehow got unsubscribed from this thread, though it was a bit quiet even by today's standards. :p:
Reply 9018
I made a papercraft tachikoma like this one but it didnt turn out that great :sad: one of the legs is higher than the other so the whole thing only rests on 3.:s-smilie:

You'll love it! :biggrin:

Latest