The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A - G485: Fields, Particles & Frontiers of Physics - June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wibletg
Even doing past papers is horrible... 2 hours of your life doing one :frown:

Yup. I felt a bit drained when I realised that. The hour ones were do able in much less time so it was easy to whip through them.

Feel like I should be doing past papers now, especially for G482, but just haven't got to the end of this mission yet :sigh:
Reply 61
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Yup. I felt a bit drained when I realised that. The hour ones were do able in much less time so it was easy to whip through them.

Feel like I should be doing past papers now, especially for G482, but just haven't got to the end of this mission yet :sigh:

Mission? :tongue:

Naah, too early for past papers anyway, you just end up forgetting all the little details that the exam board like you to include for some of the questions :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
Mission? :tongue:

Naah, too early for past papers anyway, you just end up forgetting all the little details that the exam board like you to include for some of the questions :tongue:

Getting through electric and magnetic fields etc is feeling like a mission. Would be better if I'd understood the basics before starting the course but hey ho!

Haha ok so book questions? I have like 6 revision books for this A level, helps to get lots of different questions done for practise. Very worried that I might get stumped too often to be honest.
Reply 63
Getting through electric and magnetic fields etc is feeling like a mission. Would be better if I'd understood the basics before starting the course but hey ho!

Haha ok so book questions? I have like 6 revision books for this A level, helps to get lots of different questions done for practise. Very worried that I might get stumped too often to be honest.

Book questions, my Physics teacher has these worksheets with exam style questions on for each section :tongue:

It's just such a random unit :redface:
Bonsoir

+rep OP, what a lovely organized thread.

Haven't managed to read the whole thread, but at the moment I'm struggling to get through the module and wondered what to expect in the nuclear/ medical/ universe topics... Electricity and magnetic fields was all pretty new to me (or taught very badly previously) so it has been slow getting through, but my knowledge on the latter topics is better (did medical physics stuff on degree and have covered a lot of the universe stuff just by coincidence in the past). Do these later topics differ much to the electricity and magnetism ones? Or is it just more applying formulas?

Also taking G482 in June so need to get back and practise all that at some point before this exam :rolleyes: These modules are so frigging long. Had more time for G481 and 484, the shorter ones - typical! Ah well, I'll press on.

Thank you :smile:
For me, Electric and Magnetic fields is definitely the hardest module :frown:
The later topics are definitely more straightforward :yep:
In the Capacitors Module, you're mainly using formulae and applying them to circuits; the Medical and Space module are more about memorising information imo. With Nuclear physics it's a bit of both.
But yeah, Electric & Magnetic Fields is horrible - i've kind of been avoiding it :ashamed: I did find some good videos on youtube though, so I'm hoping they'll get me through the module.
Good luck with the revision :h:
Original post by magdaplaysbass
Thank you :smile:
For me, Electric and Magnetic fields is definitely the hardest module :frown:
The later topics are definitely more straightforward :yep:
In the Capacitors Module, you're mainly using formulae and applying them to circuits; the Medical and Space module are more about memorising information imo. With Nuclear physics it's a bit of both.
But yeah, Electric & Magnetic Fields is horrible - i've kind of been avoiding it :ashamed: I did find some good videos on youtube though, so I'm hoping they'll get me through the module.
Good luck with the revision :h:

Cheers for the heads up.

Hope it all goes well, expect to see me hear again, probably moaning. I am hoping, though, that once I've been back over G482 electricity etc it'll mean I have a better grounding for this module. It's just bloody getting round to it!
Cheers for the heads up.

Hope it all goes well, expect to see me hear again, probably moaning. I am hoping, though, that once I've been back over G482 electricity etc it'll mean I have a better grounding for this module. It's just bloody getting round to it!

no problem :smile:
haha, I'll be doing exactly the same. I'm just hoping for a nice exam (preferably one with really easy questions on module 1...)
Reply 67
Cheers for the heads up.

Hey this might me useful for you... i'm also doing G482
Original post by singh224
Hey this might me useful for you... i'm also doing G482

Thanks for the link, will definitely help when I come to revise!
Reply 69
THANK YOU SO MUCH whoever made this thread!! i really needed this! i have the worst teacher to top it off i need to get an A to get accepted to my uni. I havent even started properly i just finished universe chapter, a bit of nuclear physics, bit of atomic structure and a bit of magnetic field. By the way what exam is generally harder newtonian world or this? and plus what is the hardest chapter/topic in this exam?
ps. thnx so much for the revision notes i'm gonna be living of this thread!
Original post by stunnaman
THANK YOU SO MUCH whoever made this thread!! i really needed this! i have the worst teacher to top it off i need to get an A to get accepted to my uni. I havent even started properly i just finished universe chapter, a bit of nuclear physics, bit of atomic structure and a bit of magnetic field. By the way what exam is generally harder newtonian world or this? and plus what is the hardest chapter/topic in this exam?
ps. thnx so much for the revision notes i'm gonna be living of this thread!

no problem :h:
I would probably say that this exam's harder than the newtonian world one - there's a lot more content.
I personally think that that Electric/Magnetic Fields questions are the hardest :s-smilie: I really need to start revising that module...
What do you think of the chapters you've looked at so far? :smile:
How is everyone managing to revise the bit on module 5 where we need to explain what happened 10^-43 seconds after the big bang? I'm having real trouble remembering all the times/temperatures :frown:
Reply 72
no problem :h:
I would probably say that this exam's harder than the newtonian world one - there's a lot more content.
I personally think that that Electric/Magnetic Fields questions are the hardest :s-smilie: I really need to start revising that module...
What do you think of the chapters you've looked at so far? :smile:

Yeah but i was imagining maybe because its too much content the exams wouldnt go into too much depth like g484 but then again these examiners are not to be trusted lol. Thankgod for that then because i was finiding magnetic fields hard aslong as thats as hard as it gets i can cope :cool:. but it think magnetic field doesnt have alot of theory questions which may be in our favour.
Well i really loved the universe chapter (not to sound geeky lol) but i found it intrestinf probbaly my favourite and nuclear physics i think is relatively easy so i am not worried about them. but medical physics i havent even touched yet :confused:
wbu?
Reply 73
by the way another good link for revision is http://www.science-spark.co.uk/ks5/g485/index.html
Reply 74
by the way another good link for revision is http://www.science-spark.co.uk/ks5/g485/index.html

These are great, thanks :smile: (All my revision material these days seem to come from other schools... it really makes my school feel bad in comparison...)

+rep for you! :biggrin:
Yeah but i was imagining maybe because its too much content the exams wouldnt go into too much depth like g484 but then again these examiners are not to be trusted lol. Thankgod for that then because i was finiding magnetic fields hard aslong as thats as hard as it gets i can cope :cool:. but it think magnetic field doesnt have alot of theory questions which may be in our favour.
Well i really loved the universe chapter (not to sound geeky lol) but i found it intrestinf probbaly my favourite and nuclear physics i think is relatively easy so i am not worried about them. but medical physics i havent even touched yet :confused:
wbu?

Haha :smile: yeah, the universe chapter is pretty good. I also like capacitors as it's usually just looking at circuits or reading of a graph.
I hated Medical Physics but recently went through my X-Ray notes and it's actually making sense to me now :happy2:
Yeah, I quite like the Nulcear Physics module - especially the Binding Energy questions.

+1 for the revision site - it's brilliant!! :grin: I'll add it to the list :h:
Reply 76
How is everyone managing to revise the bit on module 5 where we need to explain what happened 10^-43 seconds after the big bang? I'm having real trouble remembering all the times/temperatures :frown:

I can't remember the times or the temperatures...

Do we actually need to know these specific parts in detail? :tongue:

My teacher made it out to be that we just need to know generally what's going on and the order in which it happened?
Original post by wibletg
I can't remember the times or the temperatures...

Do we actually need to know these specific parts in detail? :tongue:

My teacher made it out to be that we just need to know generally what's going on and the order in which it happened?

just checked the spec and it says we need to describe it 'qualitively' so I think you're right :h:
feel so relieved - when i looked at the page in the book i just remember thinking there was no way on Earth i would remember it all...
Reply 78
just checked the spec and it says we need to describe it 'qualitively' so I think you're right :h:
feel so relieved - when i looked at the page in the book i just remember thinking there was no way on Earth i would remember it all...

Yeah, that'd be a bit unfair... you'd have to be superhuman to know it in sufficient detail :tongue:

Hey, also taking this exam!

Another thanks for making such a useful revision thread! :biggrin:

Really worried about this exam as there is A LOT to learn by simply memorizing stuff...

I think we should start writing some model answers in this thread! (Like most other revision threads in the past...)

I might begin soon, if I have enough time! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest