The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

If you like sleeping, don't stay in Rootes.

I'm a sensitive sleeper, and Rootes has been a bit of a hell for me at night. It's a massive hassle to go to bed at any kind of reasonable time, since the SU will be booming bassy music till like 2am with the noise of hundreds of loud party goers also drifting across to Rootes. Then after this, you'll get the re-arrival of people till about 4am, being sure to make as much noise as possible to let everyone know that they're drunk and HAVING A GREAT TIME. Usually after this it's pretty safe to go to bed, but since the sun rises at 5am you feel a bit dumb going to bed so late.

Rootes suffers not only from being close to the SU noise-wise, but attracts the party-goers which will guarrentee at least one group of people making a big ol' noise at at least one point in the middle of the night and also is not a soundproof building by any means.

Being one of the oldest accommodation blocks on campus, you will hear every door close, every tap being used, every random thud and people stomping up and down stairs and through the corridors. Not to mention people talking inside the building or playing music, that's very much audible no matter where you are too.

I just make this thread now, at 6:30am, as I've been kept up super-late for the second night in a row. Tonight I've had to deal with the usual noise till about 3:30am, but from there on, I've been kept up by people talking in the room below me. I don't know what their deal is with pulling an all nighter with one another, but I've been lying in bed for hours listening to the intonations in their speech, with the occasional loud laugh or random noise.

It's just incredibly frustrating for someone like me who needs a lot of sleep and struggles to get to sleep unless it's silent. Tonight may be an extreme case where I've not been able to sleep at all, but the point still very much stands that I've had a torrid time sleep-wise here and can't wait to be living elsewhere next year. Where I'll be free to sleep whenever I want.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's not good. Out of interest, when you applied did you specify a noisy area or a quiet area?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by ttoby
That's not good. Out of interest, when you applied did you specify a noisy area or a quiet area?

I was an idiot and put that I wanted to be with 'sociable, outgoing people' rather than 'quiet, studious people'. Rootes was my 3rd choice. A bunch of people in Arthur Vick, my first choice, had Rootes down as their first choice. I can only assume my choosing the 'outgoing' option was a massive swing in the decision to put me here. I regret it.
Reply 3
It should die down now that exams are about right? :s-smilie:

Friday nights are always noisy wherever you are (when it comes to soundproofing, I don't think the university had that as a top priority when they were building ANY of the blocks :s-smilie:) , but last night was Skool Dayz which always attracts a phenomenal amount of people, all drinking themselves silly, but it's only twice a term (I did walk through Rootes at 11.30 last night and had my eardrums pleasantly assaulted by screaming girls and shouting boys - more so than I can remember, even on a Pop! day :tongue:)

Have you tried earplugs? It may also be a small consolation, but be glad you're not in Whitefields :yep: . I'm surprised those blocks haven't shaken themselves to Kenilworth with the amount of bass they feel :lol:

If the worst comes to the worst, adapt your sleeping hours - become nocturnal for the next 4/5 weeks and spend the nights at the library being productive :dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by Nirgilis
It should die down now that exams are about right? :s-smilie:

Friday nights are always noisy wherever you are (when it comes to soundproofing, I don't think the university had that as a top priority when they were building ANY of the blocks :s-smilie:) , but last night was Skool Dayz which always attracts a phenomenal amount of people, all drinking themselves silly, but it's only twice a term (I did walk through Rootes at 11.30 last night and had my eardrums pleasantly assaulted by screaming girls and shouting boys - more so than I can remember, even on a Pop! day :tongue:)

Have you tried earplugs? It may also be a small consolation, but be glad you're not in Whitefields :yep: . I'm surprised those blocks haven't shaken themselves to Kenilworth with the amount of bass they feel :lol:

If the worst comes to the worst, adapt your sleeping hours - become nocturnal for the next 4/5 weeks and spend the nights at the library being productive :dontknow:

I have lectures for another 3 weeks, lol
Reply 5
Original post by morrison11

It's just incredibly frustrating for someone like me who needs a lot of sleep and struggles to get to sleep unless it's silent. Tonight may be an extreme case where I've not been able to sleep at all, but the point still very much stands that I've had a torrid time sleep-wise here and can't wait to be living elsewhere next year. Where I'll be free to sleep whenever I want.

