The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any idea what York's economics department is like and how does it compare with Birmingham?
Reply 9601
Original post by Charlesworth
Yeah, there are definitely a much wider range of factors taken into account apart from academics, such as the PS, references and like you said contextual factors.

I received an offer, although I'm predicted AAA, honestly my gcse's aren't up to scratch to warrant a place from half of the places I've received an offer. Durham and Edinburgh for instance.

With regards to Edinburgh, I think that my sport may have aided my application their as I attend quite a good school so that would have had no bearing on the decision.

I think that they may take a more american styled admissions approach?

Just food for thought.
Reply 9602
Original post by fuzzybear
Does anyone have any idea what York's economics department is like and how does it compare with Birmingham?

From what I was told when I was applying York has a good Economics department, very good previously apparently. I do not know much about Birmingham for Economics but my sister went there for Law and thought it was decent.
Original post by Yash13
From what I was told when I was applying York has a good Economics department, very good previously apparently. I do not know much about Birmingham for Economics but my sister went there for Law and thought it was decent.

when did you apply
Original post by pjp1993
I received an offer, although I'm predicted AAA, honestly my gcse's aren't up to scratch to warrant a place from half of the places I've received an offer. Durham and Edinburgh for instance.

With regards to Edinburgh, I think that my sport may have aided my application their as I attend quite a good school so that would have had no bearing on the decision.

I think that they may take a more american styled admissions approach?

Just food for thought.

personal statement, teacher's ref, you never know with edinburgh, but can i ask what your gcses are?
Reply 9605
Original post by fuzzybear
when did you apply

The most recent cycle for 2012/13 entry. :smile:
I have offers from LSE and Warwick for Law. I'm sure you guys are the right people to ask.. do you think there is any chance of me being transferred to LSE Government and Economics or Warwick Economics, Politics and International Studies due to a change of heart, or is this a pipe dream? :unsure:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9607
Original post by Tsunami2011
I have offers from LSE and Warwick for Law. I'm sure you guys are the right people to ask.. do you think there is any chance of me being transferred to LSE Government and Economics or Warwick Economics, Politics and International Studies due to a change of heart, or is this a pipe dream? :unsure:

I think it is certainly a possibility, especially as they are less competitive courses than Law. I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to move to straight economics but for those combined courses you have a shot.. Why don't you ask them?
Original post by Tateco
I think it is certainly a possibility, especially as they are less competitive courses than Law. I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to move to straight economics but for those combined courses you have a shot.. Why don't you ask them?

Ah Thanks I think I will! I was just slightly paranoid, that they might rescind my law offer, if they couldn't find any spaces :s-smilie:Yeah Economics is too quantatative for me anyway! joints honours interest me more.
Reply 9609
hey i'm looking to study economics at lse/cambridge next year but wasn't sure on my chances as my gcse's aren't great, would appreciate if you could tell my what my chances are like.

GCSE's:
6 A*
4 A
B
C (in spanish)

A Levels: maths, further maths, economics, chemistry and history
In my january exams i achieved 91-96% ums score in all exams i took

also in year 11 i did as history but got a grade C, was wondering if this would affect my chances seeing as i am retaking history anyway?
Reply 9610
Ah Thanks I think I will! I was just slightly paranoid, that they might rescind my law offer, if they couldn't find any spaces :s-smilie:Yeah Economics is too quantatative for me anyway! joints honours interest me more.

You can always ask anonymously at first if you are worried, but I don't see why they would have a problem with it.

Don't know about Warwick but at LSE if you do Maths at A-level then its possible. You'll have to provide some REALLY good reasons to convince the departmental tutors though but ask an LSE student like TheMeister?
Original post by amg_22
hey i'm looking to study economics at lse/cambridge next year but wasn't sure on my chances as my gcse's aren't great, would appreciate if you could tell my what my chances are like.

GCSE's:
6 A*
4 A
B
C (in spanish)

also in year 11 i did as history but got a grade C, was wondering if this would affect my chances seeing as i am retaking history anyway?

For Cambridge.. Try and average like 95% across 3 subjects inc Maths+FM, Econ and your next highest science...

for example Maths+FM 97 (Cambridge count the UMS together), Econ 95 Physics 93 Chem 91 gives a 95 average across your best 3.

if your retaking History then you wont have to put the C on your UCAS form, just put your current grade.

Outstanding UMS can compensate for GCSEs anyway. Try getting more than 95% would be my advice, and try to get the highest UMS in Maths as it is essential for the course.

And for LSE People have got in this year with Bs in Economics at AS but have high As in Maths + FM. But yeah the UMS you have now would be fine I reckon.

At the LSE offer day, the departmental tutor made it clear that if your not comfortable with Maths then this isn't the course for you.
Reply 9613
Original post by funkydee
For Cambridge.. Try and average like 95% across 3 subjects inc Maths+FM, Econ and your next highest science...

for example Maths+FM 97 (Cambridge count the UMS together), Econ 95 Physics 93 Chem 91 gives a 95 average across your best 3.

if your retaking History then you wont have to put the C on your UCAS form, just put your current grade.

Outstanding UMS can compensate for GCSEs anyway. Try getting more than 95% would be my advice, and try to get the highest UMS in Maths as it is essential for the course.

And for LSE People have got in this year with Bs in Economics at AS but have high As in Maths + FM. But yeah the UMS you have now would be fine I reckon.

At the LSE offer day, the departmental tutor made it clear that if your not comfortable with Maths then this isn't the course for you.

cheers for the positivity i thought i was doomed...

the thing about history is that it is a different mark scheme and topic which is why i wasnt sure if i had to include it, does it still apply?

also i ****ed up my C1 exam and got 91 when it should of been an easy 100 haha, same for m1 -.-, hopfully i can compensate for this by doing well in may and also got a gold in senior maths challenge :P
Last post I promise... But on the thread where that guy is asking questions about Warwick undergraduate...

Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Hello

I'm a prospective student currently studying in Year 12.

I emailed the general Warwick undergraduate admission team and someone told me that last years offers for economics were made only to those who achieved 7A*s at GCSE. I would just like to know if this is true and does this mean that an applicant who doesn't have 7A*s stands no chance of being made an offer? Or can a strong set of AS results/personal statement etc help negate relatively weak GCSEs?

I attained 4A*s and 6As at GCSE, with A*s in maths and English.

This is what was sent to me through email:

"This year offers have been based on 7 or more GCSE's at A*, but this can vary by year depending on the level of applications received."

It's funny because before the process Im sure the guy said they have a wide variety of factors which they take into consideration. However offers seemed to be rolling in based on the amount of A*'s at gcse. There also dont seem to care for FM that much either?

Haha the guys gonna get a response from the guy saying he stands a chance blah blah.

Next year the guy works hard for AS, gets 90+ in every exam. Applies thinking its the easier of the top 5 uni. gets rejected like a bitch for not getting A*'s in art, drama, biology and media studies back in year 11 for gcse's (when you were told they dont matter)

Makes sense right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by amg_22
cheers for the positivity i thought i was doomed...

the thing about history is that it is a different mark scheme and topic which is why i wasnt sure if i had to include it, does it still apply?

also i ****ed up my C1 exam and got 91 when it should of been an easy 100 haha, same for m1 -.-, hopfully i can compensate for this by doing well in may and also got a gold in senior maths challenge :P

I averaged 91 last year for Maths! Was a bit low for Cambridge but was fine for LSE and UCL

Haha yeah I mentioned maths challenges in my PS. I mentioned the importance of Maths in Econ and how i'd like to find out more about mathematical applications
Reply 9616
Last post I promise... But on the thread where that guy is asking questions about Warwick undergraduate...

It's funny because before the process Im sure the guy said they have a wide variety of factors which they take into consideration. However offers seemed to be rolling in based on the amount of A*'s at gcse. There also dont seem to care for FM that much either?

Haha the guys gonna get a response from the guy saying he stands a chance blah blah.

Next year the guy works hard for AS, gets 90+ in every exam. Applies thinking its the easier of the top 5 uni. gets rejected like a bitch for not getting A*'s in art, drama, biology and media studies back in year 11 for gcse's where your told gcse's dont matter.

Makes sense right?

Voted too many times today but this deserves a: :lolz:
Reply 9617
I averaged 91 last year for Maths! Was a bit low for Cambridge but was fine for LSE and UCL

Haha yeah I mentioned maths challenges in my PS. I mentioned the importance of Maths in Econ and how i'd like to find out more about mathematical applications

oh right so i'm guessing your at lse now? how you finding it and can you tell me your results please if you dont mind :biggrin:
Original post by amg_22
oh right so i'm guessing your at lse now? how you finding it and can you tell me your results please if you dont mind :biggrin:

I'll be starting in October, i'll PM you what my grades were like when I applied though
Original post by amg_22

GCSE's:
6 A*
4 A
B
C (in spanish)

You have every chance as long as you do amazingly this summer and read some economicsy books over the summer so you can write about them on your p.s. extra curric' and work experience also needed !

Cambridge ask for all your UMS scores, as do UCL. But you don't put them on your UCAS. LSE are big on good GCSEs but there is no automatic system, I have seen people get in with 6A*s at GCSE :smile:

GOOD LUCK !

Latest