The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Hey guys, I'm new here and was wondering if I could get an answer to this:

Basically I need to choose my IB subjects by Thursday (I know, cutting it a little late) and today I realized that I want to do HL Math, but I want my main career to be medicine.

If I were to do:

HL: Bio, Math, Geo/Any other humanities
SL: Eng, Spanish, Chemistry

If I were to take this course, would I still be acceptable into a Medical University? If not, what careers can these subjects potentially lead to.

Thanks!
Original post by Numair

Basically I need to choose my IB subjects by Thursday (I know, cutting it a little late) and today I realized that I want to do HL Math, but I want my main career to be medicine.

If I were to do:

If I were to take this course, would I still be acceptable into a Medical University? If not, what careers can these subjects potentially lead to.

Thanks!

You need HL chemistry for medicine. swap maths and chemistry around and you'll be good to go.
Original post by Numair

If I were to do:

Thanks!

If you want to do HL maths and also medicine, then swap bio for chem, you don't need HL bio for medicine.
Reply 903
Original post by CLS94
Going by what you've written, you seem to be good at English already - HL shouldn't be much of a problem. It does involve reading two novels, but going by what my friends in French/Spanish B HL say it is for coursework, not exams, and you only need to understand them rather than analyse in much detail, which is what you'll do in your A1 Swedish. :smile:

I submitted my IB subjects to my coordinator last month. I am taking:

Math HL
Chemistry HL
French B HL

English A1 Literature SL
Physics SL
Economics SL

My question is basically about the differences between French B SL and HL. Are the two usually taught separately, or is the difference minimal? Can you explain what the whole Literature component is about? Also, I would really like to move Econ up to HL as well, and do 4 HLs. Would this be plausible?
Reply 904
Hello everybody :smile:

I am soon kicking my 16, so this is the time to go for something "Sixth Forming". This "something" is an IB for me.
Considering my interests (languages, physics, economics) I am still unsure which combination is the most appropriate.
So far I have chosen this:

Russian SL
English SL
Economics (SL/HL)
Georgaphy / Psychology (SL/HL).
Physics (HL)
Maths (HL)

As far as you see, I can't decide if Geography or Psychology is a better choice (personally enjoy both). Could you tell me a bit more about these two subjects? Especially the difference between SL and HL.

Also, is HL in Economics too tuff?

Additionally, I often hear that Bussiness & Management is less practical and loved by unis than Economics. Is that true?

Well, what do you think about this combination in general?

Thanks in advance :colondollar:
Reply 905
Which is better to choose. ITGS or History? Im planning on entering medical school later on which means I'll be doing sciences in university. Right now I'm planning to do:

Math HL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
English SL
French SL

But I need to choose between history and ITGS. What do you think?
If you're good at writing essays and memorising, I think History would suit you well. Since you're doing medicine at university, your humanities subject won't really make a difference in your application so you should pick the subject which you like best and which you're more likely to score marks in. Personally, I think History would be harder than ITGS, but it is definitely a much more reputable and respected subject overall.
Reply 907
Hello everyone! You can call me Nadiah if you find my nickname a little too...strange? It's the Japanese word for meteor.

I'm from Malaysia and seriously considering the IB programme. However, the school [or rather, college] I have my sights set on to pursue the programme offers a limited range of subjects. Despite this I still find myself undecided on my subject choices.

The subjects offered at the college, with the ones I'm considering highlighted in bold, are as follows:

English A1, literature (SL/HL) - undecided

French ab initio (SL)
Spanish ab initio (SL)

Business and Management (SL/HL)
Economics (SL/HL)

Biology (SL/HL)
Chemistry (SL/HL)
Physics (SL/HL)

Mathematics (SL/HL) - undecided
Mathematical Studies (SL)

Theatre Arts (SL/HL)

I had taken the local O-level/GSCE equivalent, the Malaysian Certificate of Education, last year with 9A+'s and a single A in biology. But I'm really interested in pursuing a degree in biomedical science so I figured I should do biology HL.

Is it a necessity for a student pursuing the sciences to do maths at HL? I've taken additional maths for my MCE as well as standard-fare maths, in case anyone wants to know.

My alternative is doing English HL. Even though English is supposed to be my second language, I'd feel more comfortable expressing myself in English compared to my native language these days.

In any case, analysing tougher literature would be a great challenge. Though I do admit to give up halfway through re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring [my first time through wasn't very good either - or perhaps I don't have the patience with the typesetting, but that's another matter altogether], I'm trying to make an effort by reading a couple of Shakespeare's plays in full, which is something we never got to do at school...

What do you think? Whether it will be English or maths at HL, please give me your recommendations or suggestions. And please excuse me for the rather long post. Thank you for your attention :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ryuusei18
Hello everyone! You can call me Nadiah if you find my nickname a little too...strange? It's the Japanese word for meteor.

I'm from Malaysia and seriously considering the IB programme. However, the school [or rather, college] I have my sights set on to pursue the programme offers a limited range of subjects. Despite this I still find myself undecided on my subject choices.

The subjects offered at the college, with the ones I'm considering highlighted in bold, are as follows:

English A1, literature (SL/HL) - undecided

French ab initio (SL)
Spanish ab initio (SL)

Business and Management (SL/HL)
Economics (SL/HL)

Biology (SL/HL)
Chemistry (SL/HL)
Physics (SL/HL)

Mathematics (SL/HL) - undecided
Mathematical Studies (SL)

Theatre Arts (SL/HL)

I had taken the local O-level/GSCE equivalent, the Malaysian Certificate of Education, last year with 9A+'s and a single A in biology. But I'm really interested in pursuing a degree in biomedical science so I figured I should do biology HL.

Is it a necessity for a student pursuing the sciences to do maths at HL? I've taken additional maths for my MCE as well as standard-fare maths, in case anyone wants to know.

My alternative is doing English HL. Even though English is supposed to be my second language, I'd feel more comfortable expressing myself in English compared to my native language these days.

In any case, analysing tougher literature would be a great challenge. Though I do admit to give up halfway through re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring [my first time through wasn't very good either - or perhaps I don't have the patience with the typesetting, but that's another matter altogether], I'm trying to make an effort by reading a couple of Shakespeare's plays in full, which is something we never got to do at school...

What do you think? Whether it will be English or maths at HL, please give me your recommendations or suggestions. And please excuse me for the rather long post. Thank you for your attention :smile:

Hello, Meteor (I prefer this :tongue:),

Maths HL is not a necessity for sciences, however, it would be good if you think you can do it. Since I expect you will get several people telling you not to do Maths HL as it's too hard, or not to do IB at all because it's too hard, I will offer my honest advice - if you want to do English HL and wouldn't mind doing Maths HL, do both at HL. 4 HLs and 2 SLs isn't that much different from 3+3 - and you'll get exposure at HL to both number-based and essay-based subjects which is always good. :smile:
Reply 909
Original post by logiadoevus
Hello, Meteor (I prefer this :tongue:),

Maths HL is not a necessity for sciences, however, it would be good if you think you can do it. Since I expect you will get several people telling you not to do Maths HL as it's too hard, or not to do IB at all because it's too hard, I will offer my honest advice - if you want to do English HL and wouldn't mind doing Maths HL, do both at HL. 4 HLs and 2 SLs isn't that much different from 3+3 - and you'll get exposure at HL to both number-based and essay-based subjects which is always good. :smile:

But the college stipulates that I only do 3SL and 3HL subjects. Thanks for your suggestion, by the way - if I had the choice, I'd do it :biggrin:
Original post by ryuusei18
But the college stipulates that I only do 3SL and 3HL subjects. Thanks for your suggestion, by the way - if I had the choice, I'd do it :biggrin:

i agree with logiadoevus but since u dont have a choice to do 4 hl's, heres my advice:
if ur good at math, and i mean real good, and u can definitely manage ur time during ib and keep procrastination to a minimum, definitely choose math hl cz it will contribute more towards ur future since you want a biomedical related career.. otherwise go with english hl if u like analyzing texts and u are good in going into very deep analysis.
gd luck anyway :smile:
Reply 911
Original post by aeyurttaser13
i agree with logiadoevus but since u dont have a choice to do 4 hl's, heres my advice:
if ur good at math, and i mean real good, and u can definitely manage ur time during ib and keep procrastination to a minimum, definitely choose math hl cz it will contribute more towards ur future since you want a biomedical related career.. otherwise go with english hl if u like analyzing texts and u are good in going into very deep analysis.
gd luck anyway :smile:

Thanks for that :smile: I'm not sure I could keep procrastination to a minimum, though. Perhaps English HL/Maths SL it would be. :biggrin:
Reply 912
Hey guys! I want to study medicine later one and having a bit trouble understanding the IB system here in Sweden. This is what I can choose from:

Group 1 Language A: English A, Swedish A, Danish A, Self-taught A (SL)

Group 2 Language B: English B, Swedish B, French B, German B, Spanish B

Group 3 Individuals and Societies: Business and Management, Economics, History, Psychology

Group 4 Experimental Sciences: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Systems and Societies

Group 5 Mathematics: Mathematics HL, Mathematics SL, Mathematical Studies SL

Group 6 Electives: Film or Theatre or an additional subject from group 2, 3 or 4

Is this going to be possible?
Original post by IBarn
Hey guys! I want to study medicine later one and having a bit trouble understanding the IB system here in Sweden. This is what I can choose from:

Group 1 Language A: English A, Swedish A, Danish A, Self-taught A (SL)

Group 2 Language B: English B, Swedish B, French B, German B, Spanish B

Group 3 Individuals and Societies: Business and Management, Economics, History, Psychology

Group 4 Experimental Sciences: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Systems and Societies

Group 5 Mathematics: Mathematics HL, Mathematics SL, Mathematical Studies SL

Group 6 Electives: Film or Theatre or an additional subject from group 2, 3 or 4

Is this going to be possible?

It is theoretically possible, but you'd have to get a special permission from the IB, explaining why you want to do three sciences and skip a group 3 subject - this is allowed only if you can prove why you actually are required to do all three, e.g. if you want to go to a university that requires all three sciences. Otherwise, you'd have to take a group 3 subject as well.

Your other option is, if you'd so wish (it'd be difficult but a classmate of mine did it and was fine), that you could also just take a group 3 subject and the 3 sciences (thus doing 7 subjects) - in this case you would not need the special permission, but would need a lot of determination.

That said, taking 3 sciences anyway would require a lot of determination - but it's been done and I trust you'd do great! :smile:
Reply 914
Original post by logiadoevus
It is theoretically possible, but you'd have to get a special permission from the IB, explaining why you want to do three sciences and skip a group 3 subject - this is allowed only if you can prove why you actually are required to do all three, e.g. if you want to go to a university that requires all three sciences. Otherwise, you'd have to take a group 3 subject as well.

Your other option is, if you'd so wish (it'd be difficult but a classmate of mine did it and was fine), that you could also just take a group 3 subject and the 3 sciences (thus doing 7 subjects) - in this case you would not need the special permission, but would need a lot of determination.

That said, taking 3 sciences anyway would require a lot of determination - but it's been done and I trust you'd do great! :smile:

Thank you for the reply! This is what it says on the school website;
"One subject must be chosen from each of the groups shown above. For students wanting to study medicine or dentistry it is possible to study three sciences and leave out a group 3 subject."

You can check out the link if you'd like! http://www.ib.malmoborgarskola.se/ib-diploma-programme/the-curriculum/page/4/79/

Also, if I choose to do seven subjects, how does the mark system work? You only get grades for 6 subjects, right? (6*7=42+3 for TOK and EE)
Original post by IBarn
Thank you for the reply! This is what it says on the school website;
"One subject must be chosen from each of the groups shown above. For students wanting to study medicine or dentistry it is possible to study three sciences and leave out a group 3 subject."

You can check out the link if you'd like! http://www.ib.malmoborgarskola.se/ib-diploma-programme/the-curriculum/page/4/79/

Well in that case I guess the school is able to arrange the 3 subjects to be studied - ie. they can get the permission I described. So you should be fine! Woo! :smile:

Also, if I choose to do seven subjects, how does the mark system work? You only get grades for 6 subjects, right? (6*7=42+3 for TOK and EE)

If you do 7 subjects, you choose which 6 go on your diploma and which one will be issued as an 'extra certificate' (you choose before taking the exams) - thus, I, for example, write my score as 41+7 (as I got 41 in my diploma subjects and 7 in the extra subject). In practice, however, it does not matter much which subjects are on the diploma and which are not as universities will take into account all your results. :smile:
Hey guys, I'm a Year 2 IB (almost done :biggrin:) and I'm free for the bombardment of questions regarding ANYTHING about IB :smile:

I've created a website/blog where you guys can ask questions, and I've also included on it some of my major IB assignments so you guys can see what they look like/have some guidelines (IAs, EE, TOK etc.)

http://sytywtib.blogspot.ca/
^So You Think You Want To IB
Original post by windsongs4
Hey guys, I'm a Year 2 IB (almost done :biggrin:) and I'm free for the bombardment of questions regarding ANYTHING about IB :smile:

I've created a website/blog where you guys can ask questions, and I've also included on it some of my major IB assignments so you guys can see what they look like/have some guidelines (IAs, EE, TOK etc.)

http://sytywtib.blogspot.ca/
^So You Think You Want To IB

I'd remove the assignments for some extra 6 months or so, just in case. Never know what might happen, and you don't want plagiarism of any kind to be linked to any of your work, ever - and putting stuff on internet so soon is asking for it.
Reply 918
So I've chosen the following subjects for the IB:

English Literature HL
Philosophy HL
History HL
Maths SL
Physics SL
German B SL

I'm ideally wanting to go into TV presenting but I'd like to do a history-related degree, and I'm thinking of upgrading German to HL and English to SL as my Hl options don't seem varied enough - is this true or shall i stick to my original plan? I'm also aiming for Oxford uni and so I've taken maths SL instead of maths studies; i'm predicted A* at GCSE and I don't think I'll have great problems understanding it at IB, but is it really worth it keeping it at standard when my degree is completely unrelated? But if I do Maths Studies will it decrease my chances at getting into Oxford?
Reply 919
My friend applied to Cambridge to do history with maths studies and do't think they like it, especially if you can get an A* at GCSE.

Latest