Sorry to hear about your exaspheration! I also like alot of sleep and need silence and no light (thick blinds aha), I need my eight hours! When I visited Rootes the people there told me they didn't find sleeping too much of a problem, so until now I haven't been worried about planning to put it first choice. I mean I don't mind having to use earplugs and stuff, I can even manage to sleep with those sucky headphones in playing music. I am pretty outgoing and more often than not will want to join the screaming people coming back from the SU I imagine... :tongue: so hopefully Rootes noise won't be too much of a problem.
Reply 6
Absolutely seconded! Rootes was my fourth choice and I put down that I wanted to be in a quiet area ): I'm in D block, so the furthest from the SU, but I can still usually hear it; the issues with hearing EVERY SINGLE DOOR SHUT is also very pertinent for me! The biggest problem I have is with my next door neighbour, who is a foreign student and therefore calls his family back home at crazy times in the morning because of the time difference, I suppose. The walls are so thin though that no matter how quietly he takls I can still hear every word! It doesn't help that I have a 15mm gap under my door either, every little noise gets to me |:
Counting the days until I move out!
I'm in Tocil, and it is completely different in contrast to how this sounds. It's always extremely quiet over here.

There are plenty of rooms available here too as half of my flatmates were internationals from terms 1 and 2, so have headed back to their respective universities.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think you should change the name of the thread to 'most social warwick accommodation' :colondollar:
earplugs? even the cheap ones block out an amazing amont of noise.
Oh Rootes. Such good memories from that place.

If you wanted quiet you should have gone to Westwood.
Reply 11
Tbh you knew when putting it down that Rootes is not quiet...unless you actually ask for a quiet area. At this point in the year it would be too much hassle to move, so do what you can to make your situation better. Talk to the people who are in your kitchen and ask them to be a bit quieter now that exam season is kicking in, they should be reasonable about it. And you can always wear earplugs if you want the extra quiet.
Reply 12
Original post by edededd
Accommodation allocation is such a mystery - I'm pretty confident after speaking to many people this year that they use postcodes in some way to allocate accommodation. So many people I know from pretty affluent London boroughs and other affluent parts of the country put Rootes as first choice and ended up in the expensive accommodation like Bluebell/JM/AV when they had these as 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice.

I'm from an 'affluent' part of the country but I'm in Rootes. Myth busted. :tongue:

Once again I've been kept up by these guys. I don't actually even know who live below me, but I'm pretty sure it's a guy, and both times he's been talking with a girl down there. I would love to know why they feel the need to be staying up so late with each other and talking through the night. Once again have plucked up the courage to go wake up the resident tutor to sort it out. This time it should be a fine (we all got emailed today about a now zero-tolerance approach to noise at night), and I hope to hell he gets it through his thick-skull that he's keeping people up and that it's not okay. I figure it's important to report it now, rather than let it keep happening and potentially end up keeping me up the night before an exam or something. It's at the cost of a 9am lecture tomorrow, I have 3 lectures throughout the day (can't just nap after it or something) so getting something like 3 or 4 hours sleep is not worth it at all. :mad:
(edited 11 years ago)
If you have a problem Morrison, why don't you go talk to the person below you rather than Waking up the personal tutor at 3 am? It seems very pathetic (and extremely vindictive) to wish someone should get a fine when they probably dont even know they're keeping you up.

Perhaps they were having some kind of crisis? Maybe you should be a little more considerate of other people, and just go talk to them rather than ranting on a website.
Original post by I<3Morrison11
If you have a problem Morrison, why don't you go talk to the person below you rather than Waking up the personal tutor at 3 am? It seems very pathetic (and extremely vindictive) to wish someone should get a fine when they probably dont even know they're keeping you up.

Perhaps they were having some kind of crisis? Maybe you should be a little more considerate of other people, and just go talk to them rather than ranting on a website.

lol cool username.
does it make you say ROOTES, BLOODY ROOTES!!!!!

Reply 16
Original post by I<3Morrison11

Wanna make out?
(edited 11 years ago)
Rootes sounds AWESOME to me.
Reply 18
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Rootes sounds AWESOME to me.

to each his own
Original post by morrison11
to each his own

I understand why you'd be frustrated at people making excessive noise by the way, but seriously a guy and a girl sitting in their room TALKING? What's the issue there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